Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

good work Ben - I hope you get the spring thing sorted out

Good luck!

Wow - that is absolutely beautiful work there Ben. It was probably one of the easiest things you did, but I absolutely love the socket in the top of the dash... I'll be copying that idea (when I finally have a bit of time to do things other than deskwork). ;-)

Enjoy the trip, and hope you get the springs sorted.

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

Bit of an update on the spring issue............................

Chris had spoken to the guys at one of the ARB stores we would be passing on our way and told us to call in and see them as they had some OME 80 series springs in stock.

We got there and the guys couldnt have been more helpful! :clap:

The +110kg OME 80 series front springs that they had which I was thinking of getting for the rear of LJ were only rated at 220LB's, where as the 80 series rear +400kg were rated at 350LB's. So we realized that the +110kg ones would be no where near strong enough/stiff enough to support the 400+kg in the back of LJ. :think:

The guys got LJ on the hoist and bought out lots of boxes of different springs to try and we found some 79 series front Dobinsons springs that were super heavy duty with a load rating of 350LB's and when put under LJ she sat perfectly and felt very good! :dance:

Slight issue was that they wouldnt fit on the chassis mounts. :doh:

A quick to call to Chris and he said get the springs and get to FNB HQ and we can stay back and sort it out! :clap:

A few hours of welding, grinding and drilling later and we had spring adaptors made and fitted and all before 9pm! Not bad after an 8 hour scary drive! :icon-biggrin:

Huge thanks to Chris for all his help tonight, top bloke! :clap: :thumbup:

Chilling at Chris's house now with the rest of the crew and very much looking forward the start of the trip tomorrow! :violin:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Great news all's well Ben, enjoy, be safe :thumbup: Drum bun as they say in Romania!

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

Had a slight issue by where we had a lot of body roll on the highway which weve put down to having so much weight so high up! The guys have been amazing and weve re-distributed our weight amongst the other vehicles which made a huge difference. Weve just removed the 2 space cases off the roof which weigh 60+kg and strapped them on the back of one of the other trucks. We should be much better now! Last night was a chilly one and everyone wished they had brought warmer sleeping bags, so we will probably buy some in the next town before we hit the desert! Today we will continue North through the stunning Flinders Ranges! Were properly in the outback now and the colours, views and smells are incredible! Phone is playing up and wont charge and I've only got a limited amount of laptop battery left so this might be my last contact for a few weeks. But keep checking out the blog as the guys will be updating it every night with a sat link

http://uk-oz.com/?p=258

:thumbup:

We've just driven through the stunning Flinders Ranges through some magnificent gorges and saw lots of emu's and roo's! :dance:

LJ is driving great and we've just stopped at a road house/outback pub and most of the guys are tucking into the Ferrel menu! Roo steaks, emu burgers and camel sausages! :icon-cool:

The flies outside are horrendous in the baking heat of the Aussie outback, but inside its nice and cool and the ice cold beers are going down beautifully! :icon-biggrin:

Heres a video from yesterdays pre-trip photo shoot:

I just wish you had another red 80 in that convoy . . . . . MINE!
sad-012.gif

Hi all have a good trip the truks all look to be up for the trip love the video thanks a lot keep the video
Coming from Tony.:thumbup::laughing-rolling::clap:

Hi guys, super quick update...................................

LJ is running beautifully and the new rear springs are awesome! :dance:

2 of the 80's have had problems, one lost a panhard rod bolt and one of the links on an anti roll bar came loose.

Thankfully I had tools and spare bolts so I've been keeping all the trucks going. :icon-biggrin:

After 2 awesome days of driving on dirt roads at 60-70mph weve made it to Birdsville in the heart of the Outback! :icon-cool:

Were now right on the edge of the Simpson Desert! :dance:

Were here for 2 nights then we will be out in the desert for the next 12! :icon-biggrin:

Heres a few pics:

LJflindersranges_zpsbdadf513.jpg

P9220335_zps7c387196.jpg

Millions of stars out here!

AmazingskyonBirdsvilletrack_zpsa8f6cd5b.jpg

P9230399_zps4c6a83a4.jpg

LJliftingawheelbirdsvilletrack_zps61a36e83.jpg

P9230447_zpsec85c258.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Ben and Tony it is looking a lot of fun keep on having a lot of fun That look so cool thanks for update and the pics from Tony.

Thanks guys.:thumbup:

Were having an amazing time! :dance:

Birdsville is an amazing little town that can only be reached by dirt road (or air)! :icon-cool:

Some of us have been out today playing in the dunes and LJ made it to the top of Big Red (the biggest dune)! :icon-twisted:

We got back to Birdsville and got a call via the sat phone to go back into the desert to recover one of our group who had gone off with the Mazda, which Mazda have loaned us for the trip for the camera crew, as the other vehicle had got stuck.

30 minutes of fast dirt roads later we were in the sand dunes and the Warn 8274 on the front of LJ did the recovery effortlessly! :icon-cool:

Weve all topped up with supplies, checked over the vehicles, washed clothes and got everything ready for tomorrows departure! Tomorrow we leave Birdsville and will need to be completely self sufficient for the next 12 days! :icon-biggrin:

Were having the most amazing adventure and I'm loving every moment of it, life is awesome!!!! :banana-dance::banana-dance:

:thumbup: Keep those reports coming Ben, you know you've got a couple of dozen other truckers riding with you don't you. :dance:

Back