Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Did I mention it would be a bit heavier with the ARB in :lol: I thought you would change the pinion crush sleeve to a solid one while you were in there, they can be a bit of a weakness on a locking diff.

thanks Chas. :thumbup:

Rob, Roger,

i apreciate what your saying, but i think there might be the very rare situation, where being able to engage just the front might be useful. :think:

thanks Karl. :thumbup:

its getting there mate, but still a few more mods to do. these are the next few:-

removable steering wheel next, then gearbox/transfer-case guard, then roof rack, and then possibly an internal roll cage. but need to check whether the cage might prevent/effect me getting a road worthy certificate when i come to register it in OZ. :dance:

yes you did mention it John and you wernt wrong. :lol:

no didnt change the crush sleeve as didnt mess with the pinion. :oops:

I cannot think of a situation where you would want to only lock the front diff. Also I think that by having the option of locking the front diff on its own the likelihood of damage increases significantly as it can be locked without the rear accidentally. Jon can tell you what happens when you lock the wrong diffs by accident...

thanks Rob. :)

id value a few more opinions on this before i make a decision. :)

It might be one of those things that in theory would be good to have but in practice isn't worth the trouble?

thanks John, will see how i go with it over the next few months and then decided what to do. :thumbup:

got big problems with my truck. :(

i stupidly forgot to turn the glow plugs off this morning after starting the truck, and this in turn drained the batteries, aswell as blowing the fuse for the glow plugs. :thumbdown:

i tried jump starting it after work but couldnt get it going, so used a mains power charger/jumper to jump start it.

this worked well and it fired straight up. drove it home and left it running for half an hour for the batteries to charge a bit.

came out and checked on it and with a multimeter on the batteries they were showing 11.5volts and climbing, so i left it another 20mins.

came out and found nothing would work in the truck, no lights, temp gauge, stereo nothing.

put the multimeter on the batteries and it was only showing a few volts. :thumbdown:

ive just turned it off and connected the battery charger up as thought id leave it on charge overnight, and its coming up as having damaged batteries on the charger. :thumbdown:

not sure whether its the batteries or the alternator, or something else? :?

its just weird that it was working fine, then 20mins later it aint. :thumbdown:

batteries arnt that old and are deep cycle leisure batteries.

any ideas? :? :( :thumbdown:

time for a beer i think...................... :angry-banghead:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Disconnect the battery from the car and then see what it says but it sounds like you might have a/some dead cells. Deep cycle batteries can still be killed if they are discharged too much or too fast :(

[strike:16mcrnwl]Fickle things batteries Ben - make sure it's disconnected and give it a charge. Dead cells are like quantum matter - they can just appear from nowhere![/strike:16mcrnwl]

Edit :: What Jon Said - beat me to it :lol:

there both showing 10.6volts and rising.

disconnected the batteries and charger and there still showing 10+ volts. :think:

i dont really trust the battery charger, so will leave it to charge both batteries overnight.

surely with the engine running, i should be getting 14ish volts to the batteries from the alternator?

im worried ive blown the alternator by jumping it off this 240v charger/booster thing i used. :(

anyway of testing the alternator? :)

Wow Ben loads of work done there m8 :clap: :mrgreen:

That's another job ticked off the list, soon there'll be nowt left to do :!: then what will you do :?: :)

charging installed batteries by leaving the truck idling would take hours as your alternator output only reaches max with some revs on. Check this by putting your voltmeter on the battery at idle and you will probably measure something in the region of 12.5v but get someone to rev the engine a bit and it will climb to 13.5v or higher. (figures might be off but the difference will be there)

Does sound like you have a dead cell as a result of your massive discharge from the glow plugs. Be carefull leaving a possibly faulty flooded battery on charge overnight unattended unless maybe it is in a remote building that you don't mind burning down... :( . I certainly wouldn't leave it charging in my house.

Mark

Assuming no other big loads are switched on then it could be the alternator draining the batteries rather than charging them. With the engine running and no big loads switched on you'd expect to see between 13.4 and 14.4 volts depending on the state of the batteries with 13.4 being for charged batteries and 14.4 for discharged. An alternator isn't usually very good at recharging a flat battery and is soon fooled into thinking the battery is charged and drops the voltage down to the float charge voltage so always best to stick an intelligent charger on batteries that have been run flat to fill them back up again properly :)

sae70 said:
Wow Ben loads of work done there m8 :clap: :mrgreen:

That's another job ticked off the list, soon there'll be nowt left to do :!: then what will you do :?: :)

thanks Steven. :thumbup:

still got a fair few mods to do. :dance:

im hoping by the time ive done all the mods i will have my visa to permanently emigrate and then i can get out there and start living my dream! :pray: :cool:

after last night trip out, and the damaged bodywork from a tree, i want to make some side bars, to go from the rock sliders to bull bar. :twisted:

arbsidebars.jpg

arbsidebars2.jpg

Mark N said:
charging installed batteries by leaving the truck idling would take hours as your alternator output only reaches max with some revs on. Check this by putting your voltmeter on the battery at idle and you will probably measure something in the region of 12.5v but get someone to rev the engine a bit and it will climb to 13.5v or higher. (figures might be off but the difference will be there)

Does sound like you have a dead cell as a result of your massive discharge from the glow plugs. Be carefull leaving a possibly faulty flooded battery on charge overnight unattended unless maybe it is in a remote building that you don't mind burning down... :( . I certainly wouldn't leave it charging in my house.

Mark

interesting. :think:

i did wonder how long it would take to charge the batteries, but like i say after 30mins the batteries were reading 11.5volts, so they did seem to be charging. :?

the battery charger is no longer saying the batteries are faulty, and ive got 10+ volts in them, but still not enough power to operate anything. :thumbdown:

i dont know, hopefully by the morning they will be charged and then i can try and find out if the alternator is ok. :pray:

ive been really looking forward to sundays laning trip, might have to take my mates hi-lux instead. really wanted to take mine though. :x

Edit. John i didnt know that, and i hope thats all thats happened. :pray: :thumbup:

Jon Wildsmith said:
so always best to stick an intelligent charger on batteries that have been run flat to fill them back up again properly :)
Speaking of intelligent chargers Jon, what's a reasonable one to buy :think: I think this may have been asked before :oops:

so.......................i finished work yesterday, picked my mate up and headed for the Shropshire/Powys border. :cool:

P4260001.jpg

couldnt pass by Craven Arms without driving the 2 lanes with the river crossings.

P4260002.jpg

P4260003.jpg

P4260004.jpg

P4260006.jpg

one more ford on route to what is the most challenging lane ive ever found.

P4260007.jpg

P4260008.jpg

and so onto the lane that i had come for. :violin:

very overgrown at the top end.

P4260009.jpg

P4260010.jpg

P4260012.jpg

soon we were dropping down into the woods and sliding all over the place on the wet clay.

P4260013.jpg

sever side slope, 3 weeks worth of rain and clay arnt a good combination for traction. :?

P4260015.jpg

waffles helped a bit.

P4260016.jpg

for every foot forwards i was sliding 2 foot sideways towards the trees. :shock:

P4260017.jpg

only one thing for it.

recovery drawer open.

P4260018.jpg

needed to winch forwards down the track/hill but also sideways away from the trees and big drop.

P4260019.jpg

2 snatch blocks work so well for this! :cool:

P4260020.jpg

this became a common view out of the passenger window coming down this lane, trees inches some times mm off my bodywork. :shock:

P4260021.jpg

and winched sideways and forwards around the tree perfectly. :clap:

P4260023.jpg

P4260024.jpg

P4260025.jpg

P4260026.jpg

all lockers engaged.

P4260027.jpg

P4260028.jpg

P4260029.jpg

we were almost down when i slid into a tree. :(

P4260031.jpg

by this time it was getting dark, was raining and we were both pretty tired as it was getting late.

managed to rig up another double snatch block pull to pull the truck forwards and sideways at the same time.

P4260033.jpg

the original intention was to drive down the lane, and then turn around and have a go at going back up using the lockers. but it had taken us 2 hours just to get down, and the 3 weeks of constant rain had made the clay surface difficult to stand up on, let alone drive on.

will have to come back when weve got more time and light, and hopefully after weve had some dry weather. :thumbup:

made a start knocking the dent out of the passenger door this morning. :)

Cossack said:
Jon Wildsmith said:
so always best to stick an intelligent charger on batteries that have been run flat to fill them back up again properly :)
Speaking of intelligent chargers Jon, what's a reasonable one to buy :think: I think this may have been asked before :oops:

ive been looking at chargers tonight, as mine stopped working a few months ago. borrowing my neighbours atm.

this is the one im thinking of buying. :think:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330689827969? ... _993wt_698

what tire pressures you running? - looks like you could drop them on the slippy stuff?

Cossack said:
There was a thread about it somewhere I'm sure but I don't know what's available at the moment.

Ben said:
I think you will find 6 amp a bit under powered especially for dual batteries, 20amps or higher would be more like it IMO.

Some nice work there Ben, been following your front axle stuff closely as Ill be rebuilding both swivels on mine shortly after Lincomb (as well as doing the cam belt and injectors). Im on holiday in Florida (Lovely sunshine and 30*C! :p) and Ive just received my trunnion bearing eliminator kit and a few other gooddies from Trail Gear to bring back with me. :D

Keep us posted on the battery/charging/alternator issue as I seem to have a similar issue ie: 2 fairly new batteries not holding charge/not charging properly from the alternator. Ive found that even with a sufficiently rated smart charger the batteries charge better separately and dissconnected from the vehicle.

Back