Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

lindop chip fitting help?

fast but dim

I've asked this over on tloc too, so....

hi, just recieved uk vette's (graham's) lindop box. :D

according to the instructions i need to solder a wire to the throttle sensor, using a multimeter to identify which one of two wires i need to use.

problem is no multimeter :roll:

can anyone verify which wire i need to solder to without me having to ring round looking for a mate with a multimeter?

also, as an aside, from experience which power setting do people think gives the best balance of performance / economy? obviously i'm going to try it on full power first......

Nobody here is running a Lindop chip I think. My discussions with them went very quiet when I asked what it would do to my warranty. No answer to that one.

I'm sure there's a link here to an online FSM or maybe google for one? I'm nowhere near my one to look it up - sorry !

Good luck though!

cheers for the reply. i've got all the fitting instructions etc, and if i had a multimeter it'd be on now!

warranty wise i'm well out of date :lol:

i've run this sort of thing on a couple of cars with no probs, it's a small risk i'm willing to take!

Fast, that was my Lindop box I suspect that I sold to Graham a while back. He obviously didn't get round to fitting it. Speak to John Devlin at Lindop, he's in Queensferry branch in the parts dept. You need to find one particular wire from the throttle (I think from memory silver and green) whicch gives the unit a throttle position signal. It has to be soldered in at throttle position as it's the easiest location to find it. Easiest being a relative word as it's bloody awkward to get at, find it in the bundle and solder a t-joint in place way down in the pedal area. You need to be a bit of a contortionist. You might find the same wire under the bonnet in the engine bay where that bundle comes through but it'll be just as awkward to find. Lindop will not warranty any engine with it fitted, so says John, as it's impossible to know what an engine has done etc etc before fitting. Only the Toyo TTE one has their warranty and if fitted by a Toyo dealer.

Leave the unit at full power. It workd just fine there for me. And you should still have till next May 2012 on warranty as they come with 3 years.

thanks mate. i've managed to get hold of a multi meter, and had a quick look and can see how tight it is. It's definately not a job to start in the rain or late in the day.

i'll let you all know how i get on!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
pita? definately

got there in the end, ended up removing the accelerator pedal to get a bit more room. After half an hour with a multimeter looking for the control wire it ended up being the silver/green one like you thought.

it's on max boost, so we'll see how it goes!

so far seems to have more go once i get over 1800 rpm. not earth shattering increases though.

Is yours a manual or auto? Any diff in turbo lag? That's my biggest moan. A bit boat-like response.

after a few days of m way driving i'm impressed. noticeably more torque, no need to change down from 5th for a roads, plus more go when accelerating. definately makes driving more pleasurable.

tbh the benefit is only noticable over 1500 rpm, so not perfect, and the performance increase is not earth shattering, but i'm an economical driver ( 60-65 on mway). i'll see what it does for economy.

my main reason for the mod was for pulling the caravan, but it'll be while before i do any towing.

ps, it's a manual.

as an update:

typically on a tank of derv i got 28 -29 mpg, averaged over a full tank.

after driving the 120 with the lindop box on maximium (+3) i got 27.9 mpg from a full tank. power and poke was noticably up. :D

i then turned the box to it's default setting (+1) and i've just got 29.97 mpg over 475 miles. the power is up and so is the economy :clap:

it makes sense to drive round on +1, turning the box up for towing / if i'm in the lakes etc. the adjustment is dead easy.

all in all i'm made up!!!!

Back