Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking for the impossible?

Surfer

At present I drive a HiLux Surf 3.0L auto with 72,000 miles on the clock, but we and by we I mean the wife is thinking of upgrading to a 3.0L auto LC. She is keen on leather seats as we have 4 dogs and leather is easier to clean than cloth plus all the extra toys and cruise control. I am not that keen on leather as it always feels as if my bum is sliding around on the seat!
So we are looking for vehicle about 10 years old that has leather seats, cruise control and a few boys toys for me. Preferably with a low mileage, diesel and automatic. We have looked at the Colorado and would consider one built between 1999 and 2001. Besides the leather what doesn't the GX have that the VX has?
The other is either the LC4 or LC5 but what is the difference between these two as both seem to have leather seats? The going to the extreme what is the main difference between the late Colorados' and the early LCs'? Our budget is about £8000 give or take on either side a grand or so. Maximum would be £10,000 for a really stonking vehicle. Mainly being looking on Autotrader as Toyota dealer prices are stupid!
It will be our one and only vehicle and used for daily commuting to and from shops and for towing our caravan. We are assuming that using a 4.2 diesel auto for towing a twin axle laden caravan with MTPLM of 1800kgs will be a killer at the fuel pumps which is why we would prefer the 3.0L. Also as we are rural and travelling into town down country lanes to do shopping we hardly ever get above 40mph and diesels do not like that very much!

Welcome to the site!
I think you'll be happy with either vehicle to be honest - the major difference is going to be the looks - the 120 series obviously looks a bit more current than the Colorado, if that's important to you.

Surfer said:
Besides the leather what doesn't the GX have that the VX has?
For the 90, not much in terms of the goodies that count - different trim, different rims and that's about it.

Surfer said:
The other is either the LC4 or LC5 but what is the difference between these two as both seem to have leather seats?
Main difference is the LC4 I believe has the rear diff-lock whereas the LC5 relies on A-TRAC. If you see yourself off-roading then the rear diff-lock is probably more useful. But opinions vary on the effectiveness of A-TRAC...

Surfer said:
going to the extreme what is the main difference between the late Colorados' and the early LCs'?
Beyond the cosmetics not a huge amount IMHO. The Collie of that vintage will be running the same D4d 3l TD engine as the 120 (I'm assuming you're looking at diesel?). The Collie will have a rear diff-lock, whereas the 120 might. Ergonomically the 120 is nicer inside but there's nothing wrong with the Collie. I think either will be perfect for your needs - your choice whether you want to spend your entire budget or not ;)

I'd say you should get a mint, low mile 90 for £6-7k (personally I'd set the budget at £6k and shop around til I got a perfect one). At around £8k, I imagine you're looking at quite high mileage 120s, so getting a mint LC4/5 with acceptable miles and condition could be a harder ask. But I am not too close to the market for these. I'm sure guys on here will chime in with more advice! Note that Autotrader prices tend to be inflated, so I would look to knock 1-1.5k off any list price.

Cheers,

Hi Surf,

Warm welcome to the best land Cruiser site - - - - ever. :clap:

SURFER said:At present I drive a HiLux Surf 3.0L auto with 72,000 miles on the clock,

Just being "run in then" the Surf's are a very underrated vehicle in my opinion.

SURFER said: but we and by we I mean the wife is thinking of upgrading to a 3.0L auto LC. She is keen on leather seats as we have 4 dogs and leather is easier to clean than cloth plus all the extra toys and cruise control. I am not that keen on leather as it always feels as if my bum is sliding around on the seat!

I am also not a fan of leather, well, leather seats any way, she can wear leather whenever she wants :lol:

SURFER said:So we are looking for vehicle about 10 years old that has leather seats, cruise control and a few boys toys for me. Preferably with a low mileage, diesel and automatic. We have looked at the Colorado and would consider one built between 1999 and 2001. Besides the leather what doesn't the GX have that the VX has?

I think that you are looking really at a Colorado, which is generally a "90" series, or to be more correct, a 90 series = 3 door (Short wheel base) and the 95 series which is the 5 door (Long wheel base), but generally, both the LWB & the SWB are termed "90" series trucks.
I guess the GX v VX differences are mostly cosmetic, but I think only the VX has the cruise control.

SURFER said:The other is either the LC4 or LC5 but what is the difference between these two as both seem to have leather seats? The going to the extreme what is the main difference between the late Colorados' and the early LCs'? Our budget is about £8000 give or take on either side a grand or so. Maximum would be £10,000 for a really stonking vehicle. Mainly being looking on Autotrader as Toyota dealer prices are stupid!

The 90 series was replaced by the newer 120 series I think the first 120 series hit the road in 2003.
The base model was LC2, but I think I am right in saying, this was just for Ireland.
In UK, the range was LC3, LC4, LC5, & the Invincible,.
You could be excused for thinking the LC3 is basic, but it has all the toys needed, without going to far, ie has 4 x electric windows, cruise, etc.
The most important thing is, the LC3 has real coil springs, and not some electronic height control gubbins.
There are a few who have removed the electronic height control, and reverted back to real coil springs.
I think the electronic height gubbins idea, was not one of Toyota's finest, this also holds true for the rear diff lock.
On the LC3, there is a real, proper mechanical diff-lock, where on some of the LC4 it varies between electronic, and real diff lock, and the LC5 has only the electronic diff lock, called ATRAC.
Again, there are owners who are wishing to replace the rear ATRAC diff, and fit a conventional diff from the LC3 range.
I am not sure ATRAC is the best, as it waits for you to lose traction before it starts to work, by braking the wheel with no grip, where as the mechanical diff lock can be engaged before you head into the sticky stuff.

I am not sure an LC3, LC4 or LC5 will come into your price range at the moment, but you may be lucky and get an early, tatty one, but to be honest, that wouldn't be for me.
All the LC range are permanent four wheel drive, and unlike the Surf, you can not select just rear wheel drive.
However the four wheel drive system is very good, and therefore, no need to want just two wheel drive.
Regarding the D4-d engines.
They are in all the diesel LC3, LC4, and LC5 trucks
They are also in the last of the Colorado's, I guess a 2001 and a 2002 could be found with the later D4-d engine.
They are in some respects the same engine, but they are fueled differently, with the common rail system, different turbo, inter cooler, engine management, they are all different than the 3.0 TD, which is powering the Surf. (Even then the Surf could have the manual fuel pump or electronic fuel pump)

SURFER said:It will be our one and only vehicle and used for daily commuting to and from shops and for towing our caravan. We are assuming that using a 4.2 diesel auto for towing a twin axle laden caravan with MTPLM of 1800kgs will be a killer at the fuel pumps which is why we would prefer the 3.0L. Also as we are rural and traveling into town down country lanes to do shopping we hardly ever get above 40mph and diesels do not like that very much!

With the LC3 D4-d (1KD-FTV)
Running solo, you can expect around 30 mpg.
Towing your 1800kg TA caravan, you can expect 22 - 24 mpg

The D4-d engine 1KD-FTV, 2998cc to give it it's proper name, is the most economical engine Toyota have ever put into a Land Cruiser. (2KD-FTV is the D4-d fitted to some Hi Lux 2500cc)

Generally the D4-d engines will output between 165 bhp and 205 depending on year and spec.
The engines are quite easily "up-powered" by means of a chip box, as the engine is quite lazy in many respects.

Gra.

Thanks very much to both of you for the heads up on the vehicles. I think the later Colorado is the way to go unless I find a good LC4 without electronic suspension. Never believed in those as I remember LR have big issues with it when towing. I think there was a court case about it which was kept very quiet.
BTW what is the FX model as there is one advertised with 77k on the clock?

Welcome!

Further specs can be found here (for 2005 variant)

2005 120 Series

Hope you find what you're looking for. But given your requirements, why not a decent 80 series? MPG is not that different, really, especially if maintained properly, and the price difference would pay for a lot of diesel :lol: More space in the back for the woofers, too.

Gary Stockton said:
Welcome!

2005 120 Series

Hope you find what you're looking for. But given your requirements, why not a decent 80 series? MPG is not that different, really, especially if maintained properly, and the price difference would pay for a lot of diesel :lol: More space in the back for the woofers, too.

When people start talking about this "series" or that "series" then I flounder as I am out of my depth. I have no idea what a 80 series is with respect for year etc. I have a fairly good reason for wanting cruise control and not sure if it is fitted on older models. LOL!

Just had a read on wiki regarding various series and it seems from about 1999 onwards is good.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you're looking at 90's then an 80 probably isn't what you're after but quite a few 80's have cruiser control. Might even work on some of them :)

This is an FX :D

no plastic trim and as standard comes with skinnier 6" wide alloys (i have a set of 7" wide alloys as well now as seen in picture)
single battery
some dont have aircon

file.php

Thanks. Seems that is the very basic vehicle. Saw the one and only one on autotrader. Most are GX or VX.

Surfer said:
Gary Stockton said:
Welcome!

2005 120 Series

When people start talking about this "series" or that "series" then I flounder as I am out of my depth. I have no idea what a 80 series is with respect for year etc. I have a fairly good reason for wanting cruise control and not sure if it is fitted on older models. LOL!

Just had a read on wiki regarding various series and it seems from about 1999 onwards is good.
70 series (one of the members here)
70series-1.jpg

80 series
80series.png

120 series
faw-toyota-land-cruiser-prado-01800x462.jpg

Andy shows a 95 series above, 5 door LWB, but they are often all just called 90 series.

Gra.

hi did you manage to find a landcruiser and if your interested im looking for a hilux :icon-biggrin:

Back