Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lc work in midlands ?

Michael A S

Help please. Anyone out there recommend someone private and midlands-based o.n.o. to do work on my LC?

What do you mean by private? As in not a business but willing to work for money?

Help please. Anyone out there recommend someone private and midlands-based o.n.o. to do work on my LC?
There's a small garage in Stourbridge called Motoweld I can recommend if that's close enough and counts as 'private'.

Thanks for responses, but just to explain more I meant an independent garage/mechanic who doesn't work for a monster dealer charging horrendous hourly rates. Very happy to pay a more than fair price for good work. At the mo I have some minor electrical issues, but I am also looking longer term when something mechanical needs fixing. I know - it is unlikely as I am only on 170K miles - but I was a Landie owner for many years so am used to having to be prepared .

Thanks for responses, but just to explain more I meant an independent garage/mechanic who doesn't work for a monster dealer charging horrendous hourly rates. Very happy to pay a more than fair price for good work. At the mo I have some minor electrical issues, but I am also looking longer term when something mechanical needs fixing. I know - it is unlikely as I am only on 170K miles - but I was a Landie owner for many years so am used to having to be prepared .

:laughing-rolling:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think what Clive's trying to say is your looking for a needle in a haystack lol . I get what you mean though your looking for a "mechanic" who can diagnose and fix a problem unlike the "fitters" who work at main stealerships that will remove parts and replace them with new at random until they accidentally remove the problem safe in the knowledge its only your money they are wasting .

Best mechanics i know are both my uncles , the eldest has been 100% blind for over 30 years but main dealers seek his advice when they are baffled by a problem , the other is 100% illiterate which ironically seems to give him the edge over others because he has to work out how and why a thing works even before he attempts to fix it , he's the guy you want when a very expensive part is bust and needs replacing , somehow he always comes up with some sort of fix .

Unfortunately both are a long way from the midlands so neither are any good to you .

I think what Clive's trying to say is your looking for a needle in a haystack lol . I get what you mean though your looking for a "mechanic" who can diagnose and fix a problem unlike the "fitters" who work at main stealerships that will remove parts and replace them with new at random until they accidentally remove the problem safe in the knowledge its only your money they are wasting .

Best mechanics i know are both my uncles , the eldest has been 100% blind for over 30 years but main dealers seek his advice when they are baffled by a problem , the other is 100% illiterate which ironically seems to give him the edge over others because he has to work out how and why a thing works even before he attempts to fix it , he's the guy you want when a very expensive part is bust and needs replacing , somehow he always comes up with some sort of fix .

Unfortunately both are a long way from the midlands so neither are any good to you .

Thanks Shayne you are right I am looking for a proper mechanic who knows LCs and doesn't charge main dealer prices. I thought it wouldn't be that laughable an idea - but it was worth a try. Stourbridge is not too far so I will look at Motoweld if nothing else turns up, unless your uncles want to move East a bit....

I'm a refugee from the Isle of Man so it would be a long haul sw for them i'm afraid . It might make your search easier if you remove the need for LC experience , a proper mechanic is not vehicle specific maybe if you take a look at modified car forums you might here tell of a good all rounder in your area ?

I'm a refugee from the Isle of Man so it would be a long haul sw for them i'm afraid . It might make your search easier if you remove the need for LC experience , a proper mechanic is not vehicle specific maybe if you take a look at modified car forums you might here tell of a good all rounder in your area ?
You are right, LC knowledge is not essential but a bonus, but what's a "modified car forum" ?

The sort of place boy racers gather online to discuss who has the fastest stickers and the like , suffice to say they are always in need of a mechanic and few have the funds for main dealer prices . So if you see a few recommendations such as "pop down to Eddies and he will sort it" or some such , the likelihood Eddie owns a backstreet garage and doesn't over charge .

Where abouts are you ? i can strongly recommend my village garage in Earlswood who
work on all my cars

Obviously the best place to start is by asking on here. It's free and we usually know what it is.

Hi Michael.
I know a guy at Market Drayton who's a decent chap and does a lot with cruisers.
its far from a garage type place but he has a love for the cruisers and he knows a lot about them. I can PM you his number if you like.
Only thing I would say is that a quick turn around isn't always possible.
Karl

The sort of place boy racers gather online to discuss who has the fastest stickers and the like , suffice to say they are always in need of a mechanic and few have the funds for main dealer prices . So if you see a few recommendations such as "pop down to Eddies and he will sort it" or some such , the likelihood Eddie owns a backstreet garage and doesn't over charge .

Ah - all clear now, thanks Shayne

Obviously the best place to start is by asking on here. It's free and we usually know what it is.

Yes thanks Chris I have taken advantage of loads of good advice and info on the forum, but I am limited on working space and ability so the time comes when I do need to shell out for work done by someone else. It is of great value at least to be able to relay the tons of useful (and even some not so helpful) forum chat to an outsider to save time and money!

Hi Michael.
I know a guy at Market Drayton who's a decent chap and does a lot with cruisers.
its far from a garage type place but he has a love for the cruisers and he knows a lot about them. I can PM you his number if you like.
Only thing I would say is that a quick turn around isn't always possible.
Karl
Thanks Karl his details would be good please

Julian Voelcker (member here) is only 60 miles from you, there are few people who know more about Land Cruisers.

Back