Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lighting questions

greengrass

Country Flag
england
Hello chaps,
I have a couple of question about lighting on Sluug.

I noticed the other day that my mirror switch doesn't illuminate, just wondered if it was supposed to before I pull it apart to look for a bulb.

Has anybody got the upper lights working as stop and tail lights?? Its only because I followed another 90 the other night and thought it didn't look quite right.

If so whats involved in making the conversion or is there an off the shelf loom/part available??

You can buy the looms as a Toyota part, and the lamps from a Jap import. Lights on the bumper are a European thing I think, to do with both All of the wiring is there for them. I have the tail lights working in the uppers and it looks better in my opinion, but also safer when towing as the bumper lights hide in front of the trailer. I just drilled and installed bulb holders as a cheaper fix. The fog still operates on the drivers side.

IMAG0101.jpg

would be easy to put indicators in the top too.

?............I noticed the other day that my mirror switch doesn't illuminate, just wondered if it was supposed to before I pull it apart to look for a bulb.............
I'm just going through all of my dash and switches myself, putting together a list of lamps required. I was In fact only outside yesterday checking the last two or three switches. According to ToyoDiy the mirror switches have no illumination!!! How they decide what switches have illumination and don't baffles me I have to say, but Hey-Ho. I have a list of about 8 or 9 lamps thus far. Drive indicator lamp, one of the temp gauge lamps, one of the lamps in the rear heater control switch, lamp in gear stick position plate, clock, etc. some of the switches have two lamps in! The one that's baffling me at this moment in time is the heater control panel with the three large rotary knobs. Mine has no illumination and according to Toyo there are no lamps, really?! I'll be having it apart today just to be certain before getting my final list over to my buyer :icon-smile: :icon-wink:

The bumper body light thing comes up a lot. This may be of interest;

Had a bit of a sniff around and found this http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/made The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989.

Schedule 7 Part 1 Direction indicators must be visible in the horizontal between 80 degrees OUT & 20 degrees IN

Schedule 10 Part 1 Rear position lights must be visible in the horizontal between 80 degrees OUT & 45 degrees IN

Schedule 12 Part 1 Stop lamps must be visible in the horizontal between 45 degrees OUT & 45 degrees IN

Theres lots more in there with regards to vertical viewing angles, mounting positions, size of lenses etc. I've also found mention of an EU law with regards to a rear door mounted spare obstructing rear lights, but have not been able to find the specific document relating to this. Clearly with the rear door open the spare would compromise the viewing angles under The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989. So maybe there's some substance in both of our thoughts about the reasons for bumper mounted rear lights Jon.

Last edited:
Hi Steven,
There is definitely bulbs in the heater panel 2w capless I guess. Sluug is a 2002 like Swampy and the heater panel all lights up.

I have mine done the same as Bob and I think it does the job pretty well.

Mick

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cwc, they should plug and play in theory, as I've tested the looms behind the lenses and tail, brake and indicator are all active there. The only difficulty with those lenses is fog lights. As far as I am aware a fog light and brake light cannot be the same bulb. They do look nice though

Back