Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking for an HDJ80 with FT

wedgetail

Country Flag
australia
I’m trying to help my best mate find a cruiser. He’s wanting a diesel 80, manual with an FT. I’d do the ground work myself but it’s a bit hard being 12k miles away...

There’s a couple on eBay, one out of his price range, the other is a potential 1995 Toyota LAND CRUISER AMAZON 4.2, 24V GS **Only 2 Owners With 103067 Miles an | eBay - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]
My first question is - seeing as a few of you a immersed in the UK 80 scene which I imagine is quite exclusive - does anyone know of this vehicle or are you able to check any sort of records for it? It’s a little over budget - he’s planning on offering up to 10k for it, how does this sound? I’ll write him a list of questions to ask and check when inspecting/driving it, and gave a few ideas of where to check for rust but otherwise I’ll have to leave the decision to him. He’s not a mechanic, but can talk like he is!

Second question - does anyone know of a good (not pristine) candidate for sale? He’s currently in London, about to move to Cornwall but will travel for the right vehicle.

Thanks for any help!

Welcome, 80's do seem to gave generated a " desirable" status of late with prices, especially at dealers becoming a tad unrealistic. That GS ( poverty model) would have to be mint underneath ( which I doubt it is) to be approaching that kind of money.
Patience is the key when Landcruiser hunting.

Thanks for the reply. Yes prices here almost doubled for 4x4d a few months ago, but are creeping back down to pre COVID levels now. But that’s mostly due to increased domestic travel.
I think he’d almost prefer a GS, although specs are clearly quite different to here - it would be a GXL, our poverty packs are way more basic (no flares, all vinyl interior, 6 seater, part Time 4wd). In your opinion, without know anything else, what would a fairer price be for that? obviously a difficult question to answer but just ballpark...
Patience is the key when Landcruiser hunting.
as with any car hunting, if you can. It’s something I’ve never been able to manage though, and he’s quite similar to me so it can be difficult...

So I got him to run a MOT check. The only concerning advisory is “underbody surface corrosion” in the previous MOT which was otherwise a pass. When they say this - how bad can it be? Is it just surface? I assume they’re reasonably thorough with checking for rust?

It had had corroded rear coils but I’m guessing they were replaced as it didnt crop up last time. I wouldn’t worry about it even it they were still corroded anyway. Also an isolated diesel smoke warning a while ago which seems to have been rectified

Frankly as a comment it's pretty meaningless. My wife's Corolla says that every year. I look under there and think, Oh, right. If it's near a body mount it will probably be flagged, but on its own, it's not a great deal of help

Ah I see, thanks - a bit of arse covering I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That looks ok for the money if you consider what defender owners are asking. If it's a perfect condition car, then it's not going to be that price either. I'm a 'big picture' sort of person when it comes to these things and it is a 25yr old car from the damp UK. It quite simple you ask him for detailed photos of the underbody and to check in the rear pockets and wheel arches. 3x working difflocks would be nice. The rest is academic I guess. You could always ask him to take it to a main dealer for an MOT inspection and offer a deposit based on verification.

yep, its all about the amount of rust on a vehicle in the uk. choose good metal work over mileage if its a good runner and has a nice interior.

theres a lot of life left in that IP too..:icon-wink:

" Intercooler from factory" in the description ..... pretty sure that wasn't an option you could tick...?

That looks ok for the money if you consider what defender owners are asking. If it's a perfect condition car, then it's not going to be that price either. I'm a 'big picture' sort of person when it comes to these things and it is a 25yr old car from the damp UK. It quite simple you ask him for detailed photos of the underbody and to check in the rear pockets and wheel arches. 3x working difflocks would be nice. The rest is academic I guess. You could always ask him to take it to a main dealer for an MOT inspection and offer a deposit based on verification.
is it normal to not supply an MOT? Here dealers must provide them by law. I would have thought not supplying one would be admitting the car is faulty... yes the rust thing does concern me - I’ve seen and heard of horror stories, I’m giving him instructions of where to look and to be through...
yep, its all about the amount of rust on a vehicle in the uk. choose good metal work over mileage if its a good runner and has a nice interior.

theres a lot of life left in that IP too..:icon-wink:
yeah I’d hope so - but a lot of short journeys and sitting doesn’t do them any good either, likewise filter changing and fuel quality is a factor. But I agree - it should be fairly safe. If he was getting a 1HD-T I’d tell him to get an oil sample.
" Intercooler from factory" in the description ..... pretty sure that wasn't an option you could tick...?
yeah - as far as I’m aware no 80d ever got them, but I don’t know the UK spec so not 100% on this, only about 99%. Could be good or bad

No UK intercooler factory option. But then it might actually mean intercooler added to upgrade from factory spec. What it does have though is AC which is an upgrade option on the GS.

Always interesting when the rear quarter TURBO decals are missing. They are an absolute swine to get off unlike say a metal badge. So I wonder if this has had its paint refreshed. From what little you can see of the rear trailing arm, it certainly has promise. But way overpriced really.

Trip computer? Errm... folding mirrors as opposed to non folding mirrors. It's just lazy advert writing.

How about this one Wedgetail? Long and illustrious history on this forum.

No UK intercooler factory option. But then it might actually mean intercooler added to upgrade from factory spec. What it does have though is AC which is an upgrade option on the GS.

Always interesting when the rear quarter TURBO decals are missing. They are an absolute swine to get off unlike say a metal badge. So I wonder if this has had its paint refreshed. From what little you can see of the rear trailing arm, it certainly has promise. But way overpriced really.

Trip computer? Errm... folding mirrors as opposed to non folding mirrors. It's just lazy advert writing.
well it doesn’t matter - he finally got through, someone put a deposit on it a while ago. The add should’ve been taken down. A bit disappointing apparently it’s very tidy with absolutely no rust...

How about this one Wedgetail? Long and illustrious history on this forum.

Thanks - That’s a good looking rig! Not a manual or an FT (unless it’s been swapped!), but a lot of fruit. He’d need to refit the middle row seats as he’s got a kid. I’ve sent it through, it’s got quite a lot going for it. So it’s a member’s here?

Well if they pay that for it then they've been done over. One day I'll tell you about my blue one.....

...he says that to all the new members..

'Always interesting when the rear quarter TURBO decals are missing. They are an absolute swine to get off'. ... Haven't you got a friction wheel decal remover

Well if they pay that for it then they've been done over. One day I'll tell you about my blue one.....
Well I don’t know what the final agreed price was, it could have been less than the asking price in the add?

There’s one other on car and classic but it had bad looking rust exploding under the rear windscreen, is 12k with 145k miles and isn’t as nice. Looking into it though will see how much the seller will budge

Just to wrap this up, he broke down and got an HDJ100. Good condition, good price, he’s happy, so am I!

Back