Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

john higginson

Country Flag
uk
Hello,

Wondered if any of you fine folk might be able to shed light on perhaps why my 89 LJ73 refuses to start.
With the Covid problems we're all experiencing, it sadly has stood unused since around March time. It always started well, never any problems. The battery is good and showing a full charge.

But it refuses to start. Engine turns over, I can hear the 'click' when depressing the coil button, all normal.

It feels like fuel is not getting through, but I'm not sure.

It has a 'hand pump' set up. You pump a little button. I was told it primed the pump, brought fuel to the engine.

I'm at a bit of a loss to know where to look first, any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Have you tried priming the fuel system? Pump it until you feel a good bit of resistance building up. Then crack off the injector pipes at the injectors and crank the engine. Once you see fuel coming out tighten up the lines and that should be it bled. It's better if you have someone to crank it over while you attend to the injector pipes.

Hi John,
When this happens to my LJ70 I pump that primer button for about 20 seconds until the button gets very stiff, then the engine starts
Tom

Have you tried priming the fuel system? Pump it until you feel a good bit of resistance building up. Then crack off the injector pipes at the injectors and crank the engine. Once you see fuel coming out tighten up the lines and that should be it bled. It's better if you have someone to crank it over while you attend to the injector pipes.
Thanks Scott, that's really helpful. I haven't done that, sounds reasonably straightforward, even for someone like me. I'll give it a go. One pot / injector at a time ?

Hi John,
When this happens to my LJ70 I pump that primer button for about 20 seconds until the button gets very stiff, then the engine starts
Tom
Thanks Tom, that's how it used to be, now it's just being stubborn, I'll give bleeding the injector pipes a go.

You can do one at a time, I tend to slacken them all first, then crank it, whilst cranking keep an eye out and once it starts spitting fuel out tighten that one, and continue until you have done them all. It might be as simple as just pumping the priming pump though so try that in the first instance.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My KZJ78 started doing that this week. Mine started as normal, short warm up and made it 2 blocks from the house and died. I changed the fuel filter but couldn't get the primer to draw fuel from the tank. Removed the filter and blew some air through the pump and it started working. Only thing I could think of is debris in the check valve allowed fuel to leak back to tank.

Started it this morning, same story, ran a while, died. Hand pump until pressure is felt, crank and fired right up. But I noticed that when I was pumping against pressure it's leaking fuel around the pump. Is this a common problem?

Pump primer until hard, if it won't you've got too much air in the system. If it's drawing air in there is 2 most common causes: primer pump itself or steel pipes on top of the tank are rotten. You may fit a one way valve on the supply pipe, it will help

Back