Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Manual to auto!!!!

foxing2night

I have asked this on another forum???, Would it be possible to put a auto gearbox in a manual??,,
Is this a goer or not,,,,

Darrel :think:

anything is possible but to do this you would need a donor vehicle because the list of parts is massive ive converted a lot of auto cars to manual and you need a complete vehicle to strip all the bits and pieces

I suspect that the output ratio is different so you many need to swap the diffs, also the auto boxes are longer so you may need different props. Also you will need to install an oil cooler, ideally you would need a new rad as the oil cooler is incorporated into the rad. Then you will have loads on the control side of things, interior trip, ECUs, cruise control, dash lights, possibly a new gearbox cross member as well.. Im sure there is more

Just buy the truck with the gearbox you want in the first place IMHO.

I've no doubt it can be accomplished but I don't know why you'd want to in the first place...

Hey, go on... Tell us!!! :p

Gav Peter said:
Just buy the truck with the gearbox you want in the first place IMHO.

I've no doubt it can be accomplished but I don't know why you'd want to in the first place...

Hey, go on... Tell us!!! :p
Well here go,s!!! I bought my 97 landcruiser swb 90 last october,
and to be honest i fell in love with the truck,, Fantastic machine,,,
yesterday i was told that i am having a opp monday after next on my back,, i have been waiting for this for a while????

So i think that i would be better off with an auto,,, but the manual that i have got is in bloody good condistion.
Also i am going to start to look around for an 80 series in the next couple of years???,
I dont do a lot of miles and my 90 is doing around 24 to the gallon,, and i have been told that 4.2 80 is not much less????
Still reading and trying to learn more from this bloody good forum!!!

All the best Darrel

It is a lot of work. You could try and get a Prado engine and auto drive train from a scrapper. They had the intercooler fitted too. The answer therefore being that yes, you CAN get an auto into a SWB 90 cos they did it an a factory option just not in the UK. Not sure, but I think that the auto box set up from a LWB is actually longer for some reason. Might be wrong on that.

MPG wise, the auto is actually better than the manual in my experience (having had both) and yes, the auto 80 isn't far off that figure. I got a little over 20 out of mine before I stuck all the silly bits on and that was with stuffed injectors.

But it would be an enormous undertaking really if you wanted it all to be spot on. And the cost would be pretty high too.

So you could, but I wouldn't.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris said:
It is a lot of work. You could try and get a Prado engine and auto drive train from a scrapper. They had the intercooler fitted too. The answer therefore being that yes, you CAN get an auto into a SWB 90 cos they did it an a factory option just not in the UK. Not sure, but I think that the auto box set up from a LWB is actually longer for some reason. Might be wrong on that.

MPG wise, the auto is actually better than the manual in my experience (having had both) and yes, the auto 80 isn't far off that figure. I got a little over 20 out of mine before I stuck all the silly bits on and that was with stuffed injectors.

But it would be an enormous undertaking really if you wanted it all to be spot on. And the cost would be pretty high too.

So you could, but I wouldn't.

Chris
Thanks Chris for your honest reply,,, looks like it could be the 4.2 then??
it is just that the shape on the swb is awesome,,, Oh it,s a hard life???
Might keep it for a while and see what i am like after my back opp??
Darrel

Great little truck the SWB. But the 4.2 is an utterly different beast. It all depends what you want it for.

In terms of lamping, I can't see any difference between them. Handy having the rear seat for two lampers or for the shooter to slither across and shoot either side.

Rear tailgate is good for standing on though. Lift the top, drop the tailgate then drop the window back down. Good spotting, shooting and lamping platform Just don't put a round through the roof!!

C

Darrel, if you are serious about modifying your SWB 90, you aught to have a chat with Paul at West Coast 4x4 in Southport. I saw a SWB that he'd modified for a customer & he'd done a grand job of it but the customer never came back. I can't recall exactly what the did but I'm sure the engine, gearbox & axles were all swapped about for various other flavours...

Just a thought..

I think you might find it lots less hassle to change over to an 80 :cool:

Back