Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Location of starter motor and service guide?

kzj90nz

Hi all,

Can someone tell me where to find the starter motor on a RHD KZJ90?

I've got a 1KZ-TE automatic.

I want to take out my starter motor and service it after it's done nearly 180,000 kms.

Does anyone have a guide?

Would you recommend a rebuild kit or just to pull it apart and give it a clean?

Hi all,

Can someone tell me where to find the starter motor on a RHD KZJ90?

I've got a 1KZ-TE automatic.

I want to take out my starter motor and service it after it's done nearly 180,000 kms.

Does anyone have a guide?

Would you recommend a rebuild kit or just to pull it apart and give it a clean?
That would be a good guide to put in the list! If you do, please take pics as you go, will be good to get a writeup :)

I posted a guide on removing the starter on a KD engine, it's in mods/repairs FAQ. I'd imagine it's in the same position on a KZ, as they are a broadly similar layout of an engine. It's on the passenger side under the oil filter/airbox area. Got a recon from auto electrician for cheap enough

Edit... The link doesn't appear to be working.. maybe it didn't transfer to the new site.

You can see it through the passenger side wheel arch if you pull the plastic which should tell you where to look from under the truck . I bought a new one because i set out on a 5000 round trip a day or 2 after it quit .

Cheers CP, no hurry.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Maybe I'm not being the most supportive here, but it's not really hard to locate a starter motor on any engine, if you have to ask where it is, should you be taking it out?
No offence intended and will now duck to avoid the flaming!

Thanks to everyone on here for your advice... Except Dieseldragon - no offense mate but you're clearly an arsehole... don't dish it out if you can't take it.

Right, links fixed. @kzj90nz - I think @Dieseldragon intentions were sound. A bit heavy.

Hopefully Bob's thread helps you locate the starter and fix it and you don't accidentally refurb the window washer motor :D

I didn't want to sound arseholish, was aiming for a humurous little dig. It's like asking where is the gearbox? It's not exactly a hidden sensor or relay. That's the trouble with forums, things get taken out of context.
I can understand asking if any special tools are needed and how to rebuild it and those are reasonable questions that I'm sure everyone on this forum will be more than happy to help with.
When you do find it, let us know how you get on with it! :)

So on one hand you wanted to make a dig... and still do... then you say everything is out of context...

Just own up Dieseldragon - you're a dick and you can't handle it when I call you out.

I'm just here asking for advice to fix my truck - I'm not here to deal with your passive aggressive "humour".

You're not a comedian, you're just a condescending and insecure prick getting off on calling yourself an expert.

Last edited:
So on one hand you wanted to make a dig... and still do... then you say everything is out of context...

Just own up Dieseldragon - you're a dick and you can't handle it when I call you out.

I'm just here asking for advice to fix my truck - I'm not here to deal with your passive aggressive "humour".

You're not a comedian, you're just a condescending and insecure prick getting off on calling yourself an expert.
Ease up chap. Totally uncalled for.
It's called banter, a lot of it goes on. Stop being so sensitive.

I stand by my comments and he stands by his.

I can tell your his mate Crispin and that's okay - but this is between him and I.

Like I said before, don't dish it out if you can't take it.

I stand by my comments and he stands by his.

I can tell your his mate Crispin and that's okay - but this is between him and I.

Like I said before, don't dish it out if you can't take it.
On the contrary, I've no idea who he is. I do though know that you seem to have a bit of a short fuse. Best of luck with your starter overhaul.

When on a forum such as this that deals with parts of vehicles that carry people there has to be a certain amount of questioning as to the suitability of the poster to perform the job without causing injury both to himself or others. I must confess to being a little surprised at the location question and wondered what it might lead to.

There is no place on this forum for posts such as those from you KZ. Sorry and all that but it's beyond banter and is unacceptable.

And just for the record I have no idea who DD is nor have I ever met him, but personal insults are both unfriendly and unwelcome.

Theres nothing wrong with being a newbie at anything and guys on here will be able to offer safe help and encouragement where needed. In my view it's fair comment to say are you ready safe and confident enough to be doing this. We all had to start somewhere.

May I suggest an apology to DD, Kz and move on.

When on a forum such as this that deals with parts of vehicles that carry people there has to be a certain amount of questioning as to the suitability of the poster to perform the job without causing injury both to himself or others. I must confess to being a little surprised at the location question and wondered what it might lead to.

There is no place on this forum for posts such as those from you KZ. Sorry and all that but it's beyond banter and is unacceptable.

And just for the record I have no idea who DD is nor have I ever met him, but personal insults are both unfriendly and unwelcome.

Theres nothing wrong with being a newbie at anything and guys on here will be able to offer safe help and encouragement where needed. In my view it's fair comment to say are you ready safe and confident enough to be doing this. We all had to start somewhere.

May I suggest an apology to DD, Kz and move on.
Well said Rich.

You self-righteous pricks need to get over yourselves - this is between Dieseldragon and I.

There is a underlying sense of entitlement on here to chastise people asking genuine questions which isn't apparent on other forums.

Should I book you all a room?

When on a forum such as this that deals with parts of vehicles that carry people there has to be a certain amount of questioning as to the suitability of the poster to perform the job without causing injury both to himself or others.
/quote]

Why? No one on this forum, no matter what their experience or post count has the right to question anyone else's 'suitability' to do anything. If someone posts up wanting specific advice then why not just give it along with some guidance and the benefit of your own experience and expertise if you have any? I agree, the OP's later comments crossed the line but he's obviously decided to have a go at repairing the starter himself so his request for info was reasonable IMO. It's fine answering a post with condescending remarks in jest with 'no offence intended' if you know the OP. It wouldn't bother me one iota personally but if you don't then you've no idea how they'll take it so you can't really complain if you get a retort. JMO[/quote]

Totally agree TP, which is why I qualified this further in my post. Perhaps I could have chosen my wording better as the 'questioning' was not meant to be direct to an individual. As I say, there is help and advice from the members here and banter too but to turn something low key into something more in replying so strongly without thinking before posting is unwelcome in friendly conversation or society.

This is a friendly forum for a reason as it lacks the sort of personal insults posted by KZ here. It is why many enjoy being here and being helpful.

It doesn't bother me particularly either, except that it goes against the friendly nature of this forum and as said there is no place for it here.

You self-righteous pricks need to get over yourselves - this is between Dieseldragon and I.

There is a underlying sense of entitlement on here to chastise people asking genuine questions which isn't apparent on other forums.

Should I book you all a room?

Keep digging KZ. Go bite the hand that feeds you and see how far you get.

For an insult to occur it takes two people. One to say something and another to take it as an insult.

If this were just between you and DD then you can use 'Conversations' formerly known as PMs rather than involving the whole membership as you are by posting your unpleasant retorts publicly on this forum.

If you intend to carry on in this vein I suggest you go and take your unpleasant attitude elsewhere.

Personally I have never seen what you describe on this forum. Ever. Including this thread.

Last edited:
Back