Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Leaking CV boot

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
So while under the truck today to check the oil pickup, I saw my NS CV was making a mess of the underside of my truck. :(
IMG_2083.jpg

There is a lot of grease being chucked out of it but I can't see a whole in the boot and the grease seems to be coming from where the boot meets the drive shaft.

IMG_2082.jpg

There is a bit of sweat on the diff side.
IMG_2084.jpg

I checked the oil level in the diff and it was full, just below the filer plug. The oil was also a clear brownish colour.

Is this an indication of something wrong or could the crimped boot clip be coming loose?
Of late, when I turn full lock and make the suspension move (U-turn over a pavement etc) then there is a click. On a level road though this does not happen. Only when the wheels are going up or down.

Cris, is this post suspension lift?
It is quiet a common thing on 100's I had a similar thing on mine. A few of the mud guys just go with new bands, maybe that would sort yours out?
As part of my front end rebuild I got some new boots from Ian and took the drive shafts off and re-greased them, I wasn't sure how much I had lost. I also used a diff drop kit to bring the drive shaft back down to a normal angle.

Yup, I've cleaned it all up and it us the boot that is loose. I can turn it by hand. Will fashion a hose clip now and get new clips. Doing breaks next weekend so will inspect then.

Sent from TapaTalk

I repacked this over the weekend but a bit confused about the grease that was in there.
As I slid the boot back, the grease "fell" out. Big gloops (a word?) of it. It was not liquid but liquid enough to run. Is this normal? It was also a very light silvery colour.

I wiped out what I could by hand and repacked it with a shed load of CV grease from Halfords.

Would this all be ok? Does the grease liquefy over time?

Crispin said:
I repacked this over the weekend but a bit confused about the grease that was in there.
As I slid the boot back, the grease "fell" out. Big gloops (a word?) of it. It was not liquid but liquid enough to run. Is this normal? It was also a very light silvery colour.

I wiped out what I could by hand and repacked it with a shed load of CV grease from Halfords.

Would this all be ok? Does the grease liquefy over time?

I changed a CV yesterday and also had a lot of gloop drip out of the inner joint. The outer joint wasn't as bad, but did not look that good either.

Inner:

SDC10386.jpg

Outer:

SDC10404.jpg

would it be a toyota version of the one shot grease that you put in the front of land rover swivels? because that is quite runny.

Joe

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
fridayman said:

That's what mine looked like but maybe not so runny. Where it landed, it did not flow, sort of kept its shape. Was also the inner. Could it be oil from diff leaking through or is that normal? Oil in front diff is right upto the fill hole so nothing missing there.

On my inner I don't think that the diff oil could get through. I would guess that the most likely cause would be water seeping in, or that the grease has just started breaking down from use, but this is just guessing...

Looks like emulsified grease and water, only experience I have is the similar looking sludge when head gaskets have gone on my cars. But it might just be what the product is supposed to like?

Entirely possible that I could have water in there. Not like I've shied away from mud and water :whistle: Seeing as the clip was loose, water could have got in.

Would be nice if someone said "Hey, that's fine. My perfectly working CV looked like that when I did soem PM on it..." :whistle:

Back