Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Max lift kit

Higgy

Country Flag
denmark
I think my poor old 80 is ready for some new springs and shocks..... and was just wondering is it ok to go for a 45mm lift (Rough trax kit).... With out not having to mess about with camber adjustment etc etc.... Or am i better off just going for the Standard HD Kit.... ( No difference in Price)........ Was loaded up with fence posts Bags of Postcrete etc and 12ft rails on the roof rack and she was looking a bit sad.......... I just want to swap out the springs and shocks and none of that faffing about Stuff

Not an easy answer that one. Lift and spring rate are two separate factors really. You can have lift but no extra capacity and of course more weight carrying ability with no lift at all. Really decent suspension manufacturers will publish figures on lift height at a constant load. I went with 4" at 600 kgs iirc. I put the kit on and it looked ridiculous. Like 6". As soon as I put all the kit in, it dropped to 4" where it stayed. Problem with temporary loads is that it's only when loaded that it performs correctly. Meaning that the ride can be awful.

Personally in a cruiser that spends most of its life in standard load, I'd go with good quality OEM replacement bearing in mind that this should be able to handle 8 people and luggage straight from the factory. So I wouldn't add any lift, or any extra capacity.

I was thinking that a HD standard kit wouldn't be that much difference to a 45mm lift. would it ?.. I tend to leave whats in the truck, in there all the time... So if im off to Tesco with the Missus, The posts/Rails/ bags of postcrete post knocker/ lump hammers etc etc all come along for the ride........ I think you answered my Thoughts Chris.... I probably don't need a Lift, Just some good HD Stock springs and shocks....... The 80 does look good lifted Tho...

We're running a Pedders +2" kit on our 80, just springs and shocks - didn't need to do anything with the camber, etc - been on a few years now without issue. Personally I think the 80 looks better with a bit of lift and 285s - its mostly aesthetics - but the 80 definitely rides better on the Pedders kit than it did on the old suspension we took off.

Thanks Dave, RoughTrax are out of Stock, And Milners options are just standard stuff..... I could go with RoughTrax Monroe shocks and Pedders Springs... Save a few Bob... I have the full history and every receipt and Invoice for the Truck going back to when it was New.. Folder as thick as an old Phone Book, It wouldn't surprise me if its still on its original springs....

I think it was 4x4 works i got my old man emu at a fair price though it took them a couple of weeks to supply the for the weight i expect to carry (steel bumpers and stuff) and the lift .

I haven't yet got around to making the bumpers so i can only say its comfortable empty and more comfortable with 8 people in the truck .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Anything up to a 2 inch lift can just about still be used without caster correction.... and if your 2 inch lift sags back to less than that when loaded it should be OK ...
However , if you have a 2 inch lift of the front and load the rear so it sags then that also affects castor and can make it a bit vague ...

I've got a +2 OME setup and also fitted castor correction and it did make a difference to the way it drove.... a standard 80 from new had a bit of a "Carlos Fandango" stance with the rear sitting higher....

I've killed my rears by towing the Halftrack Chassis on a very nose heavy trailer and the 80 now sits level..... also a 2 inch lift tightens up the ARB rates and really needs the links extending to get the ARB rate back to where it should be....

Basically if you don't need the lift stay original ride height and just fit new/uprated springs ....

We are very limited on choice in the UK ....I would like some nice progressive springs to give a good ride and +2 lift .... ... I think the old Slinky set up Julian V was running on his 80 is probably the best out there.

Mr Higgy have you given any thought to some air springs have a look at Declans 80 rebuild page five you pump it up when heavy let the air out when running lighter

Now i no longer have my workshop and the ramp etc etc. any work on the Truck is done on the drive, In the howling wing and rain,... So simple and easy is what im after... So just swapping out Springs and Shocks can be done in a morning... Anything Technical or where i have to Pause and think isn't an Option anymore... :character-oldtimer: Il go for Stock HD springs me thinks... Just to put some life back in the old 'Gal' and take away the harsh ride, It feels a bit solid over speed bumps/pot holes etc, The air option would be nice but not justified in this case....... I also just worked out that i can get a full Pedders Spring and Shock Kit for the same price it cost me to have ONE! Diesel injector in the Missus Skoda...... I reminded Her of that when she said "How Much are you spending on Shocks"??:lol:

Think Karl does the kits but unsure as to what is involved with the fitting of the kit as me trailer is nearing completion think it's the way for me to go plus I do some muck away as got a big hole out back to fill in and the back end submarines a bit lot would insert funny smiling face here but seems not to work so funny smiley face and haha

Even HD standard height will ruin a decent ride. If the rides fine and the extra load is infrequent I'd go the air bag route. It won't look sad when loaded up with 20 psi in them for around £100 I think. I got mine off Matt Savage ( next day) but Karl sells the same thing and fitted them to the 100 series.

Back