Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Manually fitting tyre questions

Matt Wright

Garage
Country Flag
south_africa
Hi all

I recently purchased 5 x BF Goodrich Mud KM2 285/75/16 tires and they're great to look at - but now it's time to fit them.
I was quoted £120 at the local dealer who I assumed might be cheaper than Kwik-Fit, to fit the tyres on to the rims alone before balancing / alignment / anything else they can sting me for I'm sure. A few questions I'd like some guidance on please..

1) Is it worth thinking about fitting the tires myself using tyre levers etc at all of just pay the money?
2) If it's worth doing myself, what special tools (tyre levers on eBay look cheap? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1247wt_846 or do Halfords do a good set?)
How many are needed?
Do you need one of those special gripper tools (looks like a large set of vice grips - Devon have them)
3) What are the tasks?
4) Rough idea of how long it would tak per tyre? I'll double it after my self efforts with rebuilding the front axles! ;) Happy to spend the day doing it though as the more I work on bits that aren't the steering wheel the better!

It's (obv) 4 primary and then the spare.. 4 of the existing tyres are BF Goodrich All Terrain 285/75/16's and the spare is a Dunlop thing - will check it when I take it off. If anyone is interested in the tyres please let me know. Pickup in South Wimbledon would be best due to the size of carting 5 around. No charge so if they're of interest please let me know. I'd say 2 are worth keeping and the other 2 have very min tread and are perished so will probably chuck those unless someone wants them..

Thanks a mil

Pay someone else. You should be able to get them done for about £50 on a saturday morning.

Paul

Ok, thanks Paul! Any idea who though as so far Kwik-Fit and the local guys were £££
The local dealer didn't look at all impressed about fitting tyres that weren't purchased from the, or the fact that they were so big?

I don't think your local dealer wants the job. As Paul says, you should be able to get it done for around the £50 mark. I recently pain £50 for 4x 285/75/16 to be fitted and balanced and that included them removing my 37" wheels/tyres and putting them in the back of the truck!

yep get a local place.

I have a chap near me who sells tyres and works on 4x4 as a retirement hobby. he charged me £5 a wheel to fit and balance, if i bring my own tyres along.

Matt Wright said:
Hi all

I was quoted £120 at the local dealer who I assumed might be cheaper than Kwik-Fit,

Thanks a mil

F&$%£^$&V sake, thats expensive.

We have a local tyre man, who will take the old tyre off, and put another on for just 6.00
And for another 1.50, he will balance.

probably deal the 5 for 35,00 balanced.

Graham

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My Local place (brilliant) took the old tyres off, let me take the wheels to be coated, came back then fitted and balanced the tyres for £20. Yes - £20. They couldn't get me the Coopers that I wanted but were more than happy to fit them for me.

£120? You have to be kidding.

Chris

£120 :scared-eek:

I had my dunflops took off 5 bfs fitted and balanced for £50 so do not pay anymore than that.
Joe

I got quoted £120 odd from a few places when I said I had my own tryes, would you fit. Were not interested.

Local place here charges £10 a tyre to change.

They've always been happy to quote for tyres and if not competitive will fit ones I've bought elsewhere.

Cheers

I've never bought a tyre from the place that does mine but they're always happy to fit them, especially if there's a new lad they can all have a laugh at struggling with them :lol: For normal size 4x4 tyres they charge about £10 but for 36" Simex it's £15 for the extra effort, the amount of lead it takes to balance them and the old (bigger)balancing machine they hang onto just to balance my Simex :D There is a cheaper place but they can't balance the Simex and they ripped the bead on one a long time ago so cheapest is not always best.

Thanks John :) £10 each sounds way better and is in line with all the other guys so I'm heading out of London with then and will find a place en route to Gav's house!

Back