Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking to buy a 100 series and have a few general questions....

etharwell

Country Flag
united_states
Looking to buy a nice LC and am curious if there is any year model that's considered the "best" or if there's any major differences in them other than minor cosmetics. I've been looking at the 06 & 07's, but that's mainly because they usually have lower mileage. Also, is there a certain mileage number that I should try to stay under when buying one of these particular year models? From what I can tell 125,000 miles is on the low end that I'm going to find.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

They do the facelift 100 series which I believe would fall in those years, someone will come along and be more specific. There are then three variations, FX, GX and VX. FX is base model, GX has cloth interior and a few other things such as aircon. VX will have the leather, Electrics, ect ect ect. Some Imports have extra thing too.

Mileage on these aren't so important, it's more of the general condition of the vehicle, how well it drives, and of course a good service history. Check underneath for rust and usual wear and tear.

100 series development

Just for you !!

US Model Specifications
Drivetrain
(Changes listed for the 1999-1998 are in comparison to the 80 Series US Spec Land Cruiser, the rest of the changes are listed with reference to the previous 100s Series Land Cruiser)

• Introduction of the new body style and 4.7L V8 2UZ-FE Motor. The motor is a DOHC motor with 230 hp at 4800 rpm and 320 ft.lbs of torque at 3200 rpm
  • 4 speed Transmission - A343F
  • Rear Electric Locking Differential Lock was optional equipment
  • HF2A full-time 2 speed transfer case with center differential lock
  • Unlike the 80 series, the transfer case does not have a viscous coupler.
  • Rear differential was changed to a 9.5" ring gear.
  • Rear differential is a 4 pinion diff with ratio of 4.3
  • Front differential only has 2 pinion gears.
  • Rear axle is a semi-floater 32 spline design.
  • Wheel studs changed to 14mm 1.5 treat pitch
  • Bolt pattern for wheels changes to 5 on 150mm
  • Wheel Lug Nuts changed to 22mm
  • Front suspension was changed to a IFS system with torsion bar springs.

• Rear AC was added as an option
  • Rear Differential Locker was an option
Drivetrain

• VSC (Vehicle Skid Control) added
  • A-TRAC (Active Traction Control) added
  • EBD (Electronic Brake Force Distribution) added
  • Rear Differential Locker was no longer available as an option
  • Front differential was changed from a 2 pinion to a 4 pinion unit.
Exterior

• A tether connecting the fuel cap to the fuel lid has been fitted
  • The aluminum wheel with chrome tone painting has been adopted.
Interior

• CRS (Child Restraint System) lower anchorage for securing child seats has been provided behind the seat cushion of center and left side seat of rear No.1 seat
  • CRS anchor brackets for securing a child seat have been provided on the floor behind the rear No.1 seat.
  • The one-touch auto up-and-down function are provided in the power windows of all doors.
  • An automatic glare-resistant EC (electrochromic) mirror system has been adopted for the inner rearview mirror.
  • A compass has been integrated in the inner mirror. This compass
    is standard equipment on the models without the multi-information display.
  • A DVD Based voice navigation System with 7" touch screen was offered as an option
  • 6-disc DVD automatic changer is provided in the rear console box as an option, together with the multi-display

• No Major Changes
Exterior

• The front bumper and radiator grille design was changed.
    changed
  • The rear back door name plate molding was changed
  • Running board design was changed
  • The roof rack was added as optional equipment
  • The rear turn-signal lights was changed from amber to clear
  • The roof-rail has been adopted as optional equipment.
  • 275/65R17 tires with 17x8JJ-60 wheels are provided as standard equipment.
  • 275/60R18 tires with 18x8JJ-60 wheels are provided as optional equipment.
  • Wheels were redesigned
Interior

• The center cluster of the dashboard was changed
  • The combination meter design was changed
  • Added the new steering wheel with controls on the center pad
  • The pillar handles and coat hook was changed for the vehicles with side curtain airbags
  • The screen of the multi display was changed to a touch screen
  • A voice recognition system was added to the GPS system
  • Side and curtain shield airbags were adopted as optional equipment
  • Drive and passenger airbag system was changed to a dual-stage unit.
  • An RSAS (Rear Seat Audio System) was added as standard equipment.
  • Power tilt and telescoping features added to the steering column
Drivetrain

• Engine Output increased to 235hp
  • Changed to a drive by wire with an accelerator position sensor on the accelerator pedal
  • An A750F 5 speed automatic transmission was added
  • Rack and pinion steering was changed to Variable Gear.
  • The throttle position sensor was changed to a no-contact unit.
  • Charcoal canister capacity increased and moved to above the spare tire.
  • Shift pattern for transmission was changed to a gate type.
  • The front and rear driveshaft were updated with stronger U-joints and larger tubes
  • Propeller Tube Diameter ’03 Model (A750F) ’02 Model (A343F)
    Front 65.0 mm (2.6 in.) 54.0 mm (2.1 in.)
    Rear 75.0 mm (3.0 in.) 65.0 mm (2.6 in.)
  • The differential gears were changed to a 4.1 ratio.
  • The tow hitch was offered as optional equipment
  • The rear cross member was changed to accept a towing hitch that can be bolted to the rear cross member.
  • Catalytic converters were changed
  • Radiator fin pitch was changed for better cooling
  • Alternator was changed to a high output segment conductor type
  • Fuel cutoff switch when airbags are deployed was added
  • Crank Hold Feature was added. This feature will keep the starter engaged, once the ignition switch is turned to the START position without having to keep the key in the START position.
Interior

• Added power lumber support for the passenger seat.
  • A Bluetooth hands-free function was added to the multi function display
  • The backup camera system was added as an option.
Exterior

• The color of the windshield and front door glass has been changed from bronze to green.
  • The privacy glass for the rear door, rear door quarter, quarter, and back door has been changed to dark-gray tempered glass.
Drivetrain

• SLLC (Super Long Life Coolant) accepted and service interval increased. The color of this coolant is pink and the initial change interval is 100 000 miles, and every 50 000 miles thereafter. Previous interval was every 30 000 miles or 2 years, whichever comes first. The coolant comes pre-mixed and does not require diluting.
  • The transmission dipstick was removed. The fill position is now checked at the overflow plug.
  • ATF-W (Automatic Transmission Fluid) is now specified instead of the ATF-T-IV. The ATF WS is not interchangeable with other types of ATF (ATF type T-IV, or D-II).

• 18" wheels become standard equipment
Interior

• The cruise control system was changed to keep the vehicle’s set speed in its memory even if the vehicle dropped below the low-speed limit.
Exterior

• The design of the headlights and the grille where changed.
  • The design of the rear combination lights where changed.
  • The rear spoiler was introduced as optional equipment.
  • The taillight and stop light bulbs where changed to LEDs (Light-Emitting Diodes).
Drivetrain

• 2UZ-FE Engine- The VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing-intelligent), ACIS (Acoustic Control Induction System), and AI (Air Injection) system are added to the 2UZ-FE engine to achieve a greater performance level and reduce exhaust emissions.
  • Active Height Control Suspension (AHC) is introduced as optional equipment.
  • The Brake Control System was updated (ABS with EBD, Brake Assist, A-TRAC and VSC System).
  • Tire Pressure Warning System is added.
Drivetrain

• 2UZ-FE Engine some (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) where added.

Agree with Rollence - if you are in the US, you should be checking the US LC forum, as models are market specific and quite different between the UK and the US.

Agree with Rollence - if you are in the US, you should be checking the US LC forum, as models are market specific and quite different between the UK and the US.

Hi , new here, located in shaky Christchurch after moving over from the UK 9 years ago.... and came across this thread on my quest to understand more of the vehicle prior to buying one...
I'm i the process of migrating from my beloved 1995 Nissan/safari to a cruiser 100 and trying to get my head round the implications of the potential choices..
How similar would the above spec list against age be for Imported NZ vehicles... any specific areas that were changed ?
thanks UHU, looks like you are in Sri Lanka ? used to live there too :)
Thanks for any pointers

Piers

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My 2003 has done 69K :) and has no tow bar !
its a facelift auto so has the newer 5 speed auto gearbox.
A very good find :)

Has anyone had problems with a 100 series LC power steering fluid box getting red hot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back