Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LC5 Suspension Woes

freddie_berks

I seem to have a problem with my rear suspension on my 55 reg 120 series LC5 4.0 petrol with only 43k miles. After a trip to Brecon (no offroading though), it's riding really high (25" wheel arch to wheel centre) and is rock hard. Still goes up or down around 25 mm with the H / N / L settings. Having read around the forums a fault with the rear suspension sensors seems to be common. Are there any simple tests I can do to diagnose before it needs to go to a dealer.

BTDT :)

One (or both) of your ride height sensors are dirty or busted. You can try opening them up and cleaning them, but this is really a job for Mr T who sorted mine for me.

Be prepared - depending on the fault this may become expensive. Get a quote if no extended warranty then get your parts from Ian Rubie on this forum.

Cheers

OK thanks.

Just tried something and it seems to have reset the system back to normal - selected low height, pushed height control "off" and drove off... within a few hundred yards suspension height settled to normal height and softness!

Does this point to an intermittent fault or had I somehow tricked it by doing something stupid in the first place. Could it be related to new tyres being fitted a few days ago and having the car jacked up and suspension "hanging"?

No shouldn't be tyre-fitting related unless the spanner monkey damaged the sensors :)

Maybe intermittent - winter salted roads are known problem-causers. So probably best to climb under and inspect / clean as best you can.

When this happened to me it was intermittent at first but then terminal :(

Is excessive dust a known problem?

I have a warranty with the car - not Toyota so bit of pot luck. They've already paid out for a starter motor, but wouldn't cover a leak in the air con. It's not on the exclusion list so I may be OK.

Any idea of the cost of parts vs labour / hours. Is this something a competent local garage could undertake?

Haven't heard that dust is a problem - usually it's just corrosion. I think replacing the sensors, if that's the problem, seems to be quite straightforward. But I think Mr T is probably a good start for a proper diagnosis...

Cheers

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've ignored this for quite a while as it settled down and only re-appeared every so often, and then setting to low would typically fix the problem. Had Mr T look at the problem last service and one of the rear height sensors is physically broken and that'll be around £450 inc vat to replace the sensor. Is this a viable DIY fix?

Any ideas on to proceed - have been thinking around a lift, but as it's an LC5 with air suspension, seems complex.

Yes Milners sell them for lots less, check them out. Also try Karl / Steff for 2nd hand parts

Cheers

Back