Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

PS. wow you Poms eat a lot of shit! cheese and sausage sandwiches for breakfast every day. Steak and mash for dinner! LJ must smell of rank fart mate! :obscene-tolietpush:hahaha!

Don't judge us all... We tend to have chilli, pasta and sauce, anything that can be done in the camp oven on a fire really! Breakie is normally bacon buttys/barms, depending on how long we're away for.

Another daft Pom who has ended up in a cold part of Australia...

Oh, and +1 to Australia being a small world... the company I used to work for on the NSW Central Coast had a subsidiary that did work with the place Ben first worked at... they worked out how to manage them, but did say they were a bit typical of that type of place... helped that they worked on a similar property (with a similar owner) so knew how it would work...

Don't judge us all... We tend to have chilli, pasta and sauce, anything that can be done in the camp oven on a fire really! Breakie is normally bacon buttys/barms, depending on how long we're away for.

Another daft Pom who has ended up in a cold part of Australia...

Oh, and +1 to Australia being a small world... the company I used to work for on the NSW Central Coast had a subsidiary that did work with the place Ben first worked at... they worked out how to manage them, but did say they were a bit typical of that type of place... helped that they worked on a similar property (with a similar owner) so knew how it would work...

My in-laws own a horse property, they have racehorses though, not show jumpers. they also know the farm that Ben worked in. Personally I wouldn't know one end of a horse from the other. Its a very small industry and they seem to all connect in one way or another. I also agree that working on horse properties seems to be a 24/7 job. They certainly work hard.

My neighbour come from England for a holiday almost 20 years ago. He saw the valley we live in and said to himself "I'm going to live right there" so he approached the land owner, put a deposit down and sold up everything back home and moved in next door. He used to drive a Landrover but he now has a small canter 4x4 truck he drives everywhere. It makes for a great camping unit. At his house warming party he cooked a hangi. Its basically a clay hole that gets covered in coals and left all day. The meat and veg was some of the best I've ever eaten. I've always meant to do one myself.

Say Ash,you are not a refugee kiwi with your talk about Hangis ,are you?

Say Ash,you are not a refugee kiwi with your talk about Hangis ,are you?

hahaha no, I was born and bred in Australia. I do enjoy NZ food though! I went there last year, bloody amazing country side. I'd move to Picton any day.

Hi Ben, I've just finished reading this post from the very beginning. It took me two weeks to read! I feel as if I've just read your diary and have got to know you through a car build. It was quite a journey to follow. I have an FJ70 with a Holden 5 litre injected v8 conversion. I live in South Australia. As you have probably figured out us Aussies like power in our 4x4's!
To be honest I really didn't think you had what it takes to be a welder at first but your latest welds are looking much better. I'm glad you started chamfering the corners to get deeper penetrating welds as the butt joins ground back with the flappy wheel wouldn't have had much meat holding them together. Alloy welding is a pleasure isn't it.
I'm interested to see where your car build goes from here? I would like to do the disk brake conversion too. I'll be watching that closely. I have found a few American conversion kits but I'm wondering about making my own. It doesn't look that hard. Hopefully I'll just copy what ever you do!!!

Thanks. :icon-biggrin:

I need to finish fitting the new suspension and replace the leaking oil seals.

I'm keen to crack on with the rear disc brake conversion but I may have to put it on hold for a while as I'm trying to save up for my Europe holiday.

If/when I do the rear brake conversion I will make some brackets like these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390916469160?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I'd like to get the auxiliary fuel tank built and I'm now thinking I might have a smaller tank on one side that will hold maybe 5-10 litres of diesel as I want to start running on filtered waste vegetable oil. So I will have a small diesel tank so I can start and stop on diesel and once the engine is warm switch to the veg oil.

Now I've got the space I'd like to build my own waste veg oil filtering plant. I just need to see if I can source the waste oil easily.

Once I'm setup I will order a fuel solenoid and heat exchanger to heat the oil before it goes through the injectors. :icon-biggrin:

I'm probably going to go for one of these heat exchangers:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/plate-HEA...532?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cf5c3ef94

From reading between the lines in your posts it looks like you've had a few falling out's with some people over here. A bit of friendly advice if you want it! Aussies like to take their time doing something, you cant rush us or change plans without a decent amount of notice! The absolute worst thing for an Aussie is someone who think they are a "know it all"! By no means am I calling you one but just be careful you don't come across as too confident, and inturn make others feel as if they are incorrect. We (Aussies) will help anyone out, we'll generally go a long way to help a total stranger for nothing in return but if that person expects it, or doesn't appreciate it, they'll be marked as a tosser for life!!! Australia might be a massive country but it has a small population and you'll be amazed how often you have to deal with the same people in years to come. Just look out that you don't burn your bridges. You never know when you'll be relying on someone who turns out to be someone from your past!

Yes I have fallen out with a few idiots over the last few years but I think its pretty inevitable, sadly!

I wouldn't be where I am today if I didn't have the balls to stand up for myself and change my circumstances when I'm not happy!

Its never nice falling out with people but you cant please everyone all the time and ultimately I have to please myself!

Life is far too short to be miserable and unhappy! :icon-biggrin:

OK that's my advice over. I hope I haven't offended you, just something I thought I should say.
Back to the cars, I don't have a winch yet. I don't have anywhere near as much steep, muddy, rocky ground over here in S.A. as you do in Vic so I doubt I'll need it as often? Do you think the high mount is really necessary? I liked the look of the warn zeon platinum 12. Maybe its a bit too flash for my FJ? I just want something reliable really. I'm also going to put front and back lockers in. I was just going to go with ARB air lockers but after reading your posts I'm thinking the E-Locker is looking pretty good!
Hope your enjoying Tassie mate, I look forward to seeing you out on the 4x4 tracks sometime.

Cheers,

Ash.

Not at all mate. :thumbup:

The high mount isnt necessary no! A normal low mount would be fine.

But I love my high mount and doubt I will ever go back to a low mount! The speed and power is awesome and I think the design is a lot better than a low mount. :clap:

But then there not cheap and they are big but theres no reason it shouldn't last a life time as all the spare parts are easily available and there a very simple winch to work on.

Do you have any pics of your FJ please? :thumbup:

20150319_193439.jpg20150319_193429.jpg20150325_090322.jpgThis is it the day I bought it. I've only had it for a month so its a work in progress at this stage. so far I've ordered a radiator, water pump, thermostat, brake booster, master cylinder, cv/front end rebuild kits for both sides, swaybar, bushes, Dougs tub and cb antenna. I've just cut out and patched some rust but it hardly had any. Someone else had already fixed it up and did the engine conversion. I plan on doing a fair few mods over the next couple of years.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looks great! :thumbup:

I definitely prefer the one piece rear windows! :think:

I had a L series Subaru wagon with the anti roll back hand brake. It was a fantastic invention.

Last edited:
Now I've got the space I'd like to build my own waste veg oil filtering plant. I just need to see if I can source the waste oil easily.

Once I'm setup I will order a fuel solenoid and heat exchanger to heat the oil before it goes through the injectors. :icon-biggrin:

I'm probably going to go for one of these heat exchangers:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/plate-HEA...532?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cf5c3ef94

Ben Ive got one of those heat exchangers, and a load of other bits and pieces I was going to install on my KZJ70 to run veg oil but sold the car before I got round to fitting it it. I dont know how cost effective it would be to post to Aus but PM me if you are interested. :)

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I am still keen to do the rear disc brake conversion. :thumbup:

Great link BTW. :icon-biggrin:

I thought it was Subaru L series rear brake calipers though, not fronts? :think:

I couldn't find any new or reconditioned calipers in OZ on the net but found a place in the US that was selling fully reconditioned ones with pads. With postage it worked out to $140 US dollars/$181 Aus and would take less than a week to get here.

Then its master cylinder, brake discs, brake hoses, wheel bearings and oil seals.

So I'm guessing maybe $450-$500 all up.

Beno, isnt your 73 running a 9" diff in the rear with fully floating axles?

If it is you should be able to use 60 or 80 series parts I'd have though. :think:

Ben Ive got one of those heat exchangers, and a load of other bits and pieces I was going to install on my KZJ70 to run veg oil but sold the car before I got round to fitting it it. I dont know how cost effective it would be to post to Aus but PM me if you are interested. :)

Thanks Dave, I will drop you a PM. :thumbup:

I thought it was Subaru L series rear brake calipers though, not fronts? :think:

I couldn't find any new or reconditioned calipers in OZ on the net but found a place in the US that was selling fully reconditioned ones with pads. With postage it worked out to $140 US dollars/$181 Aus and would take less than a week to get here.

Then its master cylinder, brake discs, brake hoses, wheel bearings and oil seals.

If it is you should be able to use 60 or 80 series parts I'd have though. :think:

Did you have a look at RockAuto? They've got a load of unloaded and loaded caliper options for the Subaru Loyale (American name for L series), and ship internationally.

Pretty sure that the _J73 uses the 9" that is found on the utes and troopy, so that means that the 60 series stuff should bolt on.

Shipping from the UK we used Transglobal; their prices are pretty good, and give you some options (and tell you that you can't send gearboxes via some services...)

That's where I got my price from!

Just remembered 60 series is no good as they have rear drums!

It's one of the reasons you see so many GQ Patrols around OZ!

When Toyota launched the 60 the GQ Patrol was already on sale and had coil suspension and disc brakes front and rear. Where as the 60 had leaves and rear drums! The Patrol was also considerably cheaper!

Toyota really were too late with the 60!

Anyway.........

I think 80 series would be the way to go! :thumbup:

Not sure of the shipping from UK reference Ed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure of the shipping from UK reference Ed?

It was if you wanted the veg oil gubbins that was mentioned above...

Interesting on the rest of the info re the 60 vs GQ; Delz has chirped up that she'd like an 80 series to replace the 4Runner with...

Sorry Ed was thinking of rear disc brakes and forgot about the veg oil offer! :oops:

How come she wants to change the 4-Runner? :think:

She has a love hate relationship with the 4Runner... She loves it because we've put so much work into it, and it is good for what we do... She hates it because it has some little noises I cant get rid of that emanate from the engine.

She also likes the look of it, almost a grown up 4Runner, and more comfortable than the FJ73 was. My only thought was that I'm not sure we'll get the same fuel economy as we get out of the 4Runner (12/100km) even with a diesel... So realistically we might be hunting a KZJ95

95 sounds good! :icon-biggrin:

Do the OZ models get a rear locker as standard like the UK models? :think:

Ben to be quite honest i am not really sure. I will have a look at my manual and see what it says. I would have thought that the Diff set up would have been the same as they one in the Bundera to be honest.
Thanks for the info Ben it's much appreciated. Sorry i didn't see this yesterday Ben but living at Maitland i have been a tad busy watching the flood waters rising over the back fence.:icon-mad:icon-mad

Did you have a look at RockAuto? They've got a load of unloaded and loaded caliper options for the Subaru Loyale (American name for L series), and ship internationally.

Pretty sure that the _J73 uses the 9" that is found on the utes and troopy, so that means that the 60 series stuff should bolt on.

Shipping from the UK we used Transglobal; their prices are pretty good, and give you some options (and tell you that you can't send gearboxes via some services...)

Thanks for the info Paddler Ed it's greatly appreciated.:thumbup::thumbup:

Back