Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lincomb September 7th,8th

Could anyone who has a video of the Mog going through the puddle by the log bridge please let me have a copy? Even better if it includes a few struggling 80s :lol:

Thanks

Last edited:
I did not ask them to post it Karl, just let me have a copy :lol: Surely that is playing fair.

:lol:

You may have a point!

Get them posted if someone filmed it. Quite like to see the Mog do it again. Went in and out that quick I missed it.

would anybody object if i towed my landrover 90 behind my landcruiser and used the landrover around lincomb? My landcruiser is an everyday shiney and the land rover is my play car. i promise il let you take pictures if(when) i need towing out or if(when) it breaks you can all poke fun and laugh:lol: It is road legal i just dont fancy the 4 hour drive cramped in a land rover 90 so thought i could tow it down in luxury.

Just something to consider Joe , I was absolutely astonished at my trucks ability over the weekend , it took me everywhere i wanted to go , i had to be winched up the hill once and had to reverse out and take another route once but on both occasions the fault resulted from my own inexperience . I think its fair to say i went pretty much everywhere that everyone else did , (though i'm sure there were obstacles i didn't find) . I arrived home without a scratch and so pleased with my truck it is with regret i will finally give in to Helen's nagging and wash my truck today .

It's a great feeling, isn't it Shayne, when your own truck amazes you!

My 80 manages to surprise me all the time!

I'd love to be able to pitch it against the others at Lincomb, one day maybe. :shifty: :icon-biggrin:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Could anyone who has a video of the Mog going through the puddle by the log bridge please let me have a copy? Even better if it includes a few struggling 80s :lol:

Thanks

:lol:

You may have a point!

Get them posted if someone filmed it. Quite like to see the Mog do it again. Went in and out that quick I missed it.
Happy to oblige :icon-biggrin:

Just uploading the three I have to PhotoBucket, two of Karl stuck and one of the Mog walking it :icon-smile: :icon-wink:

Looks like it could be an hour before they've down loaded though!!!

It was great Clive and as far as "pitching your truck against others" i can honestly say not once did i feel i was competing in a competition , the challenge is a personal thing , for me i just wanted to get around the trial course without needing to be winched out . The emphasis is on fun , for example Karl with his very capable 80 deliberately drove into the deepest mud pit he could find despite knowing he would likely get stuck whilst having broken lockers , as a result he lost a few points but won plenty of cheers which are ultimately more valuable . I hadn't realized that collecting the hidden tags was important as the overall score is combined points for trial and tags found , if i had i might have made more of an effort to find them and achieve a higher mark in the results . But it doesn't matter i'm just pleased i wasn't marked on the score board as "never finished"

Sorry it took so long they took forever to load up to Photobucket then two of them failed, so now on YouTube but still one has failed :doh: :icon-smile:

Just something to consider Joe , I was absolutely astonished at my trucks ability over the weekend , it took me everywhere i wanted to go , i had to be winched up the hill once and had to reverse out and take another route once but on both occasions the fault resulted from my own inexperience . I think its fair to say i went pretty much everywhere that everyone else did , (though i'm sure there were obstacles i didn't find) . I arrived home without a scratch and so pleased with my truck it is with regret i will finally give in to Helen's nagging and wash my truck today .

I have taken my 95 around lincomb and yes they are excellent but for me i bent my side steps and scuffed the side mouldings, ok they was an easy fix but i dont like scuffing/ bending my every day car when i have the defender sitting there for that purpose. so if i tow it down im still turning up in a cruiser:icon-biggrin:

If i had the money i would like to get rid of the defender, buy myself a 100 series and convert my 95 into an offroader. but then i look at her and think she is to clean for that.
so for now im stuck with the old beast of a defender.

I take it its the extra ground clearance of the unimogs axles that helped you through the small puddle.

All i need to know now are the dates for next year and im there:icon-cool:

Anyone know of a trailer to tow my defender:icon-question:

Last edited:
I reckon the Mog's advantages are too numerous to list , all the weight is low down , top speed is equal to low box first gear , the body flexes as much as the axles , narrow tyres dig to find the hard ground beneath bog , it has far less weight to move , and i'm sure others can add far more to the list .

Joe , while feeling the same about my 90 i was debating with myself at Lincomb , and spoke to few members of it , about getting myself a second truck just for off-roading . I was pretty much decided a second truck was the way to go but as i lay in bed last night it suddenly dawned on me that realistically we are talking 3 grand plus for a truck as capable as my own with tax and insurance etc . What couldn't i fix (assuming i break it in the first place) with 3 grand ?

Sod it i will drive fix and repair my 90 , i had thought i would keep it at least 10 years but looking at the trucks owned on the forum i'd say most of them are actually getting younger rather than older because every fix is either as good as new or sometimes even better .

Just a few pics off the weekend
c_zps14c939ba.jpg

20130907_115555_zps79e175d9.jpg

20130907_120302_zps469cf611.jpg

20130907_115424_zps403640c4.jpg

IMG_88424594869448_zps8df211d4.jpe

20130908_114704_zpsa80a469e.jpg

20130908_115149_zps4e8b7358.jpg

20130908_113955_zpsc6115308.jpg

20130908_144837_zps76101c37.jpg

is this where baby landcruisers come from -deep in the jungle in middle England wee see a pair of very rare wild blue(I think) 80s ,usual to see in pairs at this time of year courtship is thought to be a whole two days of charging through a very muddy swamp followed by a nice bbq in the evening
whiterinoes_zps41a808bd.jpg

Thanks to everyone for another great weekend. Im glad everyone had a good time and pleased everyone liked the food even if the hot sauce was a little too hot! :shifty: We didn't raise very much money this time for reasons yet to be discussed. I need to speak to the rest of the catering team to work out where we went wrong and we will have to think about a few changes and tweaks to the setup for the next one maybe but the main thing is the Explorer Scouts had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed themselves. :clap:

Makes me sad to think this will probably be my last Lincomb for a while with my own truck but I enjoyed one last play in the old girl and she proved her worth a few time as official Land Rover recovery vehicle. :laughing-rolling:

Does anyone have a pic of the score board as I never got to see it?

@Scott: Im slightly disappointed that the video only shows my aborted run up the farm hill and not the successful sideways run after, did anyone get any pics or video of that?

Here are a few pics and a video:

DSC_0055_zpsdaa9ee8c.jpg
DSC_0061_zps4714d055.jpg
Chris' not so triumphant return, fair play for the effort though. :clap:
DSC_0062_zps7a58d35b.jpg
One careful owner, never raced or rallied! :shifty:

[video=youtube_share;w9V7ms0tqZ4]http://youtu.be/w9V7ms0tqZ4[/video]

Last edited:
@Scott: Im slightly disappointed that the video only shows my aborted run up the farm hill and not the successful sideways run after, did anyone get any pics or video of that?
Sorry David, someone got in the way and blocked the camera. If I had footage I would have included it, but I can confirm that you made it up in style!

It was great Clive and as far as "pitching your truck against others" i can honestly say not once did i feel i was competing in a competition , the challenge is a personal thing , for me i just wanted to get around the trial course without needing to be winched out . The emphasis is on fun , for example Karl with his very capable 80 deliberately drove into the deepest mud pit he could find despite knowing he would likely get stuck whilst having broken lockers , as a result he lost a few points but won plenty of cheers which are ultimately more valuable . I hadn't realized that collecting the hidden tags was important as the overall score is combined points for trial and tags found , if i had i might have made more of an effort to find them and achieve a higher mark in the results . But it doesn't matter i'm just pleased i wasn't marked on the score board as "never finished"

Good stuff Shayne, but don't get me wrong about the "pitching against others" comment. I agree, all this is a personal achievement issue and I wasn't advocating "competition" in that sense. What I meant, and it didn't come across very well I admit, was when your own attempts fail, either because of mechanical set up deficiencies or a lack of personal ability, then there's so much to be learned from the others that succeed.

Watching someone getting it right is very helpful on both counts.

I'm really enjoying these posts, the photos and the videos. I've never met anyone on this forum, but I can to some extent, recognize many of you and your trucks from the pics & videos! I feel like I was (almost) there!

Attending Lincomb is firmly close to the top of my bucket list, lets hope it continues at the least long enough to include me at some time in the future.

Praise to the organizers, the owners, all participants and helpers and Long live Lincomb, I say! :clap:

Back