Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Locked out of the boot

womble_

Country Flag
england
Can anyone here give me a crash course in how the boot catch and lock works? I did a few searches but didn't find anything. I have the lift up doors not the barn doors. When i pull the lever on the inside or the outside it doesn't feel like its biting on anything. Is there a stretched cable somewhere? I'm moving house this weekend and i'm scuppered without a boot! thanks!

sounds like its stuck on locked or a rod has come off somewhere. Have you tried using the key in the lock to see if it has an effect?

I would say you almost certainly have a linkage off in the tailgate. The ext handle is spring loaded so will still have some tension on it even if the linkage has come adrift. Get inside, remove the interior tailgate trim panel and have a grope around in the door cavity to realise the latch. That's what I did to unlock the door when I had a similar problem. JMO

Thanks chaps - i'm in. both handles are operating the central mechanism, but neither is moving the horizontal bar that goes to the catch. Fortunately its easy to access with the handle trim removed. I'll report back here with pictures when i've cleaned all the dust and grime off everything and got it going again.

OK here's a trick, don't pull the upper handle, push it back. I've seen the tailgate locked on several 80s with nothing seeming to release it. Then I stumbled across pushing it back first. You know sometimes you unlock the door just as the Missus pulls the outside handle and it locks and won't open, well it's like that. So push it back before you start pulling all the trim off. It's very hard for the linkages to come adrift.

Slightly out of adjustment due to wear then Chris or a bit stiff so needing a longer pull.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I had the same thing happen on mine yesterday so I took the interior trim off and couldn't find anything wrong with the mechanism. I eventually worked out that it was the lock barrel not turning fully. A bit of WD40 and a lot of wiggling got it working correctly again.

Back