Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

thanks Julian :thumbup:

i think it would be these ones:-

http://www.justdifferentials.com/index. ... 7eaf618f3e

as im already running 4.8's so would have to go higher than that to have lower gearing. :think:

but because im running LJ70 diffs with the 3litre engine, its already got better gearing for the bigger tyres, than if i say had a KZJ70 with KZJ70 diffs and bigger tyres.

hope that makes sense? :?

the gearing actually seems ok, and i dont think i need to re-gear just yet. maybe one day though when i fit bigger tyres!

i think one day when the bodywork is totally battered and abused im going to tray back it and stick 37"+ tyres on it and turn it into an all out challenge truck! :twisted: :dance:

Bloody hell Ben, you do get yourself into some scrapes and I'm always impressed in how you just get on with it (you were born to be an Ozzie), but what a cracking job on your Mum's motor so you could continue with the truck.

Inspirational as always, keep it going fella :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks Trevor. :thumbup:

i usually just............................

keep-calm-and-carry-on.jpg

shame ive had all these problems with the diff though, was hoping to get out laning today. :(

oh well.......................got a big trip on next sunday with the suzuki guys, so im hoping it will be fixed in time. :pray:

went and picked up a front axle from Karl today. :clap:

we lifted it onto the back of the hi-lux with the forklift.

P4220002.jpg

getting it back off when we got it to mine, with just the 2 of us was a bit of a struggle. it must weight about 200kgs!

P4220001.jpg

i really wanted it in the garage or workshop, but there just wasnt room, really need to tidy up. so decided to put it in the shed.

P4220004.jpg

P4220005.jpg

drained the oil.

P4220006.jpg

unbolted the callipers.

P4220007.jpg

followed by free wheeling hubs and discs/hubs.

P4220008.jpg

P4220009.jpg

P4220010.jpg

shafts out.

P4220011.jpg

P4220012.jpg

P4220013.jpg

and diff out.

P4220014.jpg

P4220015.jpg

i noticed the locking tab bits wernt perfectly vertical, not sure how critical that is? on mine they were sat perfectly vertical. :?

P4220018.jpg

started unbolting everything, and putting the bits and bolts in petrol to soak.

P4220019.jpg

P4220020.jpg

bent the locking tabs back and removed all the bolts. i was then able to carefully tap the ring gear off using a rubber mallet.

compared it with my one.

P4220023.jpg

P4220024.jpg

fortunately it looks almost identical, and is the same ratio. :clap: :dance:

i gave the new ring gear a good clean up and couldnt find any cracks or damage. :D

huge thanks to Karl for helping me out, again, and to my mate with the hi-lux for taking me to get the axle. :clap:

just need to get back down to Rogers now, and have another go at getting the locker built up with the new ring gear. :thumbup:

Good stuff ben. Im really happy it was the same :thumbup:

You say it was heavy,try moving a 80 one :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
yeah thanks Karl. :thumbup:

at least we now know that the diffs on earlier and later 70's are the same, even if the axle casing is quite different! :cool:

it was bloody heavy. :thumbdown:

are 80 ones that much heavier? :shock:

Quite a bit heavier I would say mate. I can lift one off the floor myself and move it. Not far though!!!!!

The position of the locking tab is an indication that whoever set the diff. up did the job properly. You set the diff unit at the c-wheel end to provide the clearance between crown wheel and pinion (5-7 thou.) and then you set the pre-load from the other end. If the holes in the setting sleeves don't line up, you angle, or even bend, the lock tab to suit.

Roger

the axle was covered in a nice layer of mud, grease and oil. :thumbdown:

spent a while cleaning the diff case with a wire brush and petrol.

P4240009.jpg

P4240010.jpg

cleaned the second pair of shafts up and compared them to my originals.

P4240011-1.jpg

the shafts are the same and have the same number of splines on both ends.

but the CV's are very slightly different. dont think it matters though.

P4240012.jpg

P4240013.jpg

Not turned out to bad then ben really as the price of the axle was the same as two new cvs. So you get the shafts and diff for free.

Result :thumbup:

Ps i thought the axle was quite clean :liar:

yeah thanks for helping me out mate. :clap: :thumbup:

All looking good Ben... just noticed the posts about the incident... well done for not getting dead fella :thumbup:

Sam said:
All looking good Ben... just noticed the posts about the incident... well done for not getting dead fella :thumbup:

thanks Sam. :thumbup:

no one has ever congratulated me for not getting killed before! :lol:

update time................................

quite an early start today, drove down to Rogers with the replacement diff.

Roger had picked up the new 50mm bearings to replace my smaller bearings, and had already pressed them onto the ARB locker. :clap:

P4250002.jpg

after the new crown wheel had been cleaned and carefully inspected, we soaked it in boiling water for a few minutes.

P4250003.jpg

after taking it out of the water and giving it a quick blast over with the air line, it fitted perfectly onto the locker.

P4250004.jpg

we fitted the locker in place and worked out exactly where the tapped hole for the air line needed to be.

P4250005.jpg

we removed the locker, and filled the diff with paper towel, and covered this in grease, this was to prevent swarf finding its way down inside the diff where the bearing is.

P4250006.jpg

P4250007.jpg

hole drilled.

P4250008.jpg

and tapped.

P4250009.jpg

we could then build the locker and diff back up and set the back lash and preload.

P4250010.jpg

P4250011.jpg

P4250012.jpg

all done.

P4250014.jpg

huge thanks to Roger for his help on this. :clap:

i could have sent it to Devon 4x4 to do it, but i doubt they would have been as thorough as Roger, and i doubt they would have spotted the crack in the crown wheel. :|

so i know the job has been done right, but more importantly ive learnt how its done, and next time i will have a go at doing it myself. :dance:

so just over an hour and i was home, and ready to start fitting it into the truck. :cool:

P4250017.jpg

it felt very heavy with the locker built into it.
it really was a struggle lifting it up into place lying down under the truck, trying to carefully fit it into place without damaging/knocking the copper air line on the diff.

but i managed it.

P4250018.jpg

then it started raining again. :thumbdown:

this must be the 15th day in a row now where it has been raining! :evil:

but.................i wasnt going to let the weather stop me from doing what i wanted to do! :snooty:

so out with a big tarp. :cool:

P4250020.jpg

bolted the front prop, and steering damper back on, and connected the air line up.

P4250021.jpg

P4250022.jpg

P4250023.jpg

shafts next.

P4250024.jpg

the oil seal needed changing on the drivers side.

P4250025.jpg

it took a bit of work to get the old one out.

P4250027.jpg

P4250026.jpg

shaft in.

P4250028.jpg

had to add a few props under the tarp as the middle was filling with water and starting to droop down.

P4250029.jpg

P4250030.jpg

P4250031.jpg

brake callipers back on.

P4250032.jpg

free wheeling hubs on.

P4250033.jpg

P4250034.jpg

starting to get dark by this point.

P4250035.jpg

squirted almost 2 litres of oil into the diff.

P4250036.jpg

front wheels back on and tarp removed. :dance:

P4250045.jpg

so finally after a 13hour day, the truck is back together and has a working front locker! :dance: :clap: :twisted: :thumbup:

no chance to test drive it tonight, but im planning on taking it some where tomorrow night. theres a lane that i cant normally get up with out winching, will be interesting to see if i can now do it with front and rear lockers. :twisted:

one thing i have noticed that im not very pleased about, is that the front locker wont function/work without the rear locker first being engaged. :doh:

so im going to have to work out how to modify the ARB wiring loom so that i can operate the front locker independently of the rear.

i just imagine there might be the very rare situation where being able to just lock the front axle might be beneficial. maybe trying to climb out of ruts, etc. :think:

:thumbup: My God Ben, do you ever find time to eat and sleep
dazed-7.gif
hats off to you mate :thumbup:

If you don't want to blow your CVs I would keep the wiring as it is. You should never engage the front diff unless the centre diff (if you have one) and rear diff locks are engaged. The rear axle is much stronger as there are no CVs therefore should always be locked first to ease load on the front axle when locked.

Ben.

Robs correct, it is standard practice to engage middle (if fitted) rear and lastly the front. This is how it's done on the 80 series and the G-Wagon.

Roger

:thumbup:

Well done to you both, Im sure your glad its back together.

Any other big mods planned ben or are you nearly there now?

Karl

Back