Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lj70 build thread

not necessarily. if front diff is with fresh oil, see if you can identify the source of leak.
Thats the pic where I notice the oil on the right hand side bracket. Its very dificult to look in between ps pump and alternator, i tried with a mirror and torch. On the side photo, alternator body looks dry to me, so maybe its a different source.
Also, good to clean the area with some solvent, so you could observe whats going on better.
If no oil leak under the truck, then its better. If front dif looks quite wet with oil, maybe you should investigate a bit.

Also, you notice some plastic pins on the edge of the inner fender in the side photo. they are used to attach a rubber apron for the engine compartment.
I just bought some oil resistant rubber sheet and made them myself. you can get them lh and rh from toyota,
about 50euro/each.

Im about to redo one of them, if you need a template, just let me know.

this is the part number:
53737-90K02

Cheers Alex, yes I pulled the apron off earlier as was hanging off and was thinking to make a copy in something like this?

I don’t want to spend 100€ on them. They’re actually different on both sides?

I’m going to get the car to Julian for a good service at some point.

AED89E80-C1E9-4101-8D0F-F3D91D128D23.png

Looking really great mate! Good to see you on the road with it man. What a great accomplishment :icon-cool:

Good to see!:thumbup:

Cheers lads

I appreciate the encouragement you’ve all given.

Great group!

Overheated, aa guy said likely head gasket has gone.

If AA brc won’t cover maybe time to look at the engine swap.

Real shame, the engine has been fine for our daily use and was thinking I don’t need more power, dogs bloody love the windows in the car.

13F822B7-9B7A-4511-B4A6-EAE3B3CB2B6D.jpeg

Overheated, aa guy said likely head gasket has gone.

If AA brc won’t cover maybe time to look at the engine swap.

Real shame, the engine has been fine for our daily use and was thinking I don’t need more power, dogs bloody love the windows in the car.

View attachment 150157
Sorry to hear that, real shame.

You’ll be on the lookout for a 1KZT then? I don’t suppose you’ll regret the engine swap if that’s the way you go. It was an automatic choice for @Ben.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sorry to hear that, real shame.

You’ll be on the lookout for a 1KZT then? I don’t suppose you’ll regret the engine swap if that’s the way you go. It was an automatic choice for @Ben.

That would be a nice choice but if the garage cant replace the current one then I'll have a bit of a mission on my hands getting it to a place to do the swap when I can find the 1 KZt..

Is it unlikely then the garage could source the right bits new for the 2.4?

Rough trax sell the bits

Thanks N, that case garage should be able to source and if they cant i can point them in the right direction.

I would like the 1 kzt but finding and then funding the swap will be equally painful.

Thanks N, that case garage should be able to source and if they cant i can point them in the right direction.

I would like the 1 kzt but finding and then funding the swap will be equally painful.
my 1kz went in my surf, just seems they all go pop sooner or later, was bloody fun to drive though

yes, cant remember if there was a T on the end or not, think that was just to do with the fuel pump being, mechanical or electric though

yes, cant remember if there was a T on the end or not, think that was just to do with the fuel pump being, mechanical or electric though
That would be the ‘E’.
1KZT or 1KZTE

I really want the swap but without the fuss and cost.... funny that lol
Have seen diahatsu 2.8 turbo diesel fitted as a replacement for the 2.4 a long time ago. Went really well bulletproof engine and cheap as chips to buy. Just a thought........

my 1kz went in my surf, just seems they all go pop sooner or later, was bloody fun to drive though

Heat is the killer , replace the radiator and replace the exhaust downpipe with a custom made one and they can withstand some major abuse , don't ask me how i know :whistle:

surely, fan clutch, thermostat, injectors and IP adjustment must be looked at as well.....and IP is not a cheap job.
ask me how I know....

I'm talking about the 1KZ alexy , personally i dont know why anyone would go to the expense of changing the radiator without changing the theromostat for just a few quid , pumps and clutch fan rarely fail on these engines .

Back