Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LC 120 2003 left side lean

GSM House

Country Flag
montenegro
Hello,guys. I`m new here since I`ve bought a used 2003 LC120 D4D 3.0 2 months ago. It`s in fantastic condition, from mechanics to looks, but there`s one thing that I`ve noticed few days ago - the left side of the car is slightly leaned. It`s approx 2-3cm, but still i want to fix it. maybe I`ve bought the car with that fault or it happened since I drive it, but since it`s always parked somewhere on tarmac, I didn`t notice it till now. I tried to search for a solution but couldn`t find anything except some people writing about the infamous Toyota left side lean or height sensors, but no further explanations. Could someone of the more experienced owners tell me how to fix this or at least point to some explanation?

THX in advance

Last edited:
Springs need replacing at front? Guess as its left hand drive thats the side with most wear.

Do the pair otherwise it'll lean the other way.

Pete

Last edited:
Put someone in the drivers seat then take a look , i bet you find it sits level when its driven and that's when it matters .

Put someone in the drivers seat then take a look , i bet you find it sits level when its driven and that's when it matters .
will try tomorrow...but if it levels up, what does it mean actually? and is it a common fault? do I have to be worried? btw - driving, cornering and all feels perfect...

All cars lean , most towards the drivers side as the driver is always in it so the suspension that side has more work to do and perhaps ages slightly faster . I reckon the previous owner had a fat passenger and thats all there is to it . Its not a fault its a characteristic , one that will go away on its own with time if you regularly drive without passengers .

All cars lean , most towards the drivers side as the driver is always in it so the suspension that side has more work to do and perhaps ages slightly faster . I reckon the previous owner had a fat passenger and thats all there is to it . Its not a fault its a characteristic , one that will go away on its own with time if you regularly drive without passengers .
i see....well, time will tell...and what about height sensors, do they have smth to do with this? is there an explanation how to check or clean them?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No point in me replying i still can't set a video to record but i think if its taken you 2 months to notice the lean then its not actually a problem .

No point in me replying i still can't set a video to record but i think if its taken you 2 months to notice the lean then its not actually a problem .
well, it´s my second car, didn´t drive it so much these days....

THX for replying

does this one have air bags or coils?
if air bags just adjust the leveling valve.
coils if nothing is broken it will need new coils as they will be worn out.
stu

does this one have air bags or coils?
if air bags just adjust the leveling valve.
coils if nothing is broken it will need new coils as they will be worn out.
stu
It has air bags. So how to adjust the leveling valve?

Shayne, you're a star! :clap:

you should have a leveling valve which should have a rod on it. you need to adjust the length of the rod to give you the correct height. you could also have a leak so its lossing pressure which will give you your droop.
i would get air pressure up then spray all air pipes, fittings and air bags to see if you are losing pressure. use washing up liquid in water and sprsy on using a water sprayer.
if no leaks then adjust the rod. if you post some pictures of the set up i might be able to help more but i have not seen this set up on a 120.
stu

Is the lean at the front or back or both? Levelling air bags using the very fragile ride height sensor won't alter the front in any way - that's a standard strut on a TEMS-enabled shock which may also be giving up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Is the lean at the front or back or both? Levelling air bags using the very fragile ride height sensor won't alter the front in any way - that's a standard strut on a TEMS-enabled shock which may also be giving up.

As I can see,the lean is only on rear. The former owner told me that he replaced both rear air bags about 70 000km or year an a half ago. Another thing-when I put or remove load from both sides,the active height control work and rises or lowers the car.

Ok if they were replaced (wonder why - they don't fail often at all) you may need to check all the push-fit air hose joints. One may be leaking ...

Ok if they were replaced (wonder why - they don't fail often at all) you may need to check all the push-fit air hose joints. One may be leaking ...
he said that one was leaking after a tire exploded in high speed and both were replaced by original ones in Toyota service...well, I can only trust his words or not...I will see if the joints are leaking, at least the ones I can see. But if there's no leakage, can someone tell me the position of the leveling valve? I consider myself technicaly skilled for this job, the only problem can be the lack of appropriate tools, if it comes to that. I would be happy if I can fix this by myself, not for saving money, but to learn more about this car. I'm so satisfied with it for now and I intend to stay in the Land Cruiser family for long time, so this is this is the first task for me.

Last edited:
If you put the suspension in high and lock it there you'll have access to all the air system, from the compressor and drier to the hoses that run into the top of the bellows on each side. The height sensor adjuster is a tiny link-adjuster on each side - cant remember where exactly in relation to the rear wheel but close inside the rear wheel well.

I can't stress enough how easy they are to destroy - they're in the firing line for road salt, water and whatever else the tyres flick up, and will probably be corroded so take great care. They are NOT cheap to replace - even the Milners copies are expensive ...

ToyoDIY should show the rough location of the adjusters.

Cheers

If you put the suspension in high and lock it there you'll have access to all the air system, from the compressor and drier to the hoses that run into the top of the bellows on each side. The height sensor adjuster is a tiny link-adjuster on each side - cant remember where exactly in relation to the rear wheel but close inside the rear wheel well.

I can't stress enough how easy they are to destroy - they're in the firing line for road salt, water and whatever else the tyres flick up, and will probably be corroded so take great care. They are NOT cheap to replace - even the Milners copies are expensive ...

ToyoDIY should show the rough location of the adjusters.

Cheers

THX for all advices, will try tomorrow if I have time. In 2 days I have to go on a trip for more than 3000km and it will be with the LC. Since there`s no one near my place to fix this in short time instead of me - most probably that I will ride the car in this condition. Everything else works perfect, I tried it today for 200km, so I guess it will be ok for the trip. I will post results of my work here.

wish me luck ;)

Back