Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

The FSM says to use a torque meter/gauge to check the pinion preload.

So i went to a really good tool shop today but they didnt have one and after looking through catalogues from Beta, Sealey, Draper, Teng and a few others we couldnt find one at all, only torque wrench's. :?

Got home at 6pm and spent the next 3 hours straight working on the diff.

Looking at the pinion in the old diff, it didnt look like it had been ground to clear the ARB locker.

But i decided i wasnt going to risk putting it back together, without grinding the new one just incase.

So i ground the new one as per the ARB instructions, and then re-built the diff and got the ring gear back lash and bearing preload to the exact figures the FSM said.

All the bearings felt perfect, no noises or excessive movement at all.

So refitted the diff, half shafts back in, bled the brakes, wheels back on, filled the diff back up with oil and took it for an hour long test drive.

After 5miles it felt warm, and i prayed it would stay that way, but 10miles later and it was hot! :cry:

I drove around for another 30miles and checked again and still hot. not sure of exact temp, i can just hold my hand on it, any hotter and it would burn me. :thumbdown:

Getting pissed off with it now! :evil:

Mike, by adjustment collars, do you mean the 2 round discs that are threaded on the outside and have a series of holes in them, that tighten against the bearings?

I made a simple tool to turn them, basically i piece of flat bar with 2 bolts coming through it, which fit into the holes.

FSM didnt mention a torque setting for them. :?

No i never tried turning it when it was hot.

Yes tightened the bolts for the crown wheel up in the right sequence, and its not noisy at all. :think:

15 hour working day today, and got to be in work at 6.30am tomorrow, so no pics tonight of what ive been doing on the diff. :thumbdown:

Stuck for words.

You must be really fed up with it now.

Sorry

Gra

Yes Gra I am. :x

terrible night sleep aswell. :thumbdown:

oh well.......................at least its Friday tomorrow! :dance:

Ben said:
I feel a bit better about my diff situation now! :D
Is yours a 70 aswell? :think:

no i have a hilux (i have the same diff's, other then mine are 5.29s), i only came on here after seeing your cruiser on bits4vits blog :lol:

for pinion preload i use a park tools tw-1 got mine from a push bike shop :thumbup:

i reckon your diff's alright, if you can hold your hand on it it's ok. like i said mine gets fairly hot and it's been in for 8000 miles of hard use.

:thumbup:

that looks very similar to the one in the FSM. :clap:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Park-Tool-TW1 ... 466wt_1199

been driving round in it tonight, and i can just about hold my hand on it after doing 70mph. :)

been busy sorting my camping gear out tonight, removed the passenger seat and fitted my bed, and stuck 70litres of veg oil in the tank!

Almost ready now for 3 days of laning and wild camping! :dance: :twisted:

Ben, Park are decent tools. I have used them for years fixing bikes
Good work on sorting the the diff :clap:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I bought this the other week to do the pinion preload when I replaced the rear diff front oil seal (was just about to set out to do it and thought Id quickly check the FSM then realised that when I did the front a few years back I borrowed my dads torque meter wrench, problem was he lives in London!).

Ben, when I bought & fitted the diffs I got off Jon for Muxley, we went to the Lakes not long afterwards & we drove vay carefully checking the diffs for heat buildup every service station. They got warm but nowhere near as hot as you are suggesting :o

Its been a while since then but it was all about bedding the bearings in & whether they were too tight IIRC from what JW was telling us... He'd had a similar thing on a set of diffs he'd built for his own truck one time & it took a while for them to bed in... 'Fraid I'm not too sure which/what/where the bearings are or how they were too tight but they did bed in over the weekend with me driving like an OAP...

Not a great deal of help I'm afraid but t'is somewhat along the lines that KW alluded to in an earlier post...

OMG

Gav your allive :shock:

I remember going under muz at those services mate and they did feel a tad toasty to me. Hopefully bens diff is all ok now. Hope so,i know what its like to do a job over and over and still have the same issues.

thanks guys. :thumbup:

i will keep an eye on it over the weekend, and will take some oil with me and check the level each morning. :)

just hope its ok and doesnt result in catastrophic failure! :pray:

no way im missing out on a weekend away laning with my mates! :dance:

karl webster said:
Gav your allive :shock:
Am hanging on in there dude :lol:

Yes, they were toastie after motorway miles weren't they but once we got onto slower roads they tended to stay cooler IIRC so maybe just take your time getting there & back Ben... We were stopping for 15-20 mins at each service station to let them cool down on the way up to the Lakes...

Looking forward to the next writeup already Ben :cool:

have a good weekend laning

Ive got Park tools for my mountain bike - i must get one of those torque wrenchs, since some bolts only need 5 Nm for allen bolts on stems etc

Park tools are the "snap on" of the push bike world!

thanks guys. :thumbup:

finally home from my trip to Wales. :violin:

stopped and checked it after 30miles of driving it at 50mph, and it was warm but not hot, that was Friday night.

Checked it a few times over the weekend and it did feel hot at times, certainly hotter than the other toyota and 2 landys in the group. :?

diff has got to come back out again though, as the locker isnt working. :cry:

Friday night I left my house at 7PM and drove to Llandovery, where i met Mog, who was in his disco.

We set off to drive a lane, looking for some where to camp. On route i noticed both my temperature gauges going up and my engine getting hot. :shock: :thumbdown:

After pulling over to check it was clear my rad was damaged and water was p155ing out! :cry:

We let it cool down and I poured 5 litres of water into the rad, and managed to drive it another mile or so to our camp spot.

An hour later and the other 2 arrived. Steven in his LC90 and Giles in his LR90 :D

We stood around chatting and drinking beer till the early hours and then got some sleep.

The next day i was up at 6.30AM raring to go! :twisted:

IMG_3887.jpg

didnt want to cook in the rain, so i stuck a tarp over the back.

IMG_3888.jpg

not much room, but i managed.

IMG_3890.jpg

IMG_3891.jpg

IMG_3892.jpg

IMG_3893.jpg

after my breakfast of sausage and egg sandwiches, it was time to fix my truck! :cool:

Decided to take the stat out and run without it. And borrowed some K seal off Steven to hopefully fix the leaking rad. :pray:

IMG_3894.jpg

Stuck the K seal in and run the engine for 20mins. It got up to temp but the K seal wouldnt stop water from squirting out of the rad. :thumbdown:

So the next option was epoxy repair stick. i cut some off, needed it together to mix the 2 parts, and pushed it into the core of the rad where the hole was.

30mins later after packing all the gear up, i fired her up and the leak was fixed! :clap: :dance:

At this point i discovered my rear locker wasnt engaging. :thumbdown:

So i disconnected the wires going to the rear locker solenoid. This enabled me to use the front locker on its own, as usually it cant be engaged without the rear one being engaged first. :)

we then drove out of the forest.

IMG_3895.jpg

And stopped in Llandovery, to air down the tyres, and so i could buy some rad weld.

IMG_3896.jpg

So my cruiser. :cool:

IMG_3897.jpg

Steven's cruiser.

IMG_3898.jpg

Mog's disco.

IMG_3899.jpg

And Giles's LR 90.

IMG_3900.jpg

And onto the first lane of the day.

IMG_3901.jpg

IMG_3902.jpg

A nice steep rocky climb.

IMG_3903.jpg

IMG_3904.jpg

IMG_3906.jpg

And up to the top of the mountain, where according to the map, theres remains of a roman fortification.

IMG_3907.jpg

Amazing view.

IMG_3908.jpg

IMG_3909.jpg

IMG_3910.jpg

IMG_3911.jpg

IMG_3913.jpg

And along the Roman road.

IMG_3914.jpg

IMG_3915.jpg

IMG_3916.jpg

IMG_3917.jpg

lovely view over towards the Black Mountains.

IMG_3918.jpg

IMG_3919.jpg

End of the lane, and back on the tarmac.

IMG_3920.jpg

Next lane is one of my favourites! :dance:

very tight and overgrown at the top.

IMG_3921.jpg

pics dont really do this lane justice for how steep and rocky it is. :thumbdown:

IMG_3923.jpg

IMG_3925.jpg

IMG_3926.jpg

very overgrown and scratchy at the bottom.

IMG_3927.jpg

IMG_3928.jpg

We turned around at the bottom and went back up. :twisted:

IMG_3930.jpg

IMG_3935.jpg

IMG_3937.jpg

IMG_3938.jpg

And back on the tarmac. :)

IMG_3940.jpg

I struggled a bit getting up, but once i engaged the front locker she shot straight up! :twisted:

IMG_3941.jpg

Slight bit of cosmetic damage on Steven's truck. :thumbdown:

IMG_3942.jpg

IMG_3943.jpg

He decided to unbolt the mud flap that was now hanging off, to prevent it getting ripped off and lost.

IMG_3944.jpg

We were soon on our way to the next lane.

IMG_3945.jpg

Quite overgrown.

IMG_3946.jpg

nice little ford.

IMG_3948.jpg

IMG_3950.jpg

IMG_3951.jpg

IMG_3952.jpg

IMG_3954.jpg

IMG_3955.jpg

IMG_3956.jpg

We saw a pair of red kites, gliding around, possibly hunting? :think:

I tried and failed to get a pic of them though. :thumbdown:

IMG_3957.jpg

IMG_3958.jpg

IMG_3959.jpg

IMG_3962.jpg

IMG_3963.jpg

IMG_3965.jpg

IMG_3966.jpg

back on the tarmac.

IMG_3967.jpg

We were now heading West to an area non of us had lane'd in before. It was an area id been told we could find some challenging lanes. :dance:

IMG_3969.jpg

IMG_3970.jpg

IMG_3971.jpg

IMG_3972.jpg

IMG_3973.jpg

IMG_3974.jpg

IMG_3975.jpg

This next lane was amazing!! :clap:

IMG_3976.jpg

round a series of sharp switchbacks, and past a waterfall.

IMG_3977.jpg

IMG_3978.jpg

IMG_3979.jpg

IMG_3980.jpg

IMG_3981.jpg

We came to a sharp right uphill turn, and both Gile's and Steven needed a shunt to make the turn.

I took a different line, hoping to do it in 1 turn, but didnt spot a big washed out hole at the base of the climb. :oops:

I turned the steering wheel, put the throttle down and suddenly the near side front wheel shot up off the ground, and the truck was starting to tip over. :shock:

It all happened very quickly and it threw me a bit as i wasnt expecting it. :roll:

I was immediately in shock, as to why it hadnt tipped over, as it felt like i had gone way past the normal point at which it feels like it will go. :shock:

So i sat that, and it felt so unsafe that i was scared to move an inch, i was worried that if i even moved slightly, it might go over.

So a quick shout over the cb and Giles was running down the hill, and was up on the near side corner of the bumper, trying to stabilise the truck. :cool:

Before Giles was on the bumper, the near side wheel was at least another foot or so higher off the ground. :o

IMG_3982.jpg

IMG_3983.jpg

Mog came and got on the near side rock slider, and with the 2 of them weighting the front down i engaged the front locker and slowly crawled up. :clap:

IMG_3984.jpg

IMG_3985.jpg

IMG_3988.jpg

IMG_3989.jpg

IMG_3990.jpg

IMG_3991.jpg

The next lane turned out to be equally as good as the last one. :dance:

nice little ford at the start.

IMG_3992.jpg

IMG_3993.jpg

IMG_3994.jpg

IMG_3995.jpg

Steven managed to get himself delayed slightly in a large bomb hole in the middle of the lane.

IMG_3997.jpg

IMG_3998.jpg

IMG_3999.jpg

A quick snatch later from the landy

IMG_4001.jpg

And he was free.

IMG_4002.jpg

Very steep drop down the next section.

IMG_4003.jpg

IMG_4004.jpg

IMG_4005.jpg

And out onto open farmland.

IMG_4006.jpg

A few road miles next, and we were at the youth hostel on the way to Soar Mynd.

IMG_4007.jpg

IMG_4008.jpg

IMG_4009.jpg

I hadnt driven this lane for a few years, and id forgotten what a nice lane it is. :clap:

IMG_4010.jpg

IMG_4011.jpg

A few tarmac miles from Soar Mynd, and we were on Strata.

IMG_4013.jpg

IMG_4014.jpg

IMG_4015.jpg

IMG_4028.jpg

IMG_4029.jpg

IMG_4030.jpg

IMG_4032.jpg

IMG_4033.jpg

IMG_4034.jpg

We soon arrived at my favourite wild camp spot on Strata. :D

Giles then said he would go and get some fire wood, and came back with a tree! :o :lol:

IMG_4035.jpg

We soon had the tarp set up. :cool:

IMG_4036.jpg

And the pig lit! :D

IMG_4037.jpg

We then cooked dinner, and drank plenty of beer till the early hours. It was a cold wet night, but we were lovely and dry and warm under the tarp with the log burner kicking out loads of heat!! :clap:

IMG_4038.jpg

IMG_4040.jpg

Giles got his chopper out! :p

and cut up the fire wood.

IMG_4043.jpg

And the pig burnt all night! :twisted:

IMG_4044.jpg

So that was day 1, and what a bloody awesome day it was! :clap:

Drove some great lanes, with some great mates, and had a great night with plenty of cold beers! :violin:

But wait till you see what happens on day 2! :whistle:

looking like a good weekend (except for rad issue) so far...
look forward to part2

LOL :D What a crack of a weekend, still smiling :mrgreen:

Got home @ 6:45ish but been telling the children of the tales of the weekend and showing them the pics before putting them all to bed. I now need a good long shower, dinner and a JD :D :D :D

Did just on 750miles this weekend, wish I'd been using Veg oil :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ben, just one thing to say m8 :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :D :D What a cracker :cool:

Great lanes, and good story line, with the usual excellent pictures.
SF looked especially wet and deep !
So how did the rad. spring a leak? just a happening?
That episode with the front sky high looks interesting to say the least.
Was it really close to falling back on itself, as shown?
Looks quite scary.

Gra.

Back