Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LC90 VX - 97 colorado 3.4 v6 or 3.0TD - fuel debate, which to get, seeing v6 sunday

Those tyre sizes are humongous compared with mine which are 215.80X16 which is the alternative size Toyota fitted on my FX model, this may account for the not so good cruising consumption.

Tim, my FX (2001 3.0TD, Manual) has run on 235/85/16 (equiv to 7.50/16 on Landrover) BFG MTs for the last 70,000 miles. This changes the gearing so the speedo is now accurate - checked against speed 'sensors' and Sat Nav & also gives better fuel economy. Looks a damn sight better w/o having to replace rims as well as tyres. Also lowers revs at 70mph considerably.

Last edited:
Don't quote me but I seem to recall that the FX model had different diff or gear ratios to the GX/VX models?

some serious size those, I wont be going down that road (yet)!

just waitng for some advice for points on what to check for when i check out the petrol 90 now.

wonder what it will be like parking one of those, in my local morrison store!

Tim, my FX (2001 3.0TD, Manual) has run on 235/85/16 (equiv to 7.50/16 on Landrover) BFG MTs for the last 70,000 miles. This changes the gearing so the speedo is now accurate - checked against speed 'sensors' and Sat Nav & also gives better fuel economy. Looks a damn sight better w/o having to replace rims as well as tyres. Also lowers revs at 70mph considerably.
When I bought mine it had 235 somethings on, think they must have been 65s or 70s as they were smaller and the speedo was even further out than it is now which is about 10% under although the odo is accurate to a mile in one hundred. I changed back to 215s as the spare was a 215 and I was worried about the gearing difference if I got a puncture. I might look at some 235.85s as I expect I'll have to buy new tyres this year.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
never heard of the fuel site - will look into it, generally speaking most owners, so far, that I have heard from or spoke to, say about 20 is the norm.

Sorry, it was a typo. Divide the mileage covered by amount of fuel you use and there's no need for a spread sheet based web program or phone app.

your right it aint rocket science but I have tried that and to be honest it lasts for about a week, I manage somehow to do this everytime I fill up, just offering options thats

My mathematical comprehension stops at pocket full and pocket empty i could do all the arithmetic in between but it just depresses me !

I will stick to resetting the counter clock at fill up on a long trip and work it that way. I am off to Glasgow at the end of the month and if I buy the truck (by the way I am now seeing it tomorrow at 6.30). That will be a great way to check it on a long run.

Some great input so far but looking at it 20mpg seems to be the standard returns - more if really careful

Towed a trailer (1.6 tonne gross weight) 220 miles last weekend with my 3.0td and got 23.4mpg when I worked it out

Don't quote me but I seem to recall that the FX model had different diff or gear ratios to the GX/VX models?

yes the FX has 4.1 diffs
the GX and VX = 4.3 ratio

23.4mpg thats really good, wonder what the petrol will do!

I'm running all terrain tyres, and I think that may have hurt it a bit, would reckon 24-25 with decent tyres. Cost per mile was a smidgen over 26p/mile at current diesel rates and that's the way to look at it (no accounting for servicing costs). Was a rather long run (112miles each way - Lincoln->Northampton and back) on the motorway and I could have backed off a bit on the way back (no load on the back so I put my foot down a bit more!)

I actually get similar or worse mpg using it daily (~10 mile run each way into work) and I reckon petrol may have the edge there (especially with an LPG conversion) but there's not going to be much in it. I reckon LPG would end up same cost per mile as diesel +/- 1p per mile, but you have to budget for adding an LPG install to it, whereas diesel's all setup ready to go.

cheers guys

looks like there is not much in it and it really depends on how one drives and keeping on top of the services so its 100% condititon

looks like the deal could be dead as he looking for more, say that they are worth over 3k etc

could be back on the hunt again - wonder if better off with a TD for around the 3K mark

loads have popped up on the bay higher milage but up to date histories

comments?

I replied to the same question in your other thread....:icon-wink:

From what you have said about your usage profile, it doesn't seem like there will be much difference in the fuel costs between a petrol and a diesel. Therefore if I was in your shoes, I would just look for the best 90 within my budget, regardless of fuel type.

There are quite a few out there and they come up for sale fairly often, so if you miss one, another will crop up sooner rather than later. Just bear in mind that these trucks are getting on a bit now, so whatever you get for around the £2.5-3k mark may need a bit of TLC.

This is a good time to buy IMHO as usually the used prices seem to fall a bit over the Summer months.

Good luck.
cool.gif

Last edited:
I come from a rural background and i have to say i have never in my entire life met anyone who want's a petrol 4x4 . 3k will get you a diesel Colorado and 3200 will get you a good one just have patience to find the right one . PS milage would not be my main concern but i would be dubious of "full service history" on a very high milage truck especially if all the stamps happen to belong to the garage selling it .

And another thing avoid Karhouse just in case they have any for sale .

Back