Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking to buy a 4.7 VX

dunk1

Country Flag
great_britain
Anything i should look out for on one of these.

It's a 2000 reg 4.7 VX on LPG and done 110,000 miles

For sale at £5495 last owner 7 years with 3 previous, lots of history, looks pretty straight and no tow bar

Thanks
Dunk

Personally, I would be most scrupulous about the lpg installation.

I'd want to see its installation certificate, and also I believe they have to have safety checks, so I'd want to see them as well. If the makers name is known, I'd google it and look for reviews etc.

I'd want it to be a multi-point system, rather than the older single point, and I'd want it to have a flash-lube kit - lpg runs hotter than petrol so the flash-lube kit cools the cylinder - I know folks will say flashlube isnt necessary on every car with lpg, but for me its important.

Cheers

Pete

Personally, I would be most scrupulous about the lpg installation.

I'd want to see its installation certificate, and also I believe they have to have safety checks, so I'd want to see them as well. If the makers name is known, I'd google it and look for reviews etc.

I'd want it to be a multi-point system, rather than the older single point, and I'd want it to have a flash-lube kit - lpg runs hotter than petrol so the flash-lube kit cools the cylinder - I know folks will say flashlube isnt necessary on every car with lpg, but for me its important.

Cheers

Pete

What Pete said - I think the Flashlube is essential on a LPG converted 4.7 V8, as there have been quite a few documented cases of burnt valves etc. on this engine.

I know the conversion on my 5VZ-FE was done correctly and no corners cut and has been running 100% since day 1, (75k+ miles/6 yrs ago) but I would be very, very cautious of buying a car with a conversion (I know that sounds a bit like double standards) but I would rather have the conversion done myself, if I was to go down that route.

Check that the truck ticks over perfectly
as hunting may mean burnt valves.
Alsi make sure that the AHC works up and down no problems
i bought mine without a flash lube system on with 140k ( LPG on from new)
fitted flash lube at 180k and now at 250k it needs new valves. Other Han these items they should be rock solid. Check the upper tail gate for rust

An LPG convertion does not sound like a good idea. In Norway gas convertions are popular. But do bear in mind that Toyota themselves have said that their engines is not to be convertet to run on gas/LPG. This is due to the fact that LPG burns hotter than petrol and therefore is harmfull to the valves, piston rings and the engine tops in general. From what I've heard, LPG convertions is not the best of ideas.

LPG can produce burnt valves, but buy on condition a really nice clean car with no dents scuffs and really good all round order with a nice service history is the way to go.

PS don't forget to get an HPI check

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not read that about Toyota saying not to use it, that's a little worrying, no point in
saving money on fuel if you cause costly problems elsewhere.

I've found another one with very low miles and not yet converted to lpg but
having second thoughts now

But do bear in mind that Toyota themselves have said that their engines is not to be convertet to run on gas/LPG.......

That's interesting - can you provide a link or reference please?

I've done 175,000 with LPG conversion - but it has had the flashlube fitted.

Check that the truck ticks over perfectly
as hunting may mean burnt valves.
Alsi make sure that the AHC works up and down no problems
i bought mine without a flash lube system on with 140k ( LPG on from new)
fitted flash lube at 180k and now at 250k it needs new valves. Other Han these items they should be rock solid. Check the upper tail gate for rust

If you look on the American forums - like IH8MUD.com where there are a lot more petrol vehicles they all seem to say the V8's never tick over smoothly anyway - without LPG!

Mine used to tick over perfectly. Then was lumpy 5 cylinders running between 0-50psi due to burnt valves. All replaced now and perfectly smooth like my old Lexus ls400.

Back