Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

M.O.T

Zeusv8

Sorry if it's the wrong section, but is a busted gator on a lower suspension arm ball joint a fail or advisory? Thanks in advance,James

Zeusv8 said:
Sorry if it's the wrong section, but is a busted gator on a lower suspension arm ball joint a fail or advisory? Thanks in advance,James

Hi James

I am not a expert, but would expect a fail, but suspect someone with correct knowledge will be along soon

I don't know the answer to your question but I do know you can buy the boots on their own and they are quite straightforward to replace.

Ok thanks I've seen oe ones on eblag. Can you recommend a good circlip pliers to do it with?

I think I just used my fingers, expanded the spring clip until it was big enough to slide down over the boot and then let go when it was in the right place :) Or do you mean to get the circlip off the end of the drive shaft? If so there's a thread somewhere about those and I think some links to tools were posted, see what a search on here for circlip comes up with ;)

EDIT: the link from the thread I was thinking of still works - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Armstrong-Loc ... 2c4df3fe31

I thought there was a circlip on the top of the balljoint so that the old one would come out of the top of the lower wishbone so you would need to tap it up from underneath??? I'm going on memory from changing the inner cv boots so I'm probably wrong! Lol

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ah, we're talking at cross purposes, I'm talking about changing just the boot not the whole joint. Pretty sure changing the joint means taking the arm off so you can press the old one out and a new one in but I've not had to do that one yet.

Ah damn it! I didn't know the boot could be changed separate !! Typical of me creating more work!! Thanks

part number is 43345-69015 lower ball joint boot

Too late mate I've bought the full kit already!! Thanks again,James :D

Zeusv8 said:
Last week it was an advisory, this week it's a fail if it would allow the ingress of dirt, which basically means it'll fail unless it's a very small split. I haven't done any testing this week but some of the new failures can be logged as advisories until April but I'm not sure if this falls into this category.

It passed MOT with busted gators. Tester said its a pass because there is no play in the joint itself, not even an advisory!

Back