Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

was an awesome weekend! :dance:

drove some amazing lanes, some of which i dont think many people bother with as there now dead ends. :cool:

going to go and start the repairs now! :whistle:

wheres the photos!

none on bits4vits blog yet either - just a teaser saying = *** LATEST - Back from the Lake District - eventually! (long story!) Blog up Soon!... :)

:roll: :doh:

AndyCook said:
wheres the photos!

none on bits4vits blog yet either - just a teaser saying = *** LATEST - Back from the Lake District - eventually! (long story!) Blog up Soon!... :)

:roll: :doh:

Dave didnt get back home until 1:20am .... on a flat bed truck, it'll be in the blog, which should be ready tonight!

Dont forget that Dave gets up every day at 5:30am to open up his shop/Post-Office and closes the shop at 9pm.

if i get chance tonight i will stick some pics up. ;)

got quite a lot of paper work to sort out tonight for my visa application.

ive got a visa agent in Melbourne preparing everything for my application for state sponsorship. they want a lot of information and want a lot of questions answering.

apparently one of the harder states to get into, but im sure it will all be worth it. :cool:

im hoping ive got 5 months work left in the UK, and i want to save another 10k, so need to get some overtime in and stop spending so much on my truck and trips out. :thumbdown:

excellent report, photos and videos

sorry to see the damage to hilux and hubs...

note you drove parkamoor, i didnt have time to do that one

and pleased to see you struggled on the sadgill section - it is a bugger
and it was slightly damper for you guys
my truck was a lot heavier with camping gear, RTT etc so i never went for it like you guys did :o as didnt want to damage anything
still not sure i will do that one again, well certainly not solo!

that ellterwater lane was good too - your last lane of trip - you guys did it opposite direction to me, doing the narrow bridges first,
lots of tippy rock slabs ;)

cheers for sharing! :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
PS interesting to see what Breasthigh repair work looks like
mixed reactions to that - no challenge really anymore by looks of things, but better to be repaired and opened than closed permantly ;)

AndyCook said:
excellent report, photos and videos

sorry to see the damage to hilux and hubs...

note you drove parkamoor, i didnt have time to do that one

and pleased to see you struggled on the sadgill section - it is a bugger
and it was slightly damper for you guys
my truck was a lot heavier with camping gear, RTT etc so i never went for it like you guys did :o as didnt want to damage anything
still not sure i will do that one again, well certainly not solo!

that ellterwater lane was good too - your last lane of trip - you guys did it opposite direction to me, doing the narrow bridges first,
lots of tippy rock slabs ;)

cheers for sharing! :thumbup:

on Sadgill i told the guys what you had said in the thread about your trip, that the best line was not to go right, next to the wall. but to go left.

me and 2 of the others then struggled a little bit to get up, and then Maverick went far right and surprised us all by driving straight up! :o

so maybe SWB vehicles are better going far rightt? :think:

this is me struggling.

[youtube:4ukq16yz]yci0ybmkSSU[/youtube:4ukq16yz]

[youtube:4ukq16yz]gdsxGCmJbko[/youtube:4ukq16yz]

[youtube:4ukq16yz]Xkss-cNwwzo[/youtube:4ukq16yz]

Maverick said:
Roger Fairclough said:
What happened to the digger?

Roger

what digger?

There used to be an abandoned JCB style tracked digger on the Breasthigh Road, just to the east of the summit. If you Google earth the track, you will find a photo of it.

Roger

i didnt see a digger last year up there

I tried the line by wall first Ben and attempted it about 4 times, failed each time, so tried the otherside on left and got up on 2nd go

it was Mike54 who said:
"The "right" line is on the left, even though it looks like it's right. If you go right the front kicks up and if you have too much gas you hit the wall (hence the repair in the image due to loads of people doing that)"
and that SWB would struggle.

so maybe the wheelbase does affect what time you try, and whether or not you get "stoppers" at just the wrong place on a wheel :think:

didnt take many pics of the weekend. :o :shock: :lol:

camera's been playing up. :cry:

these are my favourites from Daves trip report. :cool:

DSC03804.jpg

DSC04860.jpg

DSC04866.jpg

DSC04887.jpg

DSC04924.jpg

DSC04925.jpg

DSC04926.jpg

DSC04974.jpg

DSC04987.jpg

DSC05000.jpg

DSC05005.jpg

so i needed to do a few repairs after the trip to the lakes. :)

one thing that had become a problem, was after fitting the spare 35" tyre, (which actually measures a true 35") was that because the wheels have got so much off set, and the tyres are so big, they were catching on the off side rock slider. :thumbdown:

SAM_0505.jpg

got it jacked up.

SAM_0506.jpg

SAM_0507.jpg

and at full droop its clear to see it catching badly. :(

SAM_0508.jpg

SAM_0509.jpg

out with the 9" grinder with thin inox disc.

SAM_0510.jpg

marked up.

SAM_0511.jpg

and cut the end off.

SAM_0512.jpg

SAM_0513.jpg

SAM_0514.jpg

borrowed an old mig welder off my mate, complete with bottle of CO2 pub gas. :roll:

SAM_0515.jpg

the welder did the job, but it was difficult to get a good flow with the welder, so ended up doing lots of spot welds.

SAM_0516.jpg

i think ive found some where that sells full size bottles of argon welding gas, without the con that is the contract/bottle rental that BOC and Air products charge! :thumbdown:

hoping to go halves with my mate, and then i can make my roof rack! :dance:

got some paint on it.

SAM_0517.jpg

SAM_0518.jpg

bumper took a scrape on the stupidly tight lane, with the railway sign on the gate. :roll:

SAM_0519.jpg

SAM_0520.jpg

quick lick of paint.

SAM_0521.jpg

went to open the rear door on one of the lanes and the wind took it and threw it open, smashing one of my back lights. :cry:

the reason was the pin had some how come lose and got lost.

SAM_0523.jpg

SAM_0524.jpg

SAM_0525.jpg

SAM_0526.jpg

luckily i had a spare light for that side.

SAM_0527.jpg

so after replacing the missing pin with a bolt and lock nut, i fitted a new light.

SAM_0530.jpg

my wheel/tyre took one hell of a hit when a rock jumped out in front of me. :cry:

SAM_0531.jpg

it was bent worse than in the pic, the first thing i did after it had happened was get a hammer and start hammering the rim back to prevent the tyre from going flat. then i realised id put a hole in the tyre aswell. :thumbdown:

SAM_0532.jpg

took the core out of the valve.

SAM_0533.jpg

used the high lift to break the bead on the tyre.

SAM_0534.jpg

SAM_0535.jpg

SAM_0536.jpg

few hits with the BFH and the wheel looked a lot straighter.

SAM_0537.jpg

hoping to get the tyre fixed tomorrow. need to see if my local agricultural tyre place will vulcanize the hole in the side wall for me. :pray:

Legally you would have the problem that side wall repairs are not allowed, therefore a tyre with a damaged side wall is illegal. Bit of a catch 22.

Plus it is not good practice to use a tube in a tubeless tyre.

Roger

Roger, I have side walls repaired before without problems. No one has ever told me that it was not legal. I will ask a tyre fitter friend.

Paul

Back