Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking for a roof tent

We were in a sand storm in Namibia in RTTs. They were trying to take off all night. It was a little disconcerting and worrying as the ladder provided some of the support, and should they move, the tents would have been damaged.

I have had a tent try and fold itself up with me inside it during a storm. Not fun when as mentioned the ladder provides the support. From that night onwards I used to bungee cord the ladder down to the tow bar to prevent a reoccurrence.

We endured severe gale force winds on the coast once in our Eezi. We survived but had to adapt, we turned the car so the smallest area faced the winds, tied the ends of platform overhang to the car and put earplugs in.

We endured severe gale force winds on the coast once in our Eezi. We survived but had to adapt, we turned the car so the smallest area faced the winds, tied the ends of platform overhang to the car and put earplugs in.
I think I’d be sleeping in the car!!

We will be potentially selling our Hannibal (and room underneath) soon, looking at swapping to a Maggi / Baroud type...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Lorin, you mentioned the Allrad. We're going too. I have to say from memory, the last time I went, there was very little stuff like roof tents on show. In fact I found it very disappointing. It was more geared to vehicle builds. Hopefully there's more there this year. Better to just look around the camp ground really. There's everything you need right there!

germans do love touring. they are all over Iceland and Scandinavia. they do seem to prefer motor homes and vehicle builds to tents though..

That's an interesting observation and actually now I come to think about it, I have to say I have met very few Germans with that sort of set up CG. Hmm. Good call.

Lorin, you mentioned the Allrad. We're going too. I have to say from memory, the last time I went, there was very little stuff like roof tents on show. In fact I found it very disappointing. It was more geared to vehicle builds. Hopefully there's more there this year. Better to just look around the camp ground really. There's everything you need right there!

There were a few different tent displays last year including Howling Moon IIRC. It definitely caters more toward the conversion and bigger camper builds but I found it worth the visit. As you rightly point out, the real star of the show is the camp ground. We’ve got an extra day this time to be able to spend more time talking to people. Might see you there.

I know this is an old thread now, but we're off to Tufftrek Saturday to check out the TT02 MK3 RTT. It looks like a good bit of kit, and more importantly will keep The Good Woman happy in the hills. Does anybody have experience with these?

I know this is an old thread now, but we're off to Tufftrek Saturday to check out the TT02 MK3 RTT. It looks like a good bit of kit, and more importantly will keep The Good Woman happy in the hills. Does anybody have experience with these?
who is this good woman who lives in the hills of which you speak?

who is this good woman who lives in the hills of which you speak?
Ha, the Good Woman is the wife who doesn't live in the hills, though from time to time we toy with the idea of moving to the hills. The RTT is mainly for her comfort on our next trip to the Pyrenees. I'd be happy under a tarp otherwise.....

Out of interest Karl, which version, though I think we're sold on the TT

Have you had a good look at the TT stuff @Bert ? JMO but the material they use seems to let a lot of daylight in when compared to the HM.

That's a big deal for a fella like me who enjoys a lie in or a midday nap in black-hole darkness.

Back