Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

It was a great birthday! :dance:

Had a bit of news this week from my old boss........................

The world record attempt at being the first solar powered vehicle to cross the Simpson Desert has been pushed back to next year due to all the rain they have had lately in central Australia.

It actually suits us better as it was going to be very close to the wedding. :icon-biggrin:

I got a bit of work done on LJ over the last couple of days. :icon-biggrin:

I got the new rear door and sun shade outside yesterday and sanded and cleaned them ready for paint.

IMG_2698_zpsiwofmxqm.jpg

IMG_2699_zpsfyn0qvpl.jpg

The sun shade came fitted to RJ when I bought it, but it had to go as it prevents the screen from being folded down.

I wasnt sure whether I liked it or not, but decided I'd get it painted and see what it looks like on LJ. :think:

IMG_2700_zpsrjeh2uj8.jpg

Got them both in primer.

IMG_2701_zpsyv2ozjy2.jpg

Followed by a few coats of Midnight Blue. :icon-cool:

IMG_2703_zpszznmlb4s.jpg

IMG_2704_zpsr6toygl7.jpg

IMG_2706_zpsbsbppabi.jpg

This morning they were nice and dry.

IMG_2711_zpss3lgu6nd.jpg

IMG_2712_zpsokiswmb8.jpg

IMG_2713_zpsm7zspugx.jpg

Not a perfect paint finish but at least they will match the rest of the car! :shifty:

Removed the swing away wheel carrier arm.

IMG_2714_zpsrrczdnis.jpg

IMG_2715_zpsvfxss7lx.jpg

I will loose my gas stove storage but I think thats a fair trade off for how much more practical the car will be with the spare back on the door.

IMG_2719_zpshb84zekb.jpg

IMG_2720_zpsooeqgwva.jpg

I started removing the old door.

IMG_2721_zpsukqk7kod.jpg

It hadnt rained for a few weeks but was scheduled to today, but at least the next week looks perfect! :dance:

IMG_2716_zpssqlme4cj.jpg

Thankfully I had the rear awning or I dont think I would have been able to get much done today as it rained from 11am onwards.

IMG_2722_zpsi4nflg0g.jpg

New door bolted on.

IMG_2724_zpsm6jfaeew.jpg

Fitted my old window.

IMG_2725_zpsb9l0gfp8.jpg

IMG_2727_zpsduwrllwf.jpg

Bolted on the spare wheel bracket.

IMG_2728_zpsi7cp6qbk.jpg

And got the spare mounted.

IMG_2729_zpsv89cuytr.jpg

Pulled the old bumper off.

IMG_2732_zpsgcbp2a9u.jpg

The new one is about 1/4 of the weight.

IMG_2734_zpsy5qygrj6.jpg

Had to remove the last section of exhaust so I could get the new bumper on. It needs some work doing to it as I need to add a towbar/receiver hitch to it and I want to add my lights and trailer socket, then I want to get it shot blasted and powder coated. :think:

IMG_2744_zpsqxjv2aaj.jpg

IMG_2747_zpso5pyiwsr.jpg

And finally I got the sun shade bolted on. Found standing up through the open sun roof was the easiest way, even though it was raining quite heavy.

IMG_2748_zpsw8vkaur0.jpg

IMG_2749_zpsjqulfgur.jpg

IMG_2750_zpsg0ik1efk.jpg

IMG_2751_zpshu8jgwmm.jpg

IMG_2752_zpsb9eesxov.jpg

Will get some better pics of the sun shade next time the sun is out. But I think I like it. :icon-biggrin:

So the big job now is to modify the rear bumper and exhaust. :think:

I'm hoping the new bumper will improve LJ and make it more practical for the sort of family camping trips/light off roading I'm doing. :icon-cool:

At some point I will build a Jimny comp truck for silly stuff and thats what I'm keeping my 37" tyres for now I no longer run them on LJ. :icon-twisted:

Last edited:
I hope you find the sunshade a practical solution, Ben.

Here the lanes/tracks that I run on are very overgrown and I think low branches would soon have that off. Your tracks, from what I've seen, are more open and less prone to damaging it.

Nice work anyway, the new bumper looks good :thumbup:

We've just come back from out west (SW of Nyngan) and a lot of stuff out that way runs a shade strip like that; they're also often seen on old peoples cars... now that sounds negative, but you only get old by doing things right on the whole... so they must be doing something right! I reckon as well that it'll cut down glare onto the dashboard.

Reactions: Pat
We've just come back from out west (SW of Nyngan) and a lot of stuff out that way runs a shade strip like that; they're also often seen on old peoples cars... now that sounds negative, but you only get old by doing things right on the whole... so they must be doing something right! I reckon as well that it'll cut down glare onto the dashboard.

My experience in the U.K. is that "glare" is something you only get from a pedestrian when you don't stop at the zebra!

Lads, ED means the bright stuff that comes from that shiny thing in the sky once or twice a year... :lol:

Runs and hides.....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
G'day ben,
Just read your whole thread from beginning to end (yes it did take agers). Cheers for taking the effort to post in such detail with lots of photos. Keen to see what you do to a 79 when you get it.
Hers a pic of my hzj75 for ya,
IMG_1916.JPG

Going to finally test the old persons sunscreen out this week!:shifty:

G'day ben,
Just read your whole thread from beginning to end (yes it did take agers). Cheers for taking the effort to post in such detail with lots of photos. Keen to see what you do to a 79 when you get it.
Hers a pic of my hzj75 for ya,
View attachment 108522

Wow! Good effort reading the whole thing! :clap:

You're welcome mate, glad you enjoyed it! :icon-biggrin:

Love you're 75! Looks very smart! :drool:

Must get across to WA one day! :icon-cool:

Cant wait to get a 79, will be something really special when I'm done with it! :dance:

OK Update Time!

As I'm slowly putting LJ back to being a bit more standard, I decided to refit the rear badges.

IMG_2799_zpsh2ahj0mf.jpg

Had to find some old pics to work out where they used to go.

IMG_2800_zps02nbheyo.jpg

IMG_2801_zpsnqrzoini.jpg

Stuck them back on with 3m double sided foam tape.

IMG_2802_zpsdki7bcn2.jpg

IMG_2803_zpsxwggo1d2.jpg

I've been doing lots of work on the rear bumper/bar.

So this is where we were up to at the last update, with the second hand rear bar.

IMG_2744_zpsqxjv2aaj.jpg

I picked up some steel for the towbar I nedeed to add to it.

IMG_2861_zpsft6kw6qi.jpg

And some 2mm checker plate that I had cut and folded.

IMG_2862_zps9eyqwq12.jpg

Designed the plates that would bolt the whole thing to the chassis.

IMG_2863_zpspbr31s6a.jpg

Tack welded the 2 8mm thick plates together.

IMG_2866_zpshou7sgvo.jpg

IMG_2867_zpsij6whdlx.jpg

Got them on the drill press and put a 48mm hole saw through them.

IMG_2873_zpsjqkvvlk4.jpg

IMG_2878_zpsdlbvmn33.jpg

IMG_2879_zpsnmgnm6tc.jpg

IMG_2880_zpsbouf0btw.jpg

Used some punches to work out where my mounting holes needed to be on my cardboard templates.

IMG_2899_zpsn6gaawcp.jpg

IMG_2899_zpsycbifdy0.jpg

IMG_2900_zpstzyhynbe.jpg

Transferred those marks onto my steel.

IMG_2901_zpskz3j6cz3.jpg

Center punched and drilled them.

IMG_2902_zpsnl1zmaao.jpg

Bolted them on.

IMG_2903_zpsmuoccmzx.jpg

Cut the old brackets off the rear bar.

IMG_2904_zpsyen9f7us.jpg

Tack welded the piece of 65mm box section, tow bar steel between my chassis plates.

IMG_2905_zpsuopjpzj7.jpg

IMG_2906_zpssvckjkpq.jpg

Bolted that back onto the chassis and brought LJ round to the garage to tack weld the rear bar onto the chassis plates.

IMG_2907_zps3mclaskt.jpg

IMG_2908_zpsyxp7b1c7.jpg

IMG_2909_zps3ol622sc.jpg

Got it on the bench to full weld it.

IMG_2934_zps0v2olodo.jpg

IMG_2935_zpsfggzc5lo.jpg

Test fitting back on the car.

IMG_2936_zps1rdejgnb.jpg

Decided the bar would look better filled in with checker plate and it would also tie in with my rock sliders that have checker plate on the top.

The piece I ordered was too wide so had to cut it down.

IMG_2937_zpsocj9cbal.jpg

IMG_2938_zpsqrond67t.jpg

Cut it to fit inside the tube work.

IMG_2941_zps8fm1qcpm.jpg

Clamped and it in position.

IMG_2943_zpsevumivlh.jpg

Dragged the welder outside.

IMG_2946_zpsck9bqn8c.jpg

And tack welded it in position.

IMG_2947_zpsyg9jmsm5.jpg

IMG_2948_zpsbk4bncue.jpg

IMG_2949_zpsneadivfa.jpg

IMG_2950_zpsn5y0ihwp.jpg

IMG_2951_zpsqdtqmj0c.jpg

IMG_2952_zpskhwirnuv.jpg

Pulled the bar off, flipped it over and started cutting in the receiver hitch for the towbar.

IMG_2962_zpsptt4sdf9.jpg

IMG_2963_zpsvgocrknu.jpg

Drilled a 16mm hole through the receiver section.

IMG_2964_zps21pzfozs.jpg

Cut it to length on my cold cut saw.

IMG_2965_zpsfwsx2aov.jpg

Decided to fully TIG weld the top piece of checker as I knew it would be far neater than using a MIG as I could just fusion weld the checker to the tube without needing to even add any filler rod.

IMG_2966_zpsmx6q7xui.jpg

IMG_2967_zpsc4pkezc8.jpg

We have a huge workshop at work for woodwork and metal work with every machine imaginable and my boss said I can come in and use what I like, when I like! :dance:

So I took the bar in to use the MIG.

IMG_2969_zps4dpttr3j.jpg

IMG_2970_zpsqodpluxs.jpg

IMG_2972_zpspkyl41wx.jpg

IMG_2973_zpsrw3w8fnn.jpg

IMG_2974_zpslcyt9dfo.jpg

Brought it home and drilled some holes through with a hole saw for the rear LED lights.

IMG_2978_zps5llua1la.jpg

Cut, drilled and welded on some mounting tabs for them.

IMG_2980_zpseybityz8.jpg

IMG_2981_zpszf1fhmtn.jpg

Welded on some cut chain links for the mudflaps.

IMG_2993_zps0maem3mt.jpg

Cut some strips of alluminium checker plate.

IMG_2990_zpsrjulfs5o.jpg

Bolted them to some thick rubber I cut for the mudflaps along with some chain.

IMG_2994_zpsw5c5djye.jpg

Needed to clean the bar up and get it ready for paint next, using the 3 Makita's.

IMG_2995_zpswxs3noce.jpg

IMG_2996_zpsm6inhbq0.jpg

Hung the bar up on a ratchet strap between LJ and the fence.

IMG_2997_zps7pvlwmr6.jpg

IMG_2998_zpsru4tewnl.jpg

Found some black paint.

IMG_2999_zpsa3syocq7.jpg

Sprayed it.

IMG_3001_zps3bu85yju.jpg

IMG_3003_zpsxck1shbw.jpg

IMG_3004_zpsxj8clurg.jpg

IMG_3011_zpstkm2drmg.jpg

IMG_3012_zpsp5gneriz.jpg

Bolted it on along with my rear swivel recovery point and LED lights.

IMG_3013_zpsm9ahghln.jpg

IMG_3014_zps10l1jyse.jpg

Mudflaps next.

IMG_3015_zpsbznbnjgc.jpg

IMG_3016_zpsi8t8kksw.jpg

Chains keep them away from the tyres.

IMG_3017_zpsscwifeeb.jpg

Then when we go off road they simply get clipped up higher out of the way.

IMG_3018_zpsxt79h4fb.jpg

The rear bar isnt finished, I need to add more steel to brace the towbar and side wings back to the chassis, then I want it shot blasting and powder coating. :think:

So why paint it and fit it I hear you ask...................

Well the wedding is now less than 2 weeks away and as we wont be going on a honey moon till next year as we have lots of international friends and family over for the wedding, it wont be practical to go away straight afterwards.

So were going on a mini pre-moon! :dance:

Going to jump on a ferry and take LJ to one of the islands for a few days of beach camping and relaxing! :cool:

So I had to get the rear bar fitted so we could have those all important mudflaps fitted to avoid any hassle from the boys in blue! :icon-biggrin:

Not too much other stuff has been happening. :think:

Been taking Lexi to the beach every weekend. :icon-cool:

We bought a new lounge suite last weekend and foolishly trusted Lexi with the old one in her area. :shifty:

It lasted 2 days until I got home to this. :doh:

IMG_2975_zpsooe2imzk.jpg

Now granted it was hideous anyway but I was keeping it as it folds out into a double bed. :think:

Oh well...............one less thing to move next year when we buy some where. :shifty:

I bought another new tool! :dance:

Trying to build up my collection now as they come up cheap on Gumtree rather than waiting until I desperately need one for a job. :think:

IMG_2855_zps4s9u2ynm.jpg

Purposely steered clear of cordless as I know which one will still be working in 30 years time! :icon-cool:

IMG_2856_zpsjd1bhxis.jpg

I wanted an edging tool to neaten up the edges of my lawns where it meets the concrete. :icon-biggrin:

IMG_2875_zps0crwyxvv.jpg

But I couldnt justify paying the stupid prices for the proper tool, when they were selling them for 2-3 times the price of a spade. :icon-rolleyes:

So I decided to knock one up out of some scrap I had in the garage.

Found and marked a piece of folded galvanized sheet steel.

IMG_2857_zpsulpn7wbs.jpg

Cut it out and cut and notched some 25mm tube.

IMG_2858_zpswaz0frch.jpg

Welded all the bits together.

IMG_2859_zpsa2lkqgqw.jpg

IMG_2860_zpsrqzjnouj.jpg

A quick spray silver and it was done! :icon-cool:

IMG_2871_zpsbs8cz48n.jpg

We were looking at some pineapples at a market and I spotted one with a double head on it and knew I had to have it! Should make a cool plant!

IMG_2847_zps6rpnhohh.jpg

I've plated that out now in some old paint pots as I couldnt justify the price of large, proper pots. :shifty:

IMG_3025_zps9lyaztnc.jpg

The fruit and veg garden is really starting to come back alive now as the weather warms up for Summer. :icon-cool:

IMG_3026_zps6dcphrl6.jpg

I've got lots of tomato seedlings growing in pots, from some seeds I bought.

IMG_3027_zps9w0h9pdn.jpg

To get a head start I also bought 2 different tomato plants a few weeks ago and they are now starting to produce lots of tomatoes.

IMG_3028_zpsvlivqqqy.jpg

IMG_3029_zpsargijsky.jpg

The strawberries are also taking off.

IMG_3030_zpsteirkjzi.jpg

IMG_3031_zpsuo6snzfb.jpg

This side the Rosemary, Basil, Mint and Thyme are all doing well and the Parsnip seeds I planted are starting to sprout too.

IMG_3032_zpsfl2wqogk.jpg

The original pineapple top I planted is continuing to grow bigger and bigger, so I'm hopeful fruit wont be too far away. :pray:

IMG_3033_zpsh9posczr.jpg

I've been getting out for more rides on the bike! :dance:

Got out with 2 of my mates for a ride last week.

IMG_2915_zpsypaqvqkp.jpg

Headed out through the hinterland and down to Nimbin to one of my favorite cafes for a spot of lunch, complete with hippy entertainment.

IMG_2917_zpsfjn6pzwd.jpg

IMG_2918_zpsadavmt8l.jpg

Stopped at a reservoir for a look on the way back.

IMG_2919_zpsfxlgcxz5.jpg

Was a great day! :icon-biggrin:

I recently got 160kmh out of the bike (on private property of course). I was pretty impressed with that and it felt like it had a bit more left, but on knobbly tyres and with no fairing it didnt feel too safe so I will stick to 100-130 in future. :think:

IMG_2744_zpsqxjv2aaj.jpg

Last edited:

Going to finally test the old persons sunscreen out this week!:shifty:

Wow! Good effort reading the whole thing! :clap:

You're welcome mate, glad you enjoyed it! :icon-biggrin:

Love you're 75! Looks very smart! :drool:

Must get across to WA one day! :icon-cool:

Cant wait to get a 79, will be something really special when I'm done with it!
Hello Ben,I'm one of the old folks now,but all my life in everything I've driven
I like to sit high looking down on what's ahead and always have the interior sunvisor down.If you do that you are more comfortable when driving into the
sun.Regards and happy birthday.Pat

your welds are bloody lovely Ben,I've worked with a lot of top gun welders over the years and you are one of the best.

Nice work on the rear bumper, veg plot looking good too.

Nice work as usual Ben.

I started wondering if you intended some braces for the receiver, till you mentioned it toward the end of that part of the post.

As the receiver is the lowest point on the bumper, it's likely to get some hits on drop-offs and the occasional rock.

Mine does anyway and on a flat and level surface, unloaded, mine stands at 550mm off the ground, so it's surprising how it gets hits at all!

IMG_8690.JPG

IMG_8686.JPG

You likely know ARB products better than me but the rear carrier bumper for the 80 is a great example of ARB getting it right.

IMG_8688.JPG

From underneath, you can see the shape of the brace, nice and wide, and thick steel, which makes for good protection from rocks.

IMG_8687.JPG

Side on, you can see how it protects the receiver.

IMG_8689.JPG

The drillings make it an ideal platform for safety chains and whatever else you may want to attach or mount.

Receivers are great, out can switch from tow ball to sankey, bike racks or other mountings. If the receiver is well braced, you can have up to a meter of protrusion, for bike racks holding 5 bikes on the horizontal (how many kids do you intend on having?:whistle: :lol: )

Last edited:

Clive, that looks nice and solid, thanks. Might brace mine in a similar way. :icon-biggrin:

Just back from an amazing 4 days away beach camping and 4wding. :dance:

Hoping to get a trip report up soon. :icon-wink:

Before the trip I had to alter the very end section of exhaust as with the old rear bumper the exhaust came straight through it, but with the new one this wasnt possible. :think:

IMG_3049_zpstkjhutqe.jpg

A bit of cutting and welding later and it was done.

IMG_3049_zpstkjhutqe.jpg

IMG_3051_zpswdbcbbi3.jpg

IMG_3052_zpsmljstmbf.jpg

IMG_3055_zpslpaehcyo.jpg

IMG_3056_zpsrqhasjdk.jpg

IMG_3057_zpskntyvt01.jpg

I also decided to refit the anti roll bar (or sway bar as their called here), to make LJ a bit more road friendly now I'm not driving anything too extreme.

It hadnt been fitted for 6 years so it took a little bit of working out to remember how it bolts on.

IMG_2794_zps7pa8neje.jpg

IMG_2795_zpsqtmknu2z.jpg

IMG_2796_zpsnvx9rlzp.jpg

Then LJ was ready for the trip! :dance:

We wanted to go to Fraser Island or Moreton Island but nbeither of them allow dogs, unfortunately. :doh:

So we decided to head to North Stradbroke Island instead where dogs are welcome! :cool:

A quick look at the map reveals just how close it is to where we are in Oxenford.

Less than an hour to the ferry terminal.

IMG_3147_zps1rhxdknf.jpg

IMG_3148_zpskiehdfil.jpg

We booked to stay at the Southern end of Main Beach on the East Coast, where the blue dot is.

IMG_3150_zpsw26snszw.jpg

We got LJ fully loaded on Monday morning.

IMG_3060_zps3yxwdxye.jpg

IMG_3062_zpsaa7juosd.jpg

Got to the ferry terminal just in time after some nightmare traffic on the motorway.

IMG_3064_zps697dhsgm.jpg

And we were soon on the boat.

IMG_3065_zpsq0vj1bql.jpg

IMG_3068_zpswuyhdabc.jpg

IMG_3077_zpsnt2tmti5.jpg

40 minutes later we were on the island and we were soon on the tracks.

IMG_3078_zpsuz7exvlg.jpg

IMG_3079_zpsh3ywhlqs.jpg

Quite a cloudy overcast day but the beach and water still looked beautiful.

IMG_3080_zpsbce20do9.jpg

We headed South down Main Beach towards our camp.

IMG_3083_zpsjqcbvjgd.jpg

IMG_3085_zpsn8q37dqm.jpg

IMG_3086_zpsmczwzchq.jpg

IMG_3088_zps68v7d7hx.jpg

The tracks leading into the camping areas behind the dunes were all marked with numbers.

IMG_3089_zpsknsz3jur.jpg

These tracks were a lot of fun and quite challenging in places as they wound their way in and the dunes.

IMG_3090_zpszgg6orb9.jpg

IMG_3093_zps7eoti2uo.jpg

Not liking any of the first camping spots as they had no beach views, we rejoined the beach and headed further South.

IMG_3094_zps8tosbpeg.jpg

We found a beautiful spot overlooking the beach and our nearest neighbor was a few k's away! :dance:

IMG_3095_zpsrilujyfu.jpg

IMG_3096_zpsfmdzxeus.jpg

IMG_3097_zpspg6he3pf.jpg

IMG_3100_zps7ubdnq4l.jpg

The fire was soon lit.

IMG_3101_zpsoauajfls.jpg

And Lexi was having the time of her life on the beach.

IMG_3104_zpsss9w8mka.jpg

IMG_3105_zpsrdejj2wh.jpg

IMG_3108_zpsjxc3iaqk.jpg

IMG_3109_zpsmjlerghp.jpg

IMG_3112_zpseb7his98.jpg

IMG_3115_zpssqbdw2dd.jpg

I cooked us dinner.

IMG_3116_zpscoit2j2k.jpg

IMG_3117_zpslw3uxzgz.jpg

IMG_3118_zps8n6eizzw.jpg

IMG_3119_zpsvukwoqzb.jpg

We spent the evening relaxing round the fire with a few cold ones.

The next morning the fire was soon re-lit and the kettle boiling.

IMG_3131_zpsq3hadqf3.jpg

IMG_3132_zps4rpantvq.jpg

IMG_3133_zpst9at7gyj.jpg

IMG_3136_zpsy0hjza8y.jpg

IMG_3140_zpsqk8sc5vm.jpg

While we tucked into the yummy sausage, egg, cheese and tomato sandwiches

IMG_3142_zpspvomfrzj.jpg

Lexi started eating the fire wood! :lol:

IMG_3144_zpsjdvwczef.jpg

IMG_3146_zps0rm8ggnu.jpg

I decided to drop the tyre pressures a bit more as I'd gone down to 20psi when we got off the ferry but found I was struggling for traction at times in the soft sand.

IMG_3151_zpsxcmzjk4v.jpg

IMG_3152_zpsxe6z7rpp.jpg

We hit the beach and headed North.

IMG_3153_zpsyydcdwri.jpg

And soon found ourselves briefly back in civilisation.

IMG_3156_zpswtpgwqyk.jpg

IMG_3159_zpswxw3t3np.jpg

We headed onto one of the beaches at the top of the island.

IMG_3160_zpstsijecnd.jpg

IMG_3161_zpspepxifxr.jpg

Sadly the tide was in so we couldnt drive along this beach just yet.

IMG_3162_zpsxmtybzf5.jpg

So we carried on exploring the top of the island.

IMG_3164_zps5jsunhzv.jpg

We got a bit of rain and decided to head back to camp.

IMG_3166_zps9dmtpa8k.jpg

IMG_3168_zps9npicjnh.jpg

It brightened up a bit and we sat and had a few cold ones.

IMG_3173_zps6acfydyv.jpg

IMG_3174_zpstoa06zmq.jpg

IMG_3177_zpsywygq8jt.jpg

It had all been too much for Lexi who had a good sleep.

IMG_3178_zpsutu2a82r.jpg

But not for too long.

IMG_3181_zpsipaufbyd.jpg

I got dinner on.

IMG_3183_zpsvbznubft.jpg

Chicken satay steaks and veggies.

IMG_3185_zpsqa4l67it.jpg

IMG_3187_zpsjqdtshjz.jpg

IMG_3188_zps2puljvfu.jpg

We then relaxed round the fire with a few more cold ones.

IMG_3190_zpsjm6abnmb.jpg

The next morning we awoke to beautiful clear blue sky's and sunshine! :dance:

IMG_3194_zpscksmjtfl.jpg

IMG_3195_zps6envzuf8.jpg

IMG_3197_zpsjd1iabat.jpg

Another yummy breakfast!

IMG_3200_zpsgyb4ksyd.jpg

IMG_3201_zpsvwapzmsd.jpg

Then it was time to hit the beach and do some more exploring.

IMG_3202_zpswl4vkrb0.jpg

IMG_3203_zpslispizlv.jpg

IMG_3204_zpsbkeby29y.jpg

IMG_3205_zpsdxetwsud.jpg

IMG_3208_zpshvdlc2zo.jpg

IMG_3209_zpsgrt5sy2j.jpg

IMG_3210_zpscuex2c4x.jpg

IMG_3211_zpsnuxgxtmz.jpg

IMG_3212_zps5pw5zdba.jpg

IMG_3213_zpszvuvz0zw.jpg

IMG_3216_zpsrx5vk7i4.jpg

IMG_3219_zpsbm9pkgsg.jpg

IMG_3220_zpsygno5tbl.jpg

IMG_3222_zpsyt3x5b6o.jpg

We headed back into the dune tracks to explore them some more.

IMG_3225_zps9natlxzs.jpg

IMG_3227_zpsnfxx02cs.jpg

IMG_3228_zpstsnqdd8b.jpg

IMG_3229_zps9vf3xtmn.jpg

IMG_3231_zpsquixqths.jpg

IMG_3232_zpse0dghgjp.jpg

IMG_3233_zpscw1go57q.jpg

IMG_3238_zpseapur983.jpg

The tracks were fun and occasionally we were rewarded with views of the ocean.

IMG_3239_zps3dizq5js.jpg

We saw lots of roo's.

IMG_3241_zpsyb2tclla.jpg

IMG_3242_zpshtcylldz.jpg

IMG_3243_zpsq1s8dzmo.jpg

IMG_3244_zps2ynz0sgf.jpg

IMG_3245_zps8rqq5haw.jpg

IMG_3247_zpsk4cwrm3r.jpg

IMG_3250_zpsefbpfatd.jpg

IMG_3257_zpspcpvgohv.jpg

We returned to camp and spotted some dolphins swimming close to the foreshore.

IMG_3261_zpsjldzdd6w.jpg

Relaxed with another cold one.

IMG_3267_zpsxmbse69b.jpg

It was quite windy by this point and the tent needed all guy ropes and pegs to keep it secured.

IMG_3268_zpsfdu6d0ax.jpg

IMG_3269_zpsa2x0a6tx.jpg

Before hitting the beach and heading North again.

IMG_3274_zpsizerpnhd.jpg

IMG_3276_zpsesxkhuho.jpg

We headed back into civilisation.

IMG_3278_zpsaaztn9qy.jpg

And were greeted with stunning views.

IMG_3279_zpsbvghk1jr.jpg

IMG_3280_zpssg1tyaf8.jpg

In complete contrast to the wild waters of the East coast, the sheltered waters of the West coast were beautiful and calm.

IMG_3281_zpsen0yonm6.jpg

As it was now low tide we headed back to drive the beach we couldnt drive the previous day.

IMG_3282_zpsroxtoobg.jpg

The contrast of the pure white sand and turquoise blue ocean was stunning! :clap:

IMG_3283_zpsch3xpdkb.jpg

IMG_3284_zps9w1mxmvh.jpg

IMG_3285_zps6mybe5qh.jpg

IMG_3287_zpsaz6qmmd2.jpg

We drove the entire beach.

IMG_3289_zps39wyo8lr.jpg

Then drove back across the island to Main Beach.

IMG_3290_zpsecp9tcci.jpg

And headed South back to camp.

IMG_3292_zpspbzmvak5.jpg

IMG_3295_zpsrmuoc2bk.jpg

Fire was soon going again.

IMG_3296_zpsg4hfcx5d.jpg

Marinaded steak and veggies for dinner.

IMG_3297_zps5bqwenzu.jpg

IMG_3298_zpszhchlobp.jpg

Lexi had more fun in the water.

IMG_3299_zpskacl9h3k.jpg

IMG_3302_zpsdxta71ds.jpg

IMG_3305_zpshmrlnidy.jpg

Followed by a nice exfoliating sand rub!

IMG_3306_zps1pstupws.jpg

IMG_3310_zps0np60jhk.jpg

IMG_3311_zps8t21s7tm.jpg

IMG_3316_zpsu2lejyxq.jpg

We relaxed with a few more cold ones around the fire.

IMG_3318_zpslkatqgwt.jpg

And were treated to an amazing sunset sky!

IMG_3319_zpsbuetssiu.jpg

IMG_3320_zps86crqhri.jpg

IMG_3321_zpsnredwbf5.jpg

IMG_3322_zpsnyvsybtk.jpg

IMG_3323_zps6y42sfgc.jpg

IMG_3327_zpskpwguehq.jpg

The next morning I was awake nice and early.

IMG_3328_zpslhwvetzu.jpg

And was rewarded with a beautiful sunrise over the Pacific.

IMG_3331_zpsnjv3dllq.jpg

IMG_3335_zpsawacpfyb.jpg

We packed the camp up and headed for the boat.

IMG_3338_zpskofx5s4x.jpg

Which soon arrived and after unloading its cargo.

IMG_3339_zpstyxfbyaj.jpg

We were first to board.

IMG_3341_zps7pdqnfsq.jpg

They had to lower the ramp for the upper deck for us as it was a full house.

IMG_3342_zpsviicupl5.jpg

IMG_3343_zpsalqypces.jpg

And we were off!

Sadly facing backwards but the water was calm and it was a pleasant journey.

IMG_3344_zpspdfcrqfh.jpg

IMG_3345_zps4qnzophe.jpg

IMG_3346_zpsezpguowm.jpg

We soon reached the main land.

IMG_3349_zpsbrwsfofg.jpg

IMG_3351_zpsecrpi9ve.jpg

IMG_3352_zpsv1ftfy3s.jpg

And 40 minutes later we were home!

It was an amazing trip and so close to home! We will get to Fraser, but its 4+ hours drive North
versus less than an hour for North Stradbroke and we can take Lexi.

Going mid week helped ensure we had an amazing camping spot all to ourselves that felt like it could be a thousand k's from anywhere, yet it was only a 40 min drive back to civilisation on the island and on a clear day we could see the skyscrapers of Surfers Paradise to the South! :dance:

We will definitely be back again, although I want to do a forest camp next time as the last few trips we've done have been beach trips. :think:

Looking at those skies i reckon you missed a slot in this years club calendar by not getting your wheels wet Ben .

Great pics Ben. Looks a really nice place to visit and get away for a few days.

Cracking sunset pics Ben. You have some fantastic driving tracks on your doorstep. Thanks for sharing your trip Ben. All the best to you and Bec. :)

What a great trip, so close but a complete change. You all look very happy, and as you know by now, that's what's important in life.

Thanks for sharing all those lovely photos mate. :thumbup:

Was an awesome trip! :dance:

I'm looking forward to a forest camp next though. As beautiful as the beaches are the bloody sand gets everywhere and the flies can be pretty horrific at times. :think:

Back