Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Thats a tough break Ben.

I suspect that the underlying problem is that the LJ series of trucks are 'light duty' - if you look at what the others are driving they look to be heavier bits of kit, which is what I think you may need to undertake the sort of trips you have in mind.

I can see stuff breaking being a regular thing if you stick with the LJ, I reckon you'll get sick of it yourself soon enough, never mind the other guys.

Cheers

Pete

:eusa-shhh: Pssssst.... go 80, Ben....:eusa-shhh: 80 :eusa-shhh: 80 :eusa-shhh: 80 :think:

Hang on a second Roger... I made no assumptions of what your were doing at 26, but I'd hazard a guess that you had made many mistakes, and continued to do so throughout your life!

We all learn from experience.... funnily enough even you !

Thanks guys (most of you.) :thumbup:

The diff failure was down to me not fitting it correctly all those months ago. I had all the instructions and factory service manuals and took my time doing it. But I obviously got it wrong. :oops:

Shit happens! :icon-rolleyes:

It gave no indication it was going to go bang, and anyone on the trip would agree that I was driving carefully, certainly slower than some of the others.

The UJ was the only one on the whole truck not to have a grease nipple, so I couldnt regularly fill it with grease like I do with all the others.

I appreciated the guys helping me out, and they all know I would do the same, and will when the time comes.

I try to keep my vehicle in tip top mechanical condition, but some time unforeseen problems arise thats life!

We all know the light duty 70's we got in the UK and Europe are sold as light duty vehicles, but this is only because there designed for carrying people and not heavy loads.

Im buying a brand new ring and pinion from Marks 4wd adapters and will be getting it professionally built up with the air locker.

Not having much luck sourcing the air actuator that got broken. I need to try and find a Bundera one, or ask Karl send me one. I'm also going to look into getting it TIG welded.

Managed to find a new front prop for $30, just got to drive to Geelng to get it.

Soon have her fixed! :icon-smile:

Last edited:
Hang on a second Roger... I made no assumptions of what your were doing at 26, but I'd hazard a guess that you had made many mistakes, and continued to do so throughout your life!

We all learn from experience.... funnily enough even you !

Of course I made mistakes but I learnt from them. Bens problem is that he keep on making the same ones. Yes, that sounds brutal but if you read his build thread you will see how often he has to re-build this and that.

Do it once, do it right.

Mention has been made concerning his 37" tyres and yes they will create problems of gearing, stability poor braking and excess loading. It's also noticeable that with them fitted he has inadequate tyre to body clearance and this restricts articulation. You modify to gain something you need and you need to look at all the problems that will be associated with that mod. Why fit 37" tyres when you restrict articulation? All you gain is unreliability. Look at what you want to do and modify accordingly.

If you want to help Ben then be constructive about his problems and make suggestions about how to overcome them.

Roger

Last edited:
If you want to help Ben then be constructive about his problems and make suggestions about how to overcome them.

Roger

Agreed, but your posts tend to be scathing criticism. Ben's a young man, let him make mistakes. His direct experiences will be far more instructive, than you chiding him about how stupid he is/was and how daft his ideas are.

Enough from me on this, he's old enough to fend for himself.

Thats a tough break Ben.

I suspect that the underlying problem is that the LJ series of trucks are 'light duty' - if you look at what the others are driving they look to be heavier bits of kit, which is what I think you may need to undertake the sort of trips you have in mind.

I can see stuff breaking being a regular thing if you stick with the LJ, I reckon you'll get sick of it yourself soon enough, never mind the other guys.

Cheers

Pete

Ben - did you regear the diffs? would not doing so and running huge 37" tyres mean the diffs are a weak link?

When I looked at the photos this afternoon, I was thinking about both of those points...

From what I understand the coil sprung 70's are the lighter duty ones, up until they changed the Troopy and Ute in the mid/late 2000's. This applies to the LJ/KJ/RJ/BJ70 and the equivalent 78's in my understanding.

Do they not run a smaller axle etc compared to the FJ/BJ73/74 and the FJ/HJ75/76/79? Ie based off of the HiLux axles rather than the 60/80 Cruiser?

Is (was?) it a greasable UJ? Prop shafts aren't too bad in Aus, there is often somewhere locally that does them. I think a new UJ and re-balance comes in at about $600 based on what it cost for someone in Cairns.

With the trails in Australia I tended to err on the side of caution, partly because it was the first times I drove off road, but mainly because my 73 was my pride and joy (and was the most expensive thing I've ever bought!)

With the comments regarding the others in the group I think it's important to remember that a group is only as strong as the weakest link. As someone who has led clubs in environments that are challenging and hazardous, you quickly start to arrange things so that some people don't come along, either by not telling them about it, or arranging it so that they can't do it, be it days they can't do or by very short notice... and that's what may happen to Ben unfortunately.

Ben's big challenge is that in the UK and within his group that he'd go wheeling with, he was one of the top guys (from what I can understand) and well regarded in that respect. Now he's at the bottom of the group, and trying to prove what he can do. This will have been a big knock to the system so it's a case of stop, review, plan and then go from there. I've been in that position when I moved to a new area and joined a kayak club where I knew no-one, and I came in with qualifications that put me towards the top of the club and took my time learning about the people in the club and the locations that the club used. Only once that happened did I try new things with them and expanding bits and pieces. Trying too hard and screwing things up doesn't work that well.... it'll not endear you to the club.

By the way how much is RACV membership?

Looking at the pics your 'Cruiser seems to be very over-tyred in comparison to the others there; they seem to be sitting on 35's, as well as being GQ/GU Pootrols and 80/100 series LC's on the whole. I found that the 73 got stuck in places (wheel spinning in the air because it was hanging up in the air) where our friends with a longer wheelbase didn't have that same problem because it had crossed through the trench and had all of it's wheels on the ground. My feeling in Aus is that the longer wheelbase actually works better because the vehicle crosses the obstacle instead of a SWB where it may have one end in the rut and the other out of it, spinning the wheels. Once you then lock the diff and you're trying to pull it out using one driven wheel it's not a surprise that (a poorly installed - Ben's own words) the diff gives up the ghost.

Right enough stone throwing from inside this greenhouse on top of the ivory tower... we weren't there, Ben was, it's happened and now Ben's got to sort it out.

Good luck with it Ben, and hope it doesn't get you tarred and feathered... hopefully they won't put a sticker on the Pootrol saying "Toyota Rescue Vehicle"

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Roger, if you haven't got anything nice to say then please don't say anything. :eusa-naughty:

I've been very tolerant of you up to this point, but your starting to piss me off slightly now.

If you disagree with what I do and say then I politely ask you not to read and post any comments on MY build thread! :icon-rolleyes:

Some very nice pictures there Ben. Very sorry to hear of your mechanical troubles, as has been said, we ALL learn from our experiences, whatever they are (this is just a statement, and nothing personal is implied).

You were lucky that the group decided to do all they could to get you back to the road, towing a dead weight over that kind of terrain is very difficult, and will have put considerable strain on the tow vehicles. Fair play to them for being willing to use their vehicles in this way, obviously a good group of friends you've made there.

Once the rear diff had failed it was most likely only a matter of time before the next weakest link gave out. The terrain that the vehicle was on, plus the loading it was subject to, would have put tremendous strain on the front axle. It's not the first time that I've heard of a front prop failing, and I'm sure it won't be the last, it's just shame that its taken out the transfer box with it.

I do hope that you manage to find the funds and time to get LJ all fixed and even better than before. Then you can show your friends how good LJ really is.

(As Ben has said, it's not nice to see or read a mud slinging match. People can learn from their experiences (whatever they maybe) without having them rammed down their throat. Please can we stick to constructive, friendly chat. I for one enjoy following Ben & LJ's progress, and wouldn't want to see him not bothering to post anymore. After all it is his thread.)

Some very nice pictures there Ben. Very sorry to hear of your mechanical troubles, as has been said, we ALL learn from our experiences, whatever they are (this is just a statement, and nothing personal is implied).

(As Ben has said, it's not nice to see or read a mud slinging match. People can learn from their experiences (whatever they maybe) without having them rammed down their throat. Please can we stick to constructive, friendly chat. I for one enjoy following Ben & LJ's progress, and wouldn't want to see him not bothering to post anymore. After all it is his thread.)
:thumbup: Well said Scott.

I'm envious of the journey Ben and his mates did! Climbing up to 1,500m plus on a track like that is a great feeling, I'm never as keen to descend in the car (more fun on a bike!) but climbing feels fantastic (in the car!). My local play area goes up to 2,000m plus and I love it.

Good to hear you got a prop replacement Ben, I guess you can get new UJs with grease points for the new prop. What about the transfer casing, do you think you'll have a problem getting a replacement?

Apologies if I added to the strife earlier. I didn't intend any bad feeling by it.

Looks like quite an adventure there, Ben. Shame your first outing with the new group didn't work out as planned.

I second the notion about enjoying following your adventure of moving down under. Hopefully the negativity in previous posts won't discourage you posting. That would be very sad, IMO.

Looking forward to seeing LJ fully restored and back to fighting strength.

You're in a gem of a location for offroading. I've recently spent 10 days in the snowies, outside Kosciuszko National Park. Such a beautiful park of the world!

Thanks guys, appreciate the support. :thumbup:

Yesterday wasnt a great day for me. I got news from the UK that my Dad had lost his battle with cancer. :icon-cry:

Then I come on here and find I'm getting abuse on my build thread. :thumbdown:

Anyway back to LJ...................................................

I've had problems with crown wheels breaking in the past, and have come across 2 that had hairline cracks in them. But I have never broken a CV or shaft, both are parts I would have thought I would break before a crown wheel. :think:

Anyway..........................whenever I've replaced them before its been with 20 year old 100,000+ miles used ones. So this time fitting a brand new one from a reputable company, and getting it professionally fitted should mean it lasts a bit longer than previous ones. :pray:

I need to get the prop off and see if I can fit a new (grease-able) UJ. The bit off the transfercase thats broken I still need to source, if I cant find one I might try and get it TIG welded. :think:

Also need to get a load of genuine oil seals. :think:

Hoping to get it in the workshop this weekend and get it all stripped down. :icon-biggrin:

Ben I'm very sorry to hear about your Dad, my sincere condolences.

If there's one thing cancer teaches us is that live every day to the full, and make the most of life. I'm sure your Dad is very pleased and proud of what you have achieved so far, and the life that you've made for yourself.

Sorry to hear that Ben, its hard when one is far away from home when something like this happens.
I read your thread everyday, (with a little tint of green!) I only got as far as Froggy land, but Oz is where I wanted to be. Good luck with the rebuild

Cheers

Steve

Ben I'm very sorry to hear about your Dad, my sincere condolences.

If there's one thing cancer teaches us is that live every day to the full, and make the most of life. I'm sure your Dad is very pleased and proud of what you have achieved so far, and the life that you've made for yourself.

Ben, I second Scott's message of condolences, it's one of the toughest times of anyone's life, to get through.

Us giving you a hard time, even with the best intentions, must have been the last straw.

Sorry to hear about your dad Ben :icon-cry:

Thinking of you m8 :icon-smile:

Looks like another Epic trip there that will be remembered and spoken of for a very long time :icon-biggrin:

Back