Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LC90 VX - 97 colorado 3.4 v6 or 3.0TD - fuel debate, which to get, seeing v6 sunday

I think the only true difference is one (possibly the FX) came without the wider body panels and sidesteps . Everything else was an optional extra , so they built all trucks at exactly the same spec then removed things to produce cheaper more basic models .

Incidentally i've just been collared by a potential LC enthusiast in B&Q carpark , he wanted my truck . I asked him to guess its age and value . 2 or 3 years old and between 8 and 12 grand he said !

A 15 year old 90 i got for 3 grand and spent a grand tarting up painting the body panels and side steps , adding coil spacers and putting bigger boots on :icon-biggrin:

Then on the way home in slow traffic i seen a green 95 a few lanes over with the driver obviously taking a keen interest in my truck . I gave him the thumbs up and got a laugh and a wave in return , the 90 series is starting to gather recognition it seems in the same way the 80 did before it :dance:
truck002_zpsa2078ad4.jpg

I think the only true difference is one (possibly the FX) came without the wider body panels and sidesteps . Everything else was an optional extra , so they built all trucks at exactly the same spec then removed things to produce cheaper more basic models .

Incidentally i've just been collared by a potential LC enthusiast in B&Q carpark , he wanted my truck . I asked him to guess its age and value . 2 or 3 years old and between 8 and 12 grand he said !

A 15 year old 90 i got for 3 grand and spent a grand tarting up painting the body panels and side steps , adding coil spacers and putting bigger boots on :icon-biggrin:

Then on the way home in slow traffic i seen a green 95 a few lanes over with the driver obviously taking a keen interest in my truck . I gave him the thumbs up and got a laugh and a wave in return , the 90 series is starting to gather recognition it seems in the same way the 80 did before it :dance:
truck002_zpsa2078ad4.jpg

Now that looks the part!

but size wise, how does that compare to my CRV 2002 52 plate.

Trying to explain this to my wife is hard work.

She is confused how the 3 door is almost as big as a CRV.

Has anyone got the measurements wheelbase etc for the 3 and 5 doors LC, so I can compare them to the CRV.

I have heard that the 3D back seats have the same space as 5 door and more boot space!

Trying to get that around my head...anyone!

Mine will comfortably carry 5 fat adults and a months shopping if thats any help the only downside is access to the rear seats is limited . I suggest you take the wife and kids along to a test drive and pile them all in . First time i had about 40 stone of adult kids in the back our daughter said next time she will bring a table and a flask of tea its so big . As for driving comparing it to a landrover is like comparing a Porsche to a Ford KA !

I think i need to check out a 3d to put my mind at rest.

I decided to give myself until August to look for one

so will be doing loads more research and save a little more

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you are using it as a daily transport for your family, then I would go with the 5dr. IMHO you'll get fed up with getting your kids in and out of the back seats pretty quickly.

I have heard that the 3D back seats have the same space as 5 door and more boot space!

Not sure how you work that out? I agree that both the rear seat in the 3 door and "middle" seat in the 5 door models may have similar space but the boot space in the 5dr in truly enormous, i.e. I can get a adult bike in there upright.

Of course if you use the 3rd row of seats, then the boot space is small (and perhaps smaller than the 3door's - but then we are comparing the 5door in 8 seater mode.

I posted some pics of the rear boot space on the 5dr in a "seat belt" related thread - I'll try and find them for you.

The SWB is not far off in size to a Disco, Just a little narrower maybe. I wouldn't want to be in the back of it with 2 other bloke for a long run but anything up to 2 adults and a child should get in there fine. Now with mine being raised and having no side steps it is quite a job to get in and out off even for me as the driver. The wife finds it next to impossible not to show her knockers and it is a strugle for anyone over 15 to get in the back. All of this was much better when it was standard but IMHO still not great. The problem as I see it is the doors. Now lets take a look at the Pug 206 SWMBO used to have. the front door on the 5 door model is about 10 inches shorter than on the 3 door. This extra opening gives much better access to the rear.

Add that to the fact that on the LC the Drivers seat isn't designed to allow access to the back and is not on the same ratchet system as the passenger side. and the headroom is quite poor going through the door.

I would say that if you are using it day to day as a family car you would very quickly regret the decision to not have held out for a 5. Don't get me wrong once inside the SWB is cavernous its just the getting in and out that lets it down

Hi Guys

Hope all is well with you lot. Apologies for not being on for a while, but sister's wedding and loads of house jobs, put the car hunt on hold.

Latest update and more help needed.

Just came back with the wee man looking at a GX 99 T reg black LC. 130K on the clock, but with history and belt change and recent service bits done and a service book with loads of stamps and paperwork.

Chap just texted me thanking me for coming and checking the car, he does not use it much now, so time to move on. I guess he was honest enough.

Anyway - first chance I have had to sit in a GX model with cloth seats. The wee man preferred them and said much softer than the leather one.

The test drive was smooth as usual through some country lanes (the chap drove as he knew the lanes).

The said best offer he had was 2700 - is that the norm for a GX with 130k T reg and very good history.

Only thing which was down (on my side) was that it's got a tow bar and has pulled a caravan (his last year). Am I being too picky on the tow?

I wanted to check if anyone has got a good link to compare the VX vs GX for a 99 T reg?

I know a chap had some offers 2700, but is it taking the mick, going in with a slight lower offer and being honest and stating, that what you have on the table to offer?

Is it OK to ask if you can have the car to take to a garage to have a good look underneath (I did look and saw rust marks, but unsure if normal rust or alot of rust)?

I think 2500 is about the right price but think 2400 is about right.

I have not looked at the auction market for a while and wondered what the market like at the moment and the above questions are ok after going to have a first 20 min look.

Many thanks upfront and hope everyone is enjoying the sun (apart from the odd typical showers)

I wouldn't worry about it towing a caravan. The 90 is well able for pulling. I think its fair to ask to get a mechanical inspection. That mileage seems low enough and if it has a full history then go for it. You will not be disappointed.

I know a chap had some offers 2700, but is it taking the mick, going in with a slight lower offer and being honest and stating, that what you have on the table to offer?

Is it OK to ask if you can have the car to take to a garage to have a good look underneath (I did look and saw rust marks, but unsure if normal rust or alot of rust)?

I think 2500 is about the right price but think 2400 is about right.

I have not looked at the auction market for a while and wondered what the market like at the moment and the above questions are ok after going to have a first 20 min look.
Whether you would be taking the mick with that offer is down to the seller but I think I'd tell you where to go at that price. Why do you need to put it on a ramp to check for rust, you can almost walk underneath an LC anyway. I wouldn't worry about it towing a trailer, they are designed for it. Buying from auction is very hit and miss and you pay the price for taking a chance.

Whether you would be taking the mick with that offer is down to the seller but I think I'd tell you where to go at that price. Why do you need to put it on a ramp to check for rust, you can almost walk underneath an LC anyway. I wouldn't worry about it towing a trailer, they are designed for it. Buying from auction is very hit and miss and you pay the price for taking a chance.

I know, I know, but usually when I go and see cars. I go in with a offer of what I think it is worth. Taking into account all the flowery description which normally is way beyond what the car is on show/offer.

I know some sellers tell you where to go and most sellers will be happy to settle/agree on a price to get a sale.

Tow noted - with ask more questions on what they towed

Rust my garage friend always says, no matter what the paperwork says and condition on top - get underneath that car! So I try get right under to look at all the crooks and crannys (it must be just me doing this to the xtreme).

LC's must be the craziest price varied jeeps I have come across - someone thinks a non -runner goes for 3k, so they think their jeep is worth twice that!

Anyway - still on the look out, the one I went to see the seller said - he had offers and people coming halfway across the country with cash to buy it.

Decided to leave it and not get into a bidding war

Hi fella's as this originally started as a fuel debate I thought i'd just mention I dropped the psi in my tyres to 30 while having a little play about in a quarry then never got around to re-inflating the rear to 40 and the fronts to 38psi before driving 300 motorway miles . Fuel consumption suffered terribly . Please bear in mind im running 285/75 on 16x8 rims .

cheers Shayne

will bear that in mind, in the meantime, I have looked at 2 more LC's, but no luck with them.

Back