Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LC 90 Series - Explain "generations" please?

TALAMAN

Country Flag
cyprus
Hi Folks!
My first thread on here and I still have no LC! I have just joined and am soon to start looking for a LC here in Cyprus where I live.

I have been reading an awful lot, and people often mention the "generation" of the vehicle somewhere in the text. I have searched for the specifics on this term on the forum to no avail.

Would someone be kind enough to educate me on the generations of the 90 series please? Also, I am having a little trouble getting my head around the date order in which the various engines were intoduced, so if you could point me toward this info I would be doubly grateful.

Thanks
Geoff

When you say generation, I think you are referring to the way a particular model evolves while keeping the same name. Similar to the term 'mark' for a lot of cars. The 90 series is a generation of landcruiser in itself.

90 = short wheelbase
95 = long wheelbase

1996-2000 - 1kz-te engine... rotary fuel pump, less power (jap imports have an intercooler)

2001-2002 - 1kd-ftv engine... common rail fuel, intercooler, more power, but not as quiet as the kz

Hope this helps

Thanks Bob, certainly does help - definitely didn't know 95 was LWB!

So much to learn! Trying to delete Suzuki and insert Land Cruiser info in to the brainbox!
Thanks for your time.
Geoff

PS> So what generation is the 90/95? 6th?
J40, J50, J60, J70, J80 J90?

lc_history.jpg

90 (2 door) 95 (4 door)

More like 7th, J2, J4, J5, J6, J7, J8, and J9 I think...

Was the J3 a 100% military prototype that was never released on the market?

Several generations run concurrently, as Toyota built trucks for so many markets and purposes. Eg, the 90 and 100 series ran together, the 100 being the premium and slightly heavier duty model, with the 90 being considered the light duty (despite being stronger than most!) The 70 series also still built for Aus, Africa and Middle East.. even though it was first introduced nearly 30 years ago

The graphic above shows how complex it is!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
In Cyprus i think you will be looking at the Prado 90 or 95 , things varied a little depending on which market was aimed at though at the heart of it they are all the same . A UK 90 series came with a rear difflock but no intercooler , the Prado version had an intercooler but no rear difflock .

I may be wrong but i don't think the 1KD (also known as the D4D) engine version made it into the Prado 90 , there's not many of them about even in the UK which leads me to believe it was a evolution cut short by the introduction of the 120 series which by and large replaced the 90 series .

Thanks all for the helpful replies. fbnss that diagram is hand and saved! I went online to see if I could find a higher resolution copy (and failed :-( ) but di see this - sorry I can only post a link cos I am a newb and may apparently be a "bot" ! LOL! Here is a link to another interesting doc which you may well have seen before.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1IdUWsmh9...i1wAh7M/s1600/the+history+of+land+cruiser.jpg

Shanyne, you are correct in what you say about the Cyprus vehicles. However, there is an advert I just spotted for a 200 LC 90 (LWB 95) with the D4D - looks to be in nice condition but they want 12000 Euros! Not sure if that one has a D/L or not.

Geoff

From what i've seen of the vehicles in Cyprus (no rust to speak of) your looking at a pretty bomb proof truck , injector seals and suction control valves are the only failures i've ever heard of and not many of those .

Personal opinion i'd pay more for that than i would a 120 LC half its age and the mrs agrees , depends what you want it for though i suppose we both agree my brothers 120 is a nice car it just so happens we both like 4x4 trucks .

Thanks all for the helpful replies. fbnss that diagram is hand and saved! I went online to see if I could find a higher resolution copy (and failed :-( ) but di see this - sorry I can only post a link cos I am a newb and may apparently be a "bot" ! LOL! Here is a link to another interesting doc which you may well have seen before.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1IdUWsmh9...i1wAh7M/s1600/the+history+of+land+cruiser.jpg

Shanyne, you are correct in what you say about the Cyprus vehicles. However, there is an advert I just spotted for a 200 LC 90 (LWB 95) with the D4D - looks to be in nice condition but they want 12000 Euros! Not sure if that one has a D/L or not.

Geoff

Hi Geoff, I’ve just followed your link, but take care, the graphic is wrong, well regarding the 80 Series it is anyway, it says 1996 to 2002, when it should be 1992 to 1998 AFAIK and I’m ready to be wrong.

Fore sure there are plenty of 1992 to 1995 80’s still on the road (including my 1995) so it must be wrong!

Hi Geoff, I’ve just followed your link, but take care, the graphic is wrong, well regarding the 80 Series it is anyway, it says 1996 to 2002, when it should be 1992 to 1998 AFAIK and I’m ready to be wrong.

Fore sure there are plenty of 1992 to 1995 80’s still on the road (including my 1995) so it must be wrong!

Didn't Toyota continue producing 80's in south America after they finished in Japan?

Didn't Toyota continue producing 80's in south America after they finished in Japan?

They built the 90 series there until about 2009 I think. It was badged as a Meru.. saw one in a Toyota dealer in Brazil brand new in 2006

Geoff
Have you got a link for the advert Geoff? A pic will tell us what spec it is.
When we were there there was a mixture of Prados and Colorados about and for sale, like you say, very high prices though. We saw only 1 D4D Collie on the road in silver and it was not unsurprisingly mint condition.
I didn't see a D4D Collie for sale then but that was a fortnight ago..

VX spec, unusual to have leather in Cyprus. Any idea on the mileage? I bet its mint underneath though.

Not sure, may go and look just to help gain idea of market. Don't personally like the colour, hope the Cyprus D$ D range has the lovely green that the older models have.

Thanks Andy, begining to look like I need some beer in the fridge for when you next come to Paphos :)

Geoff

Not sure, may go and look just to help gain idea of market. Don't personally like the colour, hope the Cyprus D$ D range has the lovely green that the older models have.

Thanks Andy, begining to look like I need some beer in the fridge for when you next come to Paphos :)

Geoff

Yes I guess it was a 90's thing, the two tone paintwork which I never took to.The all green Collies do look good but are quite rare even in the UK. I personally wouldn't have bought my black Collie if it had had a silver bottom half. IMO the D4D ones are better but dearer and I wouldn't disregard the earlier 1KZ model Prado or Cruiser.
What?? beer in the fridge when its 25 degrees, not me matey, I'm teetotal :whistle:.

Thanks again Andy. Glad to hear that there is another teetotaler on here! :)
I have not ruled out the 1KZ as they are a good bit cheaper. I need to work out what the best vehicle is for me 1KD or 1KZ as we are talking significant difference in price. I will need to make 2 or 3 100Km journeys a week fairly regularly so "economy" (haha) may be important factor.

I cover 650-700 km every week, and that's pretty much a full tank, with a bit to spare before the light comes on.

Back