Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

mmm, lotto win, what would you spend it on?

We’re fortunate enough to own our house and we wouldn’t want to move whatever the finances were.

I’d give up work easy, in an instant. I’m fortunate too because I like my job, but there’s no pretense that I only do it for the money.

So with a tidy windfall I’m sure it would be fun to build a new 80. I wonder what it would cost to buy all new parts, probably the best part of a million, given the price of genuine parts?

And now I’ve seen the recent Legacy thread, I’d have to try to get a “new” 40... :whistle:

Like you Clive i own my own house & wouldn't want to move, however i am retirement age now but my pension is crap & can't afford to stop working, having said that i have got up every day of my working life & gone to work, wouldn't know what else to do with myself.

Like you Clive i own my own house & wouldn't want to move, however i am retirement age now but my pension is crap & can't afford to stop working, having said that i have got up every day of my working life & gone to work, wouldn't know what else to do with myself.

Oh, I’d be up every morning the same, JM, delighting in not having to go to the office!

I’d keep myself busy, for sure.

Might have to buy a ticket this weekend :lol:
most we won was £25.

We're fortunate enough to own ours at 35 and grateful for that. We look at properties but the houses we want only come up now and again. We want to stay in the village we live in. We viewed one not long ago but it's over priced.

For a win of say £3mil I'd use a big part to set up my own place. I enjoy my job and couldn't do nothing all day.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Depending on how much i won, assuming it was millions, and the fact i am already retired, i would get an architect to come in and design a new home on my existing block of land. I would then make sure my children and grand children were set for life, and if there was anything left, a would get a top of the range 200 series.

Holidays, well i have traveled all over the world, but not yet seen Australia fully, so i would become what we call down here, a grey nomad, whilst my new house was being built. I had a dream about this a while ago and i was really enjoying it, until the bloody cat jumped on my head and i new the dream was over.

Another variation on this question - what would you do all day without work ?

Believe me . . When you retire (assuming you have a family and hobbies) you won't know how you ever had time to go to work :doh:.

Forget all those thoughts of lazy days pottering about catching up with stuff !

Bob.

shooting, fishing, adventures, projects around the house, pretty sure it will keep me busy :)

Hard to say, I’m just looking forward to the dilemma :lol:

More leisurely gardening (ATM it’s only the essentials, and they’re done in a rush only at weekends);
Owning a dog maybe and going for walks;
Learning how to read (books I mean, could never devote time to it before);
More hands-on with tinkering with the truck;
Some extra sleeping/relaxing;
More time with Ana in her free time (which never seems to coincide with mine ATM);
Start swimming again.

Just a few for starters...:icon-biggrin:

Farming is a way of life rather than a job same as fishing , remove the need to make it pay and your left with a hobby .

I think people underestimate how much doing nothing costs , i was young free and single renting a 2 bedroom house when i smashed myself up on a bike , prior to that work and drink is pretty much all i did but i'd still somehow accumulated a few grand in spare beer tokens . When that money replaced my income i spent it at double the rate and i have idea why other than a vague notion that every day became 3 times longer .

Last edited:
For those who say you wont be busy, well bollocks to that. I have 5 grand kids, one who know goes to Uni. They live about 45 minutes away from us in a place called Burra, a typical bush hamlet in NSW. They go to school in the ACT, look on a map of Oz guys. If one or more is sick then guess who they come to, yes thats right, and there goes the day. At the moment i have my 15 yo grandson living with us. He has been with us for 3 months and is expected to be here a bit longer, the reason being, he went out on the farm to spray the weeds dressed only shorts and t shirt and got poisoned through his skin using concentrated roundup, one of the most lethal weed killers around. They are trying to ban it here for this very reason. So he cant return until the poison leaches out of the soil for fear of contaminate him again, no the Russians didnt do this, this time.

So my retirement has meant very little travel, no holidays and 5 kids at my place in the school holidays, although the adult girl can be trusted, to a certain extent, but its because of the isolation of the farm they live on, they moved there 18 months ago, why, god only knows. They had a good big house in town, now they have my small house and its a real pain in the arse i can tell you.

Apart from the usual day to day living stuff, go fishing, get on the ham bands more, ride my bikes and drink beer. I’m close to retiring from work so hope to do all this anyway, with big win I could just do it more:icon-biggrin:.

All the people who are going to buy a farm will have plenty to do.

Once there was a farmer, who won the lottery, really big. So the tv-crew came for an interview and asked him what he was going to do ? He said, i'll pay the bank. Then they asked him: and what about the rest of the money ? The farmer answered: the bank will have to wait a little longer.

Greetings from Brasil.

It’s odd, and not even morbid, but IMO the older you get, the more you think about how much (or little) time you have left on this ‘coil’ rather than what you’re going to do with it.

As I said before, I’m just looking forward to the luxury of waking up in the morning asking the question “what shall I do today” instead of rushing almost mindlessly and robotically through the same routine of getting up and going to work as I have done for the last 47 years, straight.

47 years FCS, jeez, it’s long enough if you ask me...

Totally agree with Bob. I've been retired for 7 years am wondering if I'll ever get a day to sit around and do nothing!

Although this thread started out as 'winning the lotto' for most of us it's never going to happen (added to the rumour that you have to buy a ticket as well!) but it seems to have slipped to 'what you do without working'. So in that vain, several friends have retired and some don't have a long list of things they do, or want to do, and they seem to struggle, regardless of funds available... but not me. Not that we have loads of £s - just pensions but every day is a day to do &/or learn something and all without the seemingly endless slog of having to earn money just to live.

Personally I love being retired - loads to do and not enough hours in the day!

Regards,

Rodger

With you on That Rodger! I am pretty sure I can fill my time - I might even learn Spanish...once I have mastered French, which TBH is almost impossible!

Back