Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

ben said:
ben said:
Graham Sykes have come back with a much better price than i was expecting. :D

£1235 fully comp. :think:

i didnt want to pay over a grand, and ive just spent 2 hours cleaning my truck as i didnt think it would be on the road for a while.im going to have to give this some thought. :think:
Roger Fairclough said:
Are you being quoted for fully comp. or third party Ben?Roger
;) going to call them back and see if they will do it cheaper if i go third party fire and theft. :)
I don't know how on earth they work these things out, but a couple of the companies I rang were cheaper fully comp than TP&F :confusion-confused:

ben said:
just called them back, and by adjusting the policy to third party fire and theft, from fully comp, it dropped it down to.....................

£783!!!! :dance: :banana-wrench: :banana-tux: :banana-stoner: :banana-skier: :banana-rock: :banana-guitar: :banana-jumprope: :character-beavisbutthead:
RESULT Ben :thumbup: :thumbup: I might well be ringing them sooner than I thought :think:

ben said:
just called them back, and by adjusting the policy to third party fire and theft, from fully comp, it dropped it down to......................
£783!!!! :dance: :banana-wrench: :banana-tux: :banana-stoner: :banana-skier: :banana-rock: :banana-guitar: :banana-jumprope: :character-beavisbutthead:
Great news buddy - see you on the trails soon!!!

Awesome news, glad she'll still be on the road. :thumbup:

I wont tell you how much my insurance with them was or youll say I deserve a broken diff! :oops:

thanks guys, im made up! :clap: :dance:

ModelMakerMan said:
Awesome news, glad she'll still be on the road. :thumbup:

I wont tell you how much my insurance with them was or youll say I deserve a broken diff! :oops:

thanks for recommending them to me. id never even heard of them before. :clap:

how did you hear about them?

sorry to hear about your diff. i wonder what has caused it. did the oil look ok when you drained it? :think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thats great news Ben, particularily with your dreadful driving history...... :lol:

With the exhaust - does it have to come out the back - could you not reshape the inner arch and have it venting into the arch, so it doesnt go above the tyre at all.

Cheers

Pete

I live in the wrong country, I was thinking how cheap £1235 was.
Everythings relative I suppose.

Glad you got sorted, I really enjoy reading your thread.

wobbly said:
Thats great news Ben, particularily with your dreadful driving history...... :lol:

With the exhaust - does it have to come out the back - could you not reshape the inner arch and have it venting into the arch, so it doesnt go above the tyre at all.

Cheers

Pete

thanks Pete, i think. :? :lol:

that is an option, but i do really like the exhaust coming through the bumper. :think:

Derek J said:
I live in the wrong country, I was thinking how cheap £1235 was.
Everythings relative I suppose.

Glad you got sorted, I really enjoy reading your thread.

thanks Derek, and glad you enjoy it. :thumbup:

Glad you finally got the insurance issue sorted Ben, would have been a shame if you left the truck on the drive for a year

Rob said:
would have been a shame if you left the truck on the drive for a year
Tell me about it :roll:

Sorry Chas, did not have you in mind when I wrote this :cry:

ben said:

sorry to hear about your diff. i wonder what has caused it. did the oil look ok when you drained it? :think:

No problem, I got a brilliant deal from them so thought they would be worth a go for you, I saw an advert for them in Total Off Road (soon to be Total 4x4).

Im not sure what caused my diff to disintegrate but the oil looked ok when I drained it (apart from the bits of metal of course), it was slightly murky brown but its always been like that because of the LSD friction plates, definitely no water in there. We shall see what the damage is on Saturday but Im now pretty sure its the pinion that has stripped so need to find a replacement but Im not sure where is best to get a ring and pinion? I really couldnt have happened at a worse time what with my other car having no wheels at the minute and the prospect of snow tomorrow. :thumbdown:

Rob said:
Glad you finally got the insurance issue sorted Ben, would have been a shame if you left the truck on the drive for a year

thanks mate. :thumbup:

would have been a huge shame, and id have missed driving it terribly. :?

ModelMakerMan said:
ben said:

No problem, I got a brilliant deal from them so thought they would be worth a go for you, I saw an advert for them in Total Off Road (soon to be Total 4x4).

Im not sure what caused my diff to disintegrate but the oil looked ok when I drained it (apart from the bits of metal of course), it was slightly murky brown but its always been like that because of the LSD friction plates, definitely no water in there. We shall see what the damage is on Saturday but Im now pretty sure its the pinion that has stripped so need to find a replacement but Im not sure where is best to get a ring and pinion? I really couldnt have happened at a worse time what with my other car having no wheels at the minute and the prospect of snow tomorrow. :thumbdown:

sorry to hear that mate. :thumbdown:

maybe a scrap yard for a second hand one, or try Karl. failing that perhaps import a ring and pinion set from the states. :think:

i hate to think what mr toyota would be. but always worth getting a price, as i have found some things i imagine to be very expensive, end up being almost reasonable. :thumbup:

gave my truck a really good clean yesterday.

PC150001-1.jpg

PC150002-1.jpg

since i bought the truck, the battery clamps have never been right, as they had obviously been bodged by a previous owner, and were in fact too big for the batteries that have been on the truck, so the previous owner had wrapped pieces of lead around the terminals. :thumbdown:

i also had a big of an electrical malfunction last weekend with my winch, where by my solenoids jammed on, and the only way to stop the winch from turning was to pull the clamps off the batteries. :roll:

PC150003-1.jpg

PC150004-1.jpg

PC150005-1.jpg

new terminals.

PC150007-1.jpg

got the 2 positive ones fitted last night, but it was getting too cold, so i called it a night. just need to fit the 2 negative ones next. then look at fixing my winch. think i need to buy some albright solenoids for it.

my new front shock poly bushes arrived yesterday aswell, so need to get them fitted soon.

PC150008-1.jpg

PC150009-1.jpg

Ben.

Your battery hold down straps are designed for a flat topped battery. The two angle pieces should fit snugly against the battery edges. Your's don't, so the clamps will try to bend and the clamping pressure will be reduced. You could try re-fitting the angle brackets.

Your new battery clamps are standard screw down cable clamp type and will reduce your amperage flow and increase the chance of corrosion at the joint. Vehicle wiring products do a better range of clamps. The screws alone system needs to be soldered to make a decent enough joint. Prepare the cable by stripping away the outer covering. Lightly clamp in a vice. Place a water soaked kitchen washing up sponge over the cable. Slot clamp into position and solder. The water in the sponge will act as a heat soak and prevent heat from damaging the insulation on the cable.

Roger

Another point.

For safety, add in to the winch electrical circuit a cut-out switch that operates onto the solenoid earth wire. You then only need to operate the switch to activate the solenoid pack.

Roger

Ben.

As a matter of interest, what was the original quoted price for the exhaust and what did you end up paying?

Roger

thanks Roger.

i did have a winch cut off switch. but my winch wouldnt work last week, and on closer inspection, the cut off switch must have touched the intercooler, earthed out and burnt out the switch. :doh:

ive ordered a new switch, but its going to be another 10 days as its coming from Hong Kong.

the original quote price for the exhaust was £435, and i ended up paying £550. :thumbdown:

i wish i hadnt taken it there now, they were complete cowboys! :roll:

Back