Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Model question.

wobbly

Garage
Can anybody tell me......

What year did the auto box change from mechanical ? 94/95?

Trying to narrow down a spec list.

Also....

I understand a Jap imort wont have the front/rear difflocks - would it have a rear lsd (like my Prado)?

Pete

Last edited:
PROBABLY won't have front/rear diff locks but a few do, most have centre lock and rear LSD.

Cool,

Can I tell by examining the diff case if it has a lsd? ie serial number.

I know I can lift the truck and spin the wheels, but not always that easy.

And, my 95 series has an estimated life of 100,000 miles for the lsd - is there a similar known figure for the 80?

Cheers

Pete

No its easy tell from inside the truck, it either has a rotating black switch beside the steerin wheel (to the left) or if it has no lockers its blanked off, not sure about the LSD lifespan to be honest.

Far as I know, they either have lockers front and rear or LSD its just an 'either/or' job

One of my imports has 332K kms and the LSD works fine. If it's working when you need it it always works if you see what I mean. An LSD and a pair of waffle boards will get you out of anywhere a pair of "working" lockers would.
Debate starts here!!!

Andy

They never have LSD's on the front axle, it would make the steering unpredictable for a start.

Andy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Would be interesting to see how an LSD on the front would handle.......................

It'd be impossible though really?

Can anybody tell me......

What year did the auto box change from mechanical ? 94/95?

My 92 has a mechanical/hydraulic auto box, most 93's are solenoid controlled.

My 92 import had no difflocks and an LSD rear.... the code on the VIN plate tells you what it has.

I now have an ARB locker in the rear.

LSD are fitted to quite a few front wheel drive cars these day to minimise torque steer - some of the performance Fords have Quaife LSDs as standard for example.

Good,

Dont need the diff lockers, but need an lsd at least. Same setup as the Prado which has been spot on.

Next question......wheel sizes.

Seen some with 15" wheels, some with 16"

Would a 16" model year have uptrated brakes as standard?

So far, sounds like a 94 or 95 year will be the target area, 12V fine, 24V a bonus.

Pete

AFAIK, pre 93 (you'd better check this date on Wikipedia or somewhere) has smaller rotors and 15" rims. Post 93 have bigger brakes and 16" rims to accommodate them.

Cheers.

So started with low knowledge, now seem to be looking for a 93 - 95 12V Auto on 16" rims, prob Jap spec.

Shouldve bought Andys when I had the chance......

Money not in bank yet though, hence trying to spend a bit of time not making an impulse purchase.

Cheers so far

Pete

LSD are fitted to quite a few front wheel drive cars these day to minimise torque steer - some of the performance Fords have Quaife LSDs as standard for example.

The fitting of an LSD in a FWD car increases torque steer, it does not minimise it. Hence the very trick suspension set-ups required to try and dial it out as found on a few fords and renaults etc. They are fitted to improve traction, whether in terms of handling grip, putting down a lot of power, or both.

If it has a 'VX' badge, is that a UK model?

Chatting to a mate at an electrical factors today, and theres a White 'L' Reg 80 parked nearby, cant get in to see it yet, but it is a VX.

Apparently it hasnt been used for several years, which may or may not be a good thing!

Pete

No VX is a general model description, applies to imports as well. They go GS (base), GX (mid range) and VX (top range). But there seems to be a bit of 'spec over lap' as far as I can make out as in a VX can have no leather or electric seats and a GS can have a sun roof and air conditioning!! Suppose they were 'options' back in the day.

Personally I hate leather, I had a CD spec Cavalier once upon a time with a lovely black leather interior. All it did was make my back sweat if it was anyway warm at all!

Back