Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

More questions from the newbie.

mike smith

Country Flag
australia
I plan to do a fluid change on my new vehicle. It has the 4 speed auto. I would just like to know, should i go with expensive ful synth fluids or what is the consensus on fluids. I want to change them all, except the coolant as i had a brand new radiator installed, the one it came with blew on the way home from the dealer.

The reason i want to change all the fluids is because i dont know when they were last done. The service record, well its like a fairy tale, i dont know what to believe.

Personally I use Toyota fluids and filters for everything as they have bigger brains than me.
It may be worth asking the Toyota Dealer even if you then use a different brand

Others may say different, but Mike, it's not a Ferrari. There's no real benefit from deviating from the handbook. If it needed something made from Angel's tears then it'd say so. It's a big clunky car with big clunky gears. It just needs basic fluids in the right spec. So in the transfer box, front and rear diffs just go to the local parts shop.
Unless you're having a problem with the shifting on the auto box there's really no need to fanny about flushing it as I have already said. Just get it done. Look at the fluid that comes out. It it looks relatively clean and translucent, then I wouldn't mess. If it comes out brown and stinking then maybe pull the sump pan off and have a wipe out. Mainly to stop that gunge contaminating the new fluid.

I can't help but say I do feel that you've over thinking this a bit mate.

I'd agree with Ben on filters but there's nothing special about Toyota oil. Do they have their own refinery somewhere?

I get coolant at Toyota (Toyota red that is the right one - they changed the spec in the last 10 years), but oil is whatever the Penrite recommended grade is.

Back