Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Will it be On the road soon too then ?

I'm aiming for February, lots still to do but if we get this new house (auction is this Saturday) then that will no doubt take up a lot of my time and I've got another 3 4wd trips planned for this year. :think:

I'm working on the rear bumper at the moment which I'm hoping to have finished next week. Then I need to run all the fuel lines. Design and build a new engine sump as its too close to the front diff in this chassis (was fine in the RJ70 one), then its just a mountain of wiring. :shifty:

Don’t rush him Andy, this will need at least a one-week drum-roll :lol:

Brilliant work Ben, as usual :thumbup:

:lol:

Thanks mate. :thumbup:

awesome job! I love how the truck is looking, well done!

Thanks Steve, its going to look awesome when its finished! :thumbup:

I built a rear bumper for LJ. :icon-cool:

Started off with some quality Aussie made steel.

IMG_2105.jpg

Drilled some pilot holes in it.

IMG_2107.jpg

Put a 20mm hole saw through them.

IMG_2109.jpg

Joined the holes up with an angle grinder.

IMG_2110.jpg

IMG_2111.jpg

Cleaned the cut out up with a die grinder and inserted the receiver hitch section.

IMG_2133.jpg

IMG_2134.jpg

Cut and drilled some 8mm thick plate and bolted them on.

IMG_2141.jpg

IMG_2142.jpg

IMG_2143.jpg

Drilled some more holes.

IMG_2145.jpg

Joined the holes up with the angle grinder.

IMG_2147.jpg

And cleaned them up with the die grinder.

IMG_2148.jpg

IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2150.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg

I found some 2.5mm thick washers to use to space the plates away from the chassis slightly to give me some room to get the bumper on/off again once its built, especially after its powder coated.

IMG_2155.jpg

Bolted them on.

IMG_2156.jpg

IMG_2157.jpg

IMG_2158.jpg

Tacked them in position with the MIG.

IMG_2166.jpg

I bought some 75mm x 25mm flat.

IMG_2416.jpg

Drilled a 25mm hole in each end of it.

IMG_2418.jpg

IMG_2419.jpg

IMG_2420.jpg

IMG_2422.jpg

Cut the ends on a 45 degree angle then cut it in half.

IMG_2424.jpg

IMG_2425.jpg

IMG_2427.jpg

Cleaned them up on the linisher.

IMG_2436.jpg

IMG_2437.jpg

Brought it to work and TIG'd it all.

IMG_2438.jpg

IMG_2439.jpg

IMG_2440.jpg

IMG_2441.jpg

Cut and marked some 3mm sheet.

IMG_2522.jpg

Folded it up then tried it in position.

IMG_2834.jpg

IMG_2836.jpg

IMG_2837.jpg

IMG_2838.jpg

IMG_2839.jpg

Cut and folded some more 3mm for the ends.

IMG_2864.jpg

IMG_2865.jpg

I cut and folded some more 3mm sheet.

IMG_2867.jpg

Tacked them on.

IMG_2868.jpg

IMG_2869.jpg

IMG_2870.jpg

IMG_2871.jpg

Welded some more 3mm sheet on to the bottom of the wings to add some strength and to stop me getting hung up on things.

IMG_2877.jpg

I also added some 50mm x 10mm steel to brace the whole thing further forwards on the chassis

IMG_2878.jpg

IMG_2879.jpg

IMG_2880.jpg

1 last trial fit.

IMG_2881.jpg

IMG_2882.jpg

IMG_2883.jpg

IMG_2884.jpg

IMG_2885.jpg

Took it back to work, fully welded it all up then smoothed all the welds down, welded the recovery points on and drilled some holes for the LED lights and a hole for the exhaust.

IMG_2941.jpg

IMG_2942.jpg

IMG_2943.jpg

Got it electroplated.

IMG_2949.jpg

IMG_2951.jpg

IMG_2952.jpg

Also got the mud flaps brackets done and the 2 chassis plates for the bumper.

Unfortunately there was a short circuit and they didnt get fully plated so had to get re-done.

IMG_2953.jpg

IMG_2954.jpg

IMG_2955.jpg

Got it powder coated satin black.

IMG_3069.jpg

IMG_3070.jpg

Fitted the LED lights.

IMG_3071.jpg

And bolted the bumper on.

IMG_3072.jpg

IMG_3073.jpg

IMG_3074.jpg

IMG_3075.jpg

IMG_3078.jpg

IMG_3079.jpg

IMG_3080.jpg

IMG_3081.jpg

IMG_3082.jpg

IMG_3083.jpg

IMG_3084.jpg

Wit the bumper finished I started making the new hard fuel lines to run from the tank to engine.

IMG_2481.jpg

I used a brake line flaring toolto flare the ends of the pipes to stop the hoses slipping off.

IMG_2482.jpg

IMG_2483.jpg

IMG_2484.jpg

Cut, bent and flared the first 3 pipes.

IMG_2987.jpg

IMG_2988.jpg

And bolted them on.

IMG_2989.jpg

IMG_2991.jpg

Made the last section to go along the chassis rails.

IMG_2992.jpg

IMG_2997.jpg

IMG_2998.jpg

IMG_2999.jpg

Diff breathers went on next along with ARB air locker air lines which were run in split tubing.

IMG_3027.jpg

IMG_3028.jpg

IMG_3029.jpg

IMG_3030.jpg

I picked up and fitted a new fuel filter.

IMG_2995.jpg

IMG_2996.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I got the parts necessary to control my ARB air lockers using an OEM switch for that factory finish. :icon-cool:

IMG_2853.jpg

IMG_2855.jpg

IMG_2856.jpg

IMG_2972.jpg

I drilled a hole in the dash and fitted an M6 rivnut.

IMG_2973.jpg

And bolted the switch housing on.

IMG_2974.jpg

I couldnt justify the extortionate amount of money Toyota wanted for a 6" piece of wire with the correct crimped on terminal on the end, so I broke the plastic connector off a piece of old wiring loom.

IMG_2975.jpg

IMG_2976.jpg

And cut 3 piece off.

IMG_2977.jpg

And fitted those into the connector and then fitted that onto the switch.

IMG_2978.jpg

And pushed the switch into the housing.

IMG_2979.jpg

IMG_2980.jpg

When I got the bits for the rear bumper electroplated I also got the 3 little spring clips done for the KZJ70 airbox I've restored.

I think they finish it off nicely. :clap:

IMG_2969.jpg

IMG_2970.jpg

IMG_2971.jpg

One of the other members of the Bundera club got in touch recently to say that he had bought the same cover set as me for the door tops and that he'd noticed 2 of the covers were wrong.

IMG_2843.jpg

It turns out these 2 dont belong in this set. :doh:

IMG_2844.jpg

They should look like the 2x numbered one and two.

IMG_2845.jpg

They fit the doors with the door tops fitted but dont cover the holes when they are removed.

IMG_2861.jpg

IMG_2862.jpg

So I will have to order the correct 2.

I got the Toyota tool that all soft top models came with for unbolting the door tops.

IMG_2846.jpg

The 1UZ V8 sump cleared the front diff OK in the older RJ70 chassis but not in LJ's chassis.

IMG_3041.jpg

IMG_3042.jpg

So I removed it.

IMG_3043.jpg

IMG_3045.jpg

IMG_3046.jpg

IMG_3047.jpg

And started designing my own.

Cardboard template first.

IMG_3048.jpg

Followed by a sheet of 6mm alluminium.

IMG_3302.jpg

IMG_3304.jpg

I did look at what other sumps or sump parts were available and I found this DIY kit from the US but it was very expensive, interesting though.

IMG_3035.jpg

IMG_3036.jpg

IMG_3039.jpg

IMG_3040.jpg

LJ got put on hold for a little while while I made some 1KZ engine conversion plates which allow owners of LJ and RJ 70's to bolt a 1KZ engine straight in with no cutting, drilling or welding to the chassis.

They've been selling well and if anyone wants a set just give me a shout. ;)

IMG_2515.jpg

IMG_2516.jpg

IMG_2517.jpg

IMG_2519.jpg

Sam has taken quite a likening to LJ and happily sat in the cab for an hour the other day while I was working on it. :icon-twisted:

IMG_2492.jpg

3 weeks ago today it was Sam's first birthday. :occasion-balloons:

So we went out and bought him a house. :happy-wavemulticol:

IMG_2905.jpg

IMG_2908.jpg

IMG_2910.jpg

Sam had a nice party in a local park.

IMG_2917.jpg

IMG_2918.jpg

Then we went back to the house to show him what we had bought.

IMG_2929.jpg

We move in in less than 2 weeks and we cant wait!!!! :happy-cheerleaderk:

Last edited:
Fantastic news Ben.
Congrats to all of you, but of course especially to young Sam!

Reactions: Ben
Looking great Ben. Can’t believe the little man is one already!! House looks great. Smooth move buying it for Sam, he’ll enjoy paying all the bills, doing the repairs, doing the garden etc and saving on inheritance tax. :thumbup:

I couldn’t see clearly but I’m guessing those recovery plates are inserted through a cutout in the 3mm steel to be welded to the sides of the chassis plates. Nice bumper design. You’re getting quite a dab hand at them. Did you consider doing the corners at a 45 degree angle at all? I probably would have and then made a total hash of it. :lol: Nice touch using the flare tool to put some barbs on the fuel lines. Are they copper or bundy tube?

Brilliant!

Great work on the truck as usual Ben, and many congrats on the house purchase :clap::clap::clap:

Dreams coming true the way they should.

(Did someone once mention staying single and doing 5 years down the mines? Surely not!!)

Super bumper build, impressed.
And good news on the house

Congrats Ben,that will keep you very busy and you are building up your assets.

Hey @Ben,

I've just seen on Early Land Cruiser Spare's Facebook page he has an RJ70 in for dismantling - it's a black framed window model with a FRP roof... now that you're not in sunny QLD I thought the FRP might be of interest...

View attachment 151716

I cut and folded some more 3mm sheet.

View attachment 151717

Tacked them on.

View attachment 151718

View attachment 151719

View attachment 151720

View attachment 151721

Welded some more 3mm sheet on to the bottom of the wings to add some strength and to stop me getting hung up on things.

View attachment 151722

I also added some 50mm x 10mm steel to brace the whole thing further forwards on the chassis

View attachment 151723

View attachment 151724

View attachment 151725

1 last trial fit.

View attachment 151726

View attachment 151727

View attachment 151728

View attachment 151729

View attachment 151730

Took it back to work, fully welded it all up then smoothed all the welds down, welded the recovery points on and drilled some holes for the LED lights and a hole for the exhaust.

View attachment 151731

View attachment 151732

View attachment 151733

Got it electroplated.

View attachment 151734

View attachment 151735

View attachment 151736

Also got the mud flaps brackets done and the 2 chassis plates for the bumper.

Unfortunately there was a short circuit and they didnt get fully plated so had to get re-done.

View attachment 151737

View attachment 151738

View attachment 151739
Good work on that bumper Ben looking good !

Thanks guys. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I couldn’t see clearly but I’m guessing those recovery plates are inserted through a cutout in the 3mm steel to be welded to the sides of the chassis plates. Did you consider doing the corners at a 45 degree angle at all? Are they copper or bundy tube?

Yes welded to the side of the chassis plates, so nice and strong. :icon-twisted:

I considered doing the sides at 45 degree angles but I was limited by what our folder at work can fold, technically its not meant to go above 2mm so bending 3mm on it is a real struggle. :shhh:

Yes its Bundy tube, so double walled, annealed, copper coated steel. :icon-cool:

(Did someone once mention staying single and doing 5 years down the mines? Surely not!!)

:lol:

The mining boom ended before I could get there. :doh:

Then I met Bec! :shifty:

Hey @Ben,

I've just seen on Early Land Cruiser Spare's Facebook page he has an RJ70 in for dismantling - it's a black framed window model with a FRP roof... now that you're not in sunny QLD I thought the FRP might be of interest...

Thanks Ed, I spotted that on Facebook and upset him by saying it was a shame to wreck it. :|

The removable FRP roof was already sold anyway. :thumbdown:

Air Boat!

I dont really take many pics anymore of what I do at work, mainly because I'm working as an auto electrician/fitter 3 days a week and only get 1 day a week to work as a toy builder. :shifty:

But I have been doing some work on the airboat project lately! :icon-twisted:

I mounted the Subaru Impreza engine on an alluminium stand.

IMG_3496.jpg

IMG_3497.jpg

Then we sat that in the boat.

IMG_3498.jpg

We were not sure exactly where in the boat it would need to sit as we were not sure what the boat would sit like in water.

So we went to a local lake to test it! :icon-cool:

IMG_3510.jpg

IMG_3509.jpg

Amazingly it floated beautifully, didnt leak and was really stable in the water! :dance:

IMG_3511.jpg

IMG_3513.jpg

IMG_3514.jpg

The New House

Before we moved into the new house I began making a set of gates for it out of 25mm x 25mm x 3mm box section steel.

IMG_3525.jpg

I sent them to be powder coated satin black and then did the big move. :icon-biggrin:

I owe a huge thanks to my friends Jiri and Aneta, they worked really hard! :clap:

IMG_3537.jpg

IMG_3538.jpg

I fitted the gates.

IMG_3552.jpg

Then clad them in Australian hard wood decking boards.

IMG_3624.jpg

IMG_3625.jpg

As the house has 2 driveways, one down each side I needed to do something with the other side.

My plan is to block the other side off with a big shed/garage. :icon-twisted:

But for now I got the base from a big crate my South African colleague's kit car came on from the UK and that fitted perfectly in the gap between the house and fence.

IMG_3555.jpg

Then it was time to go and fetch LJ! :dance:

My friends lent me their Troopy to tow it with as The 78 was having some mechanical work done and wasnt usable.

IMG_3568.jpg

IMG_3569.jpg

IMG_3571.jpg

IMG_3574.jpg

IMG_3576.jpg

IMG_3577.jpg

That got put in one side of the double garage and the other side will be my workshop.

IMG_3655.jpg

IMG_3660.jpg

IMG_3656.jpg

IMG_3657.jpg

IMG_3658.jpg

IMG_3659.jpg

This eyesore, cement sheet clad, rat infested garage will be getting demolished shortly as it blocks the amazing view down the valley and is in the way of where I will extend the driveway down to the bottom of the garden. :think:

IMG_3627.jpg

IMG_3628.jpg

The garden beyond is an overgrown mess with random fences, sheds, old baths and junk everywhere. :icon-rolleyes:

IMG_3629.jpg

IMG_3619.jpg

IMG_3632.jpg

IMG_3630.jpg

Nothing like an old bath full of stagnant water to attract the mossies! :crazy:

This is actually the third one, the other 2 I tipped out on the first day, this one is a little harder to get to.

IMG_3631.jpg

IMG_3633.jpg

IMG_3634.jpg

IMG_3636.jpg

IMG_3637.jpg

IMG_3638.jpg

IMG_3640.jpg

IMG_3641.jpg

Yesterday I chopped the first 3 trees down. :icon-twisted:

IMG_3643.jpg

IMG_3644.jpg

This shed I will dismantle over the next few weeks, the tin sheets I will keep but the timber frame will get burnt.
IMG_3646.jpg

This shed is actually quite well built and the metal frame all bolts together so this shed I will move and keep.

IMG_3647.jpg

IMG_3648.jpg

IMG_3649.jpg

The lemon tree on the left and mandarin tree on the right I want to save, but they're in the wrong position so will need to be carefully dug up and moved.

The big apple tree in the middle I'm hoping to keep but it needs a really big prune as it hasnt had a hair cut in years and all the apples are small as its spreading its self too thin.

Just in front of the apple tree there will be a meter high retaining wall running left to right in order for me be able to terrace the sloping block of land and create a huge flat, level grassy area for the kids.

IMG_3650.jpg

On the piece of land where The 78 is parked I will build a big 2 story extension with a huge open plan kitchen/lounge above with balcony overlooking the garden and views of the valley, with another double garage below. :icon-cool:

To the right of that, where the other driveway comes down and the pallet is currently blocking the entrance is where the sheds will go, which I will be building over the next few weeks as I'm struggling with storage in the double garage and have been forced to store a few things in the single garage, which I didnt really want to do as its pretty gross in there with dead rats all over the place. :icon-smile:

IMG_3651.jpg

I harvested some good fire wood from the trees I chopped down which will come in useful in winter as currently our only source of heating is a log burner.

IMG_3654.jpg

Have a great Christmas and New Years guys. :text-merryxmas: :text-happynewyear:

Happy Christmas and happy New year to yourself and family Ben. The new house looks lovely but I don't envy you with the rats lol.

You’ve an interesting plot there Ben, I’m sure you’ll make the best of it.

Shame there weren’t a few barn-finds amongst that lot :lol:

The rats will dissapear once you get the place cleaned up. What is with folks who want to litter the place up with junk? Its one thing I’ve never understood.

Merry Christmas to you and your family, our daughter got us up at 4:00am this morning so excited that Santa had come.

It’s blowing a hooley, -3C and snowing ATM.... :lol:

Ben,you are making a great start,with the old cement sheet garage be careful it hasn’t got asbestos in it as council regulations on its removal And disposal
May be tough.inNZ mention the word asbestos it can cost you.
It sure seems to be a nice section with a good outlook.Cheers pat

You’ve clearly chosen well with that house Ben. It’ll be interesting to see what you make of it in the coming years. Looks like a good plot, good versatile access, potential and a view. Great start.

Hope you’ve had a good Christmas.
Best wishes from Rich and Lynn.

Back