Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Metalian Maxi/80 Build Thread

Work continued this weekend. I continued to plumb the long range tank in working on the pipe work and mounting of the transfer pump. The filler neck for the long range tank plus the electrics for the fuel gauge and transfer pump still need to be done.

I've been having a right time trying to get the ARB compressor mounted so that it doesn't interfere with the draw runners, too much time doing and not enough time planning. Plan C is to mount it to ply and then attach to the drawers - should be much easier this way.

View attachment 154679

Sarah was working on the tail gate installation whilst I was on long range tank duty and snorkel fitting.
View attachment 154681

View attachment 154676
View attachment 154673
Job done.
View attachment 154677

View attachment 154674 View attachment 154675 View attachment 154678 View attachment 154680

Very nice too, looking the business, nice work indeed :thumbup:

Tidy work there Sarah. Amazing what you can do when you're left alone to get on with it .......:lol:

Thanks Grant very useful on tyres. I was wanting to go 285 but, on the midi at least, looks like they are too wide so I am looking 255/85 R16 now

The tailgate looks fantastic! Going to be a total transformation when finished

Thanks Grant very useful on tyres. I was wanting to go 285 but, on the midi at least, looks like they are too wide so I am looking 255/85 R16 now

I'm sure it's probably the same case on the maxi as well but I won't know for a few weeks yet.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
They are a thing of engineering fabrication beauty. I looked at the price, what I'd use them for and thought, nah.
Mike came round one day and dropped his tailgate to put something in. I saw them in the flesh as it were and before he'd closed it, I'd ordered a set.

That was the same reaction for us Chris when we saw yours. We still have no idea what we are going to put in it but I know it will fill up rather quickly.

Was going to fit a piece of stainless but now I'm thinking my stove may fit in the gap, sooo.

Thanks chaps.
Yes, Steve had the last one.

Sounds like a great trip grant. With the restoration of your 80 thrown in!
I do love the build up and preparation to a trip..

Well that was fun!

I went down to check our garage last night where the best spot to mount the lithium battery will be. There is a possibility it will go between the water tanks in the belly and I wanted to explore that first.

Driving up to it we can see the garage door ajar - heart sinks down and the stress starts building.

IMG_9538.jpg

IMG_9540.jpg

It looks like someone has reversed into the garage and damaged it quite badly - the frame itself at the top was about 10mm out from the concrete so quite the bash!

I'm freaking out at this point and manage to get my hand through the gap and take a photo to see what's left inside

IMG_9702.jpg

Thank fully everything untouched. The guys working across the alley in a little mechanics garage said that it has been that way since last week.

I made a call to our amazing neighbour Garth who has a flat bed truck, he came to the rescue helping load the roof rack and maggi tent out so at least we didn't have to attempt to mount that on top of the 80. Not sure how just Sarah and I would have managed getting that up!

So the trailer is now back on the drive a few weeks early restricting progress on the 80 mods.

@Gr8Yota I can confirm though that 285's definitely won't fit inside the guards even on a maxi. Arch extensions maybe?

Ugh, my heart sank just reading that Grant, glad nothing went missing. Just the crappy job of securing things temporarily and doing a decent repair.

No cctv I guess, to nail the culprit?

Grrrr, s*** you just don't need in your life.

OMG...heart began to sink as I started to read too...glad nothing stolen.

Is the Maxi insured?

Thanks on the tyre info. Think I’m going to go with 255’s if I can get them.

I have my trailer insured through Adrian Flux. Most brokers simply didn't have a clue what it was. One said it couldn't be insured because it had a fridge in it and they can explode. WTF? Costs me £140 per annum. I went through quite a few people to try and get this. It's not a trailer tent. Not a caravan. It's sort of a camping trailer. In the end I did supply some pictures.

Thanks Chris.

Reminds me of the Toyota dealer in the US who told me it was a “federal offence” to export a vehicle out of the US...

I just left AF with my FJ as they kept hiking the price by a stupid amount but I’ll try them.

Back