Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Leaking rear hub seal again.

Wayne Andrews

Hello!
I am hoping that someone has the answer to my problem!
I have a '98 long wheel base Colorado which keeps on losing rear diff oil out of the passenger side rear hub, more noticeable after a long run, you can smell it and see it on the brake disc and inner of rear tyre.
I have changed the hub seal towards the end of last year, along with the o ring. The diff breather was also replaced at the same time, but it has made no difference. All genuine toyota parts.
Now I have ordered another seal, o ring and wheel bearing to see if this cures it.
So I am hoping that someone can tell me that I am missing a trick, and how easy is it to get that bearing off and back on.
yours hopefully Wayne.

Apparently the bearing is not an easy job. It needs a SST that Toyota use. Not saying that you can't do it, but I did year is was one of those 'If it ain't broke..' scenarios.

Chris

Hello Wayne,

I'm not too familiar with 90s but I'll have a stab, so using a process of elimination:

First rule out bad installation of the previous new oil seal - although it rather sounds like something is causing the oil seal to fail, rather than the oil seal being damaged during installation.
Check the halfshaft surface where the oil seal seals onto it - if the surface is pitted or rough, it'll tear the seal up quickly. If this is the case, you might be able to polish the shaft so that there is a smooth seal.

Worst case scenario the halfshaft may be eccentric to the seal/axle casing - causes for this might be a bent axle casing (not good) or a slightly bent halfshaft. If the halfshaft "whips" in the casing because it's eccentric (central axis of the halfshaft and axle casing no longer the same), the seal would be damaged and leak eventually. I guess a failing wheelbearing perhaps might cause this too - a dying bearing should be obvious when you open it up. Dunno how difficult the wheelbearings are to remove though...

Hopefully my thoughts are helpful - chances are it will be something completely different :snooty:

Cheers,

first thing to check before stripping it is make sure the axle breather isnt blocked ;)

Thank you for your help, your right. When I get the time I will do the job again and go through it with a fine tooth comb.
The parts arrived today I picked every gasket and seal plus the bearing I could see on the fax picture. £90 later ouch.
As far as changing the bearing, if it has a lot of play I guess I will have to change it some how. (even if it means giving the half shaft to Mr T and asking them nicely)
The axle casing is very rusty and I had to hunt a bit to find the breather, and I replaced it and made sure the hole was clear.
Thanks again and I will let you know how I get on.
Wayne.

Back