Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Metalian Maxi/80 Build Thread

Like I said Rich, not arguing a counter case. Just pointing out the limitation of imposing statute law in citizens rather than organisations due to the fact that there isn't a mechanism for promulgation.

Grant not sure if you are aware. Water and electric are a no go mate.

I think this is under control Stu. Water resistant marine switches and everything will be fused in a different compartment near by. It is just a drinking water tap and actually points outside of the trailer when in use.

You might say well if you're not a qualified electrician don't do this stuff.

Definitely not on this one Chris - if I did would be a massive hypocrite. I was thinking along the same lines as you running the earth to everything and having the chassis isolated as it seemed like a better solution. What Rich says makes complete sense to me and seems a better way of doing it. Interestingly the factory wiring doesn't look to be earthed to the chassis at all.

@StarCruiser Thanks for the massive amount of advice above. To summarise this for me I should:
- Earth the 24v battery bank to the chassis.
- Use the chassis to earth the 12v step down converters (30 amps x 2)
- Earth the devices to the chassis where possible
- Run the inverter through the trailer RCD
- Earth the inverter to the chassis
- Inspect the grommets and outer protective sleeve on a regular basis.

I'll be running the inverter through the factory supplied RCD setup it uses for onshore power.

Last edited:
Fitted an 11kg externally refillable "gas it" cylinder. With a host of international adapters it should keep us cooking with gas almost globally.

IMG_9732.jpg
IMG_9733.jpg

I'm not that happy with the supplied mounting straps/brackets. I've struggled to find something already made that will fit this cylinder. Does anyone know of something? As a worst case I'll feed a small ratchet strap through the supplied bracket mount which should be alot more sturdier.

I also need to acquire a shorter high pressure fill gas hose to eliminate any possible wear/movement.

How did you find the Gas It stuff Grant? Did they give you much advise on installation regulations etc?

Definitely not on this one Chris - if I did would be a massive hypocrite. I was thinking along the same lines as you running the earth to everything and having the chassis isolated as it seemed like a better solution. What Rich says makes complete sense to me and seems a better way of doing it. Interestingly the factory wiring doesn't look to be earthed to the chassis at all.

@StarCruiser Thanks for the massive amount of advice above. To summarise this for me I should:
- Earth the 24v battery bank to the chassis.
- Use the chassis to earth the 12v step down converters (30 amps x 2)
- Earth the devices to the chassis where possible
- Run the inverter through the trailer RCD
- Earth the inverter to the chassis
- Inspect the grommets and outer protective sleeve on a regular basis.

I'll be running the inverter through the factory supplied RCD setup it uses for onshore power.
That’s the bulk of it Grant. As Chris has done you can design the likelihood of a problem to the barest minimum. Vibration is the big enemy as it’s likely to be worse in a trailer than even a vehicle.
Follow your inverter instructions closely regarding earthing and plug your RCD into it and have it tested with a proper RCD tester. The test button only exercises it depending on the unit. That way you will see if the neutral is connected to earth, if not the connection can be made at the plug or connection that connects to the inverter.
Also check your droppers can be combined to earth. They probably will be ok but check before ordering and fitting.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
How did you find the Gas It stuff Grant? Did they give you much advise on installation regulations etc?

The kit seems great. Nice quality stuff and easy to install.

Not a huge amount on complying with regulations, just that the kit itself does comply. So if installing into a vented cabinet with an external filler point you should be ok. There is the option of having an in cabinet filler which they say also complies with the caveat saying some service stations may refuse service if filling within the cabinet.

Thanks Rich.

The step down converter doesn't given any warnings about the earths being combined so I'll give it a shot and see.
Often they are shared, it’s just worth checking. You can check with a multimeter set to ohms to see if there’s a direct link or it may be obvious that the terminals are linked or shared.

Like the Gas It. Will look at that for mine I think.

Ref the straps I can make you up straps in webbing (or leather but I'd go with web) if you know what you want.

Sorry for a dumb question.. and my ignorance (I've never used gas, my little camp stove runs on petrol/coleman fuel). So the Gas It system reads to me that you fill your own bottle at a petrol station LPG pump? Isn't that a different fuel or has additives or something? Is cooker fuel Propane for caravans etc??
That said I recall someone using Calor cylinders (inverted) to refuel is LPG converted Land Rover so I guess it is the same thing

Sorry for a dumb question.. and my ignorance (I've never used gas, my little camp stove runs on petrol/coleman fuel). So the Gas It system reads to me that you fill your own bottle at a petrol station LPG pump? Isn't that a different fuel or has additives or something? Is cooker fuel Propane for caravans etc??
That said I recall someone using Calor cylinders (inverted) to refuel is LPG converted Land Rover so I guess it is the same thing

Not a dumb question at all as it does seem strange! I believe the exact same gas and no extra additives etc. I haven’t filled one yet so it will be a new experience filling a trailer with gas!

Like the Gas It. Will look at that for mine I think.

Ref the straps I can make you up straps in webbing (or leather but I'd go with web) if you know what you want.

That's a kind offer - I'll keep having a think and will let you know :)

Someone filmed mine and stuck it on You Tube - without me knowing. Someone commented that it basically inferior and would never sell in Oz where if you wanted a proper trailer you'd get a Patriot.

I took great delight in responding recently when the Metalian won best adventure trailer......... in Australia

:laughing-rolling:

Someone filmed mine and stuck it on You Tube - without me knowing. Someone commented that it basically inferior and would never sell in Oz where if you wanted a proper trailer you'd get a Patriot.

I took great delight in responding recently when the Metalian won best adventure trailer......... in Australia

:laughing-rolling:

Well I contacted both Patriot and the Metalian Agent in Australia... Patriot's website boasts you get a reply in 3-4hrs....still waiting...though I did get their Perth dealer trying to hard sell me a stock unit for a bargain $50k!! The Metalian agent was helpful and informative so no contest who I was going to buy from. Both are good trailers but the service is important and I prefer the Metalian anyhow.

Not to much to show in terms of progress from the weekend. I worked mainly on the electrics with creating a board that will be mounted up above the HCDP behind that slide:

IMG_9718.jpg

Ran some control wires through and put the spade clips on ready to connect to the carling switches. I'm using 7 core 11 amp cable which has the rubber protection and then threaded it un split convoluted sleeving. One loom for relay control and the other to control the levelling air suspension ... more on that one at a later date.

IMG_9751.jpg

The board in progress so far. The smaller 24v to 12v converters seem to be happy sharing an earth with the 24v side in my testing. I doubt they will be happy to run in parallel without a resister inline though. More testing needed on that one. That yellow/red wire to the fuse box is just a temporary one for when I was testing the relays. It's undersize - to be replaced shortly.

IMG_9764.jpg

Back