Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LC120 Auto gear selector fix.

oblertone

Having lived with my '03 120 for a month now I decided to research the lack of 'hold' in 3 (third gear) which led via another part of this forum to pradopoint where a repair kit was available.
I was a bit dubious, not of the kit but of my limited technical ability but it wasn't too expensive so I ordered one.
It duly arrived from Aus along with pictorial fitting instructions via email, what could possibly go wrong. The short answer is, nothing; it took me 20 mins and now I have a fully functioning gear selector. I even managed to retrieve the errant OEM part from the bottom of the selector case with a magnetic screwdriver.
I think this fix has probably been subject of discussion on here before, but I couldn't find it; hence this thread.

Yup easy enough to do and the chap on Pradopoint was very helpful indeed. I did this replacement about a year ago and I was sure I posted this somewhere on here but alas I can't find it at all.

Don't suppose you took any pics while doing it? It might help others who are worried about doing it with their technical abilities :)

Did exactly same to mine,
I will look see if I took photographs

I didn't take any pics, but am happy to post the link to the fitting instructions if that is ok with forum moderators ?

Essentially the problem is caused by a short metal rod that sits in a 'silo' on top of a spring adjacent to the main shift lever; the tip of this rod follows a greased track and dependent on where you are on the track, selects an appropriate gear. The problem is that the OEM rod is too short and can pop out of its silo, meaning you loose the ability to hold a particular gear. The solution is a longer rod and a shorter spring which comes in a kit from a nice chap in Aus, along with a spring washer needed for reassembly.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
this sounds like a good thing, I just lost my gear holding for 3 during Romania trip, was always quite stiff to move from d-3 and from 2-l, then one day I tried to move into 3, more stiff than usual but it moved, then moving back required a hefty push and something pinged and it didn't hold 3 anymore, but 2-l moves smoothly now lol. sound familiar issue to above fix?

Yes same issue as what I had. Search on Pradopoint and register and then contact the seller. Reliable chap and it should fix your problem.

Back