Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ73 1UZ build/repair in Dubai

Forgot one important modification. My mate brought this back from Oz for me. Sent it to his old girls place from ebay.

Not sure if UK based members have seen these much before.
IMG_20170722_0046564.jpg

Ben once posted about these, there OZ only I think.

Unlike most people who buy a used Toyota, mine was set up for Falcon hunting. So I still have a falcon perch on my extended centre console. Don't have pics of that yet. Will get some as it is an unusual modification.
Nice build. interested in the falcon perch as fly one myself : )

So on Thursday night we had another session on stitching things up, and I installed the new thermostat, extended the coolant over flow with a temporary solution, installed the AC condenser fan and wired up a relay for the same.

We had and early night and were finished before midnight.

So on Friday we went to the desert for the first real shakedown since all the cooling system was updated.

We had two cruisers, and a 'borrowed' new Landrover Discovery 5 First Edition.

As we were pulling up into the desert a double cab Defender followed us in.

Screenshot_20170806-121746.png

The driver of the Defender is a nice Irish guy who had met my mate in the SWB a few times before. He goes to the desert in this area a lot and walks his dog.

The STTs on 8 PSI were doing their thing :

IMG_20170804_1822526.jpg

So the LR only got stuck in the super soft sand once. The silly 21" rims were obviously not helping. A bit of recovery later and were were good to go.
IMG_20170804_1839191.jpg

IMG_20170804_1843573.jpg

Must have been good samaritan day as we pulled out a stuck Fortuner - guy and missus were sitting for an hour and a half when we came along. Next we found another bunch of people stuck in a sedan in the sand between the split roads for each direction. Tried to take a short cut and sunk.

I decided to tow them out and it felt like a lead balloon on the other end. With a bit of communication my mate was able to get them to switch the engine on and take it out of park. It towed much easier after that :)

Stopped for a nice cold drink for sunset and got the moon up behind us :

IMG_20170804_1916225.jpg

Made it though the whole thing with no overheating which was a first for me. Did get hot right up to the end of the 'white' on the gauge so I still got a few tricks up my sleeve for that. Remembering that we are in peak summer and it is mid forties in the shade, plus the sand is dry so it is very soft. This is pretty much the worst conditions we will get.

The new rear shocks I got were hopeless, feel like no damping at all. So will need to sort those out. They are adjustable Profenders (Thailand?) but when I tried to adjust them the night before the dial just seemed to go round and round. I thought most shocks only had about 9 settings but these went for 30+ clicks either way with no noticeable difference.

On Saturday I picked up a second hand TIG welder, so will be able to mess around with that for the next bits I want to make.

Screenshot_20170805-205030.png

Very happy to be able to drive now without overheating, so will hopefully be getting out each week for a drive as well as keeping on with the repairs and upgrades.

Our new Irish friend is a pretty flash photographer, he gets shots of all the animals we just scare away. This is one of his instagram posts and I left his profile name there if anyone wants to see his shots :

Screenshot_20170806-104228.png

That's it for now...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Great to see you having a full session without any steam!
Superb photo too

Great post after all your hassle, and yes a lovely photo, thanks for the link. :thumbup:

When I got this vehicle I never had a bonnet strut that worked, it was all bent out of shape and the little clip was broken. I replaced the clip earlier and then last night I borrow my friend's strut to match the profile.

I thought it was a 2D bend, but it is actually 3D. So I bent it as close as I could to match, then started taping the two profiles together at one end and just working along until each section was aligned with the template.

IMG_20170807_2307394.jpg

Then finished all the trick bits, and ended up with pretty similar profiles just a difference in length. Fitted in spot though.

IMG_20170808_0136455.jpg

I also sorted out my some of my 12V electrical connections into a new box

IMG_20170807_2343194.jpg

And then got all motivated to installed a LED I picked up on the weekend. A few wires for a fused switch later and it was working. Then made an alloy support bracket.

IMG_20170808_0020575.jpg

So the light sits just near the battery and shines up onto the underside of the bonnet. Enough light bounces back to see the engine bay and mess around with stuff. Might save me having to drag out a work light every time I am doing something.

Also at the moment I don't have a hard wired compressor, so after any evening drives this can help to connect battery clamps etc.

I didn't yet connect it to be powered off ACC, I might end up doing this. Don't want to flatten the battery by mistake even though it is only a small LED.

I am planning on making up a 6 relay panel to drive two sets of driving lights, compressor, radiator fan, AC condenser fan, and a spare. The switch for this light would be on the same panel.

Instead of having all the relays just fitted anywhere a neat collection will be better. Will need to buy a few more connectors like a negative bus bar etc.

Also tried to get my new second hand tig working, but found a snapped Argon line inside and after looking inside I think the PO had messed around with it before. I hope I can get it working because I got it pretty cheap.

IMG_20170807_2239049.jpg

I fitted heavy duty eye bolts and chain to my workshop doors, too many things have been going missing from houses in my area and I don't want my tools walking off in the night. I only had a light duty version of the same fitted before.

IMG_20170808_0843219.jpg

Nice work. :thumbup:

I have to cut old padlocks off lockers at work quite regularly and out of all the padlocks, the Master ones are definitely the toughest! Got a big pair of Record bolt cutters and even they really struggle with them. :icon-twisted:

That's good to know. Never had to cut one before. I use them on my motorbikes too. :thumbup:

As for the shortie, I think it would look better with tapers coming from the ends as they are now, sloping up to the seam between the body and the arches, but that might be complicated to fab and TBH it does look fine as-is.

I think this is what you meant. Anyway I cut two more tapers in the bar when I had it off to drill some light holes.

IMG_20170812_0059357.jpg IMG_20170812_0100010.jpg

Don't know where the time went, but this was a solid afternoon and evening solo job.

New holes through frame, new stainless bolts and cleaned up the old faithful Lightforce lights. Been with me on a few vehicles now, think this is the 5th 4x4 they have graced. Just plain old bulbs, no HID or LED here.

Now all the installation is done, will sort some wiring and alignment tomorrow.

Another quick trip in the afternoon this weekend.

Saw some Arabian Oryx :

IMG_20170812_1831278.jpg

They were near a feeding station but we saw a few of them. A first in the desert for me. We also saw a pair of vultures (huge) and about a million gazelle. The oryx were pretty much extinct in the wild but they have now set up breeding programs and they seem to be going well. When it cools off a bit I will try to get some shots with my DSLR rather than phone camera.

Stopped for a break at one of the man made lakes :

IMG_20170812_1904265.jpg

Still got so much to do, but at least I am able to enjoy getting out on some drives as we go.

I ordered some much needed new suspension on the weekend, gone with a complete Dobinsons (shock plus spring) set. I paid the extra to air freight the rear shocks in, rest will come by sea.

The current rear shocks are so rubbish they might as well not be there.

Saw some Arabian Oryx :

View attachment 131430

They were near a feeding station but we saw a few of them. A first in the desert for me. We also saw a pair of vultures (huge) and about a million gazelle. The oryx were pretty much extinct in the wild but they have now set up breeding programs and they seem to be going well. When it cools off a bit I will try to get some shots with my DSLR rather than phone camera.

View attachment 131431

Still got so much to do, but at least I am able to enjoy getting out on some drives as we go.

I ordered some much needed new suspension on the weekend, gone with a complete Dobinsons (shock plus spring) set. I paid the extra to air freight the rear shocks in, rest will come by sea.

The current rear shocks are so rubbish they might as well not be there.

Looking really good Ako, time well-spent.

Nice to see the Oryx numbers increasing...

Dobinsons have a good reputation, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Ben recommended the Dobinsons in a FB group, so if they are no good I will have to blame him ;)

But on a serious note I have not heard a bad thing about them, and the local agent was very helpful and the pricing was more than competitive. So many companies here import goods from overseas and then add 50% to the price. You might as well just purchase yourself.

So I rushed out to the other side of town in my lunch break to pick up one of these :

20770382_336984293427307_1631350855463160582_n.jpg

Always wanted a fast compressor, it should be able to pump up the 33s without too much issue.

1750 AED is 475 USD or 370 GBP, so to me that price is pretty good.

There is no space under the bonnet so either under the yet to be designed bash plate or in the back. Seats are suspension type so no space their either.

Saw some Arabian Oryx :

View attachment 131430

View attachment 131431

Morning AKO
excellent posts
We are on the other side of the Empty Quarter in Saudi and enjoy getting out into the desert as much as possible. Right now the outside temperatures are not funny, plus the active snakes make camping somewhat risky.
By comparison here we see minimal Antelope - just camels and sheep/goats. and Litter. grgrgrgr.
I have been fascinated about the desert and, particularly, how many things I need to learn about despite having many years of overlanding experience. Given the poor mapping quality (in English) on the GPS has caused me to get more interested in navigation that does not rely on out-of-date info that I find on the GPS (and most local maps). This has led me to old fashioned Marine compass technology. Back-to basics.....

Hey Rob. Next time we head to Liwa I will give you a shout and we can meet over the fence :)

Bloody security sensors on the border fence though and security chases us away every time.

Brilliant driving on our bit of the Empty Quarter, Moreeb (Liwa) festival is on in January if you can make it.

They don't seem to have the link to the upcoming event, but here is last years :

https://abudhabievents.ae/en/Pages/liwa-sports-festival-moreeb-dune.aspx

Only recently have the gazelle and oryx been in the open desert. Always been in locked paddocks for breeding programs. Now they have feeding stations in the open.

Hey Rob. Next time we head to Liwa I will give you a shout and we can meet over the fence :)

Bloody security sensors on the border fence though and security chases us away every time.

Brilliant driving on our bit of the Empty Quarter, Moreeb (Liwa) festival is on in January if you can make it.

They don't seem to have the link to the upcoming event, but here is last years :

https://abudhabievents.ae/en/Pages/liwa-sports-festival-moreeb-dune.aspx

Only recently have the gazelle and oryx been in the open desert. Always been in locked paddocks for breeding programs. Now they have feeding stations in the open.
Sounds like a plan...:)

Reactions: Ako
Short update is I got 2 new batteries and my rear Dobinson shocks fitted today.

Went for a quick drive to the desert and I am super happy with them. Glad to get the temporary junk off.

Was a very smooth drive, between the suspension, the low pressure Coopers and the 70 series suspension seat it was probably the smoothest drive I have been on.

IMG_20170819_1804397.jpg

Was all nice like that, until it went like this :

IMG_20170819_1825370.jpg

Photo doesn't show up the angle as bad as it was, and every time I dug some sand out it just flowed down again from the top of the dune. Anyway, approx 5 hours later (midnight) and I am home and ready for a well earned rest.

Glad you're home safe, you must be exhausted.

I haven't done much dune driving, but the little we did, about 5 trips to the inland sea in Qatar, taught me a lot about driving characteristics in dry sand.

It certainly pulls you down quickly, once you lose the "float".

Back