Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Metalian Maxi/80 Build Thread

The plan is pretty rough still. But starts in Netherlands at wink getting some bar work done and then play/explore around the Adriatic/Aegean until August at Clive’s. Where hopefully we will get all the rust done and meet up with the annual trip. We have to fly back to Cornwall for a wedding around that time too. After that it’s into turkey, Georgia, Armenia and Iran. Zig zag through the stans into Mongolia and cover Russia for the trip back. All subject to last minute changes :)

With the tank it will give us around the 270l mark so I hope around the 1000 mile mark towing the trailer. Wanted it more for taking advantage of cheap fuel and convenience more than super remote travel.... will take a lot of tanks to pay for it though!

Hi Grant, what sort of rust do you have that needs doing?

I could do with some photos to show my paint guy so I can be sure he can fit you in. I know it’s a long way off yet, but he can get a bit busy at times... and it’s better to be safe than ....

Hi Grant, what sort of rust do you have that needs doing?

I could do with some photos to show my paint guy so I can be sure he can fit you in. I know it’s a long way off yet, but he can get a bit busy at times... and it’s better to be safe than ....

Cheers Clive - I'll get some pictures to you. It's the usual front/rear arches and the upper tailgate. The rear arches are quite bad.

Thanks. Maybe I'll be able to join the run to Clive's. I might well be free this year from early June onwards.

That would be great Sarah, we’d love to have you along.

I can’t promise a room for everyone, we have 6 available in total, but according to the thread it seems there’s going to be a bit of a crowd this year :dance: love it :clap: !!!

@Dervis Garip here is what the filler neck looks like in
6AC784B4-1D6A-44C3-BF49-E3F699BEB179.jpeg

@clivehorridge the state of the rust. That rear arch/floor was much worse than I thought. Discovered this whilst insulating.

2224684B-C009-420E-835C-0A17A8E051C8.jpeg

A7F99842-EC86-43DD-B544-30BFD64BCEED.jpeg
BC5BB199-E0AC-471A-8094-BB2CB6E98DBC.jpeg
B51DF353-5E7E-4296-85C2-705DC474D2BA.jpeg
775FEDB6-3386-4AD1-9A84-4CF2626920E4.jpeg
2A321628-2678-49D0-9ABF-AFD65EB29D9F.jpeg
1FFDCF17-9284-4372-AB49-49BDAB88EAFE.jpeg

Ok, safely received Grant, in the next weeks I’ll visit Dan and tell him what he has to look forward to:lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ok, safely received Grant, in the next weeks I’ll visit Dan and tell him what he has to look forward to:lol:
Does this Dan not fancy a full time job doing cruisers? My rear quarters are the same so maybe I'll keep him busy the year after haha

@Dervis Garip here is what the filler neck looks like in
View attachment 154581

@clivehorridge the state of the rust. That rear arch/floor was much worse than I thought. Discovered this whilst insulating.

View attachment 154582
View attachment 154583 View attachment 154585 View attachment 154586 View attachment 154587 View attachment 154588 View attachment 154584

Yes Grant same as mine bought off chapel gate last year.

Thats surprising amount of rust eating away the inner cargo panels...... I feel for you

No doubt its always worse than it looks and I know here in Cyprus its fixable. The rest is kinda normal of signs that appear over time.

Look forward to seeing it all like new :thumbup:

Does this Dan not fancy a full time job doing cruisers? My rear quarters are the same so maybe I'll keep him busy the year after haha

Once he’s in there Grant, he might want to do it all in one hit... he’s a bit like that...

I’ll keep you posted...

My foray into lithium batteries begins. Package just arrived. 24v 100ah should keep the electrickery things running nicely

DEC2DD60-168A-46EA-8A75-D465E41436D6.jpeg

That would be great Sarah, we’d love to have you along.

I can’t promise a room for everyone, we have 6 available in total, but according to the thread it seems there’s going to be a bit of a crowd this year :dance: love it :clap: !!!

Thank you Clive. I should have a trailer by then, so bring my own room. Depends on how much money is left after it's acquisition for fuel!

Im quite happy tenting clive though the ensuite was nice :)

Quick question for you and Chris.... what tyres are you running on your Metalians? Size and type. Thanks

Size is really strange. Can't recall exactly but they're 105's as in aspect ratio 105! They are Khumo and I figured frankly they'd be utter ***** but they're not. They're actually quite excellent. My axle is the 1600 kgs one. I think yours might be bigger. I can't get 80 series alloys on mine.

Thanks Chris. Useful. Makes sense now as we were discussing drawbar height and converting for when he swaps the wheels and he quoted 105 aspect.

I've had 80 series alloys on mine with 255x85x r16 on them. They were literally only just put on to see if they fit so I don't have any more experience with them than that atm ... soon i'll be trying again and flexing the axle etc to see if hopefully 285/75xR16 AT2 tyres will fit ... it could be optimistic but I would just like the same tyres all around.

Work continued this weekend. I continued to plumb the long range tank in working on the pipe work and mounting of the transfer pump. The filler neck for the long range tank plus the electrics for the fuel gauge and transfer pump still need to be done.

I've been having a right time trying to get the ARB compressor mounted so that it doesn't interfere with the draw runners, too much time doing and not enough time planning. Plan C is to mount it to ply and then attach to the drawers - should be much easier this way.

IMG_9699.jpg

Sarah was working on the tail gate installation whilst I was on long range tank duty and snorkel fitting.
2019-03-11 (1).jpeg

IMG_9507.jpg

IMG_9488.jpg

Job done.
IMG_9512.jpg

IMG_9503.jpg
IMG_9506.jpg
IMG_9513.jpg
IMG_9512.jpg

Back