Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Long range tanks

grantw

Supporter
Has anyone come across these guys before?

http://www.tek-group.co.uk/acatalog/Series_A_Tanks_Tanks.html

I need to measure (when it gets warmer and drier) to see if one of these would squeeze under where the spare tyre sits. Possibly a little large. But the prices for what they are seem fantastic. Constructed with a 10mm plastic shell.

Series A Tank 1270 x 410 x 410mm Ref: 127-41-41
Volume 192 LitresNatural MDPEPlease See Drawing

Price: £225.40 (£270.48 Including VAT at 20%)

Hi
I guess "you get what you pay for" might be the case here. If not it is fantastic value. I have on order an 80l steel tank at over £500 which will go where spare wheel is now and I am moving the wheel up onto a carrier on the back. More cost but that then gives 170l fuel plus much better ground clearance at back end and the spare a lot easier to access. Good luck!

it will cost a few hundred more, once you add in the cost of the fittings, pipes, sender, guages, transfer pump etc

Yes, I used them to build a bespoke 70L water tank for the back of my 80, as the standard sizes didn't work (although much cheaper). They are only a few miles from me and I would heartily recommend them as a supplier. Their service is excellent, and they spent absolutely ages with me to re-draft the drawing and answer dopy questions.

Last edited:
Thanks Andrew, sounds like a massive thumbs up for me!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
This looks pretty good.

122 liters

830mm x 710mm x 230mm high

Fit good between the rear chassis rails of a 120.

Gra.

edit,
Actually, 230mm deep is a bit too much, 200mm would be better
Land Cruiser underneath rear (9).jpg

Last edited:
Gra, do you happen to know the distance between the rear chassies rails on an 80?

I have a tank at a fabricater mates place tm Grant. I had a look at Jon W tank at the weekend and the one im copying is the same as his. I think he said its 160L Tank.

Im having two made. One for my black one then one for my lanner. Once i have a finished price i may get some made. They arnt cheap though.

How would you mount one of those plastic tanks? The steel ones just have a couple of brackets front and rear and bolt to the chassis so they are self supporting and have internal braces for strength but a plastic tank will probably need a structural frame to sit in? The proper ones are a complicated shape to make full use of the available space without hanging down too low (the one I have is 166l Karl).

I have just several items custom made by TekTanks and can only rave about their customer service and quality of work :icon-biggrin:. We had two identical water tanks and battery boxes made to fit in the rear passenger footwells which carries 45 litres each. This will give us the option of being self sufficient in the desert/rual locations for several weeks at a time. We decided on two seperate ones, in case of contamination or for shorter journeys we could take one out and use the space for extra storage. The other item was frames to mount our two solar panels on which sits ontop of our Howling Moon tent. My wife also managed to slip in a made to measure cake preparation board (she designs, bakes all sorts of cakes) which she is thrilled about. For us it was worth every penny spent and we would recommend them highly.:happy-jumpeveryone::happy-jumpeveryone:

Hi Marius,

How much was "Every penny"?

Gra.

@Jon that is the question that is currently on my mind. Currently just doing loads of research before I start spending the money. The tanks themselves (from everything i've been able to garner) seem pretty strong so not sure they would need a structural brace, perhaps just a few metal straps would do? But this is all just conjecture atm. Then of course it all has to be weighed up with the cost of fittings, pumps etc verses an off the shelf tank.

@Jon that is the question that is currently on my mind. Currently just doing loads of research before I start spending the money. The tanks themselves (from everything i've been able to garner) seem pretty strong so not sure they would need a structural brace, perhaps just a few metal straps would do? But this is all just conjecture atm. Then of course it all has to be weighed up with the cost of fittings, pumps etc verses an off the shelf tank.
If its the 10mm polyproposummatorother, it is remarkably rigid. They aren't that far from you, so I suggest that you pop down to see them...

Last edited:
Gra, do you happen to know the distance between the rear chassies rails on an 80?
Sorry, completely missed that.

No, I am sorry, I can't help, but I see some one just posted the "between chassis" measurement.

Gra.

Another few thoughts regarding costs. Do these plastic tanks feed into the main tank i.e. as a "header" tank or do they have a separate feed into the fuel line somewhere? How are they filled and do they have a gauge of some sort and internal baffles to reduce the slopping about ? Finally, has Mr T gone to plastic tanks yet on later L models ifnotnt -why not as it seems much cheaper than steel. Just idle thoughts to see what people think.

There are several ways to run auxilliary tanks. One is to have a fuel transfer pump that will pump fuel between the tanks as required. These fill through the normal filler and you have to transfer the fuel to the second tank as a separate operation.
Another is to have a separate filler for the second tank.
The other is to share the filler but fit a Y into the filler neck at the top. If you angle the pump nozzle one side it fills one tank, the other it fills the other. This isn't possible with all vehicles/tanks.
You can also just have the tanks cross connected (via valves if you want separation options). Often the simplest way.

Mine is fitted above the spare wheel. The filler feeds this tank, which then has a full bore feed into the original tank, and gravity does the rest.

Back