Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Marine grease for ball joints ?

Shayne

Guru
4 new ball joints all need greasing and i figure waterproof grease has to be a good call but there's loads to choose from so i thought i would ask who uses what ?

If i buy grease it will be used wherever i need grease , i usually just get general purpose "lithium included" in the small print at my local motor factor .

Silkolene Pro RG2. Use this on the dirt bikes for just about everything and find it very good. Also just started using Corrosion Block grease which is supposed to have superior anti corrosion properties as well as being a dielectric so safe to use on electrical connectors etc.

Cheers TP it looks very similar to the red rubber grease that i use on the brakes :think:

What i had in mind was a grease tube because the upper joints have nipples .

Looks similar but isn't the same stuff. I use Renolit red rubber grease for anything where rubber is involved. Rubber specific grease is usually formulated with some form of natural veg oil rather then mineral to prevent rubber swelling and deterioration.

I would personally use any standard lithium EP2 grease, its cheap and comes in tubes ready for the grease gun.
If you are worried about water ingress probably better all round to give it more frequent pumps to expell any water.

If you are worried about water ingress probably better all round to give it more frequent pumps to expell any water.

Definitely good practise if you do much wading or deep mud plugging etc. Waterproof grease may not wash out or breakdown in water but if the water gets to the bearing surfaces you'll still get corrosion.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back