Garage
I have had this since it was fresh out of the box,
It has served me well and I still smile every time I drive it :thumbup:
09acaf29.jpg

049d29f5.jpg

f6876e46.jpg

88394308.jpg

eeaf2e1d.jpg

But she is now up for sale because she is not practical for my road trip from Ireland to New Zealand.
It will be a sad sad day when I sell it....... :cry:

Trying of find the right vehicle for the trip now.
I have been looking for a good 80 but I am very impressed with Gary Stockton's 120 and mods he has done to it.
So I think that may be a viable route also.

Here Is one I am looking at but trying to find one in black....
85c92337.jpg

Gary has done good work to his 120.
The 120 is in my opinion more than capable for what you have planned, it's just a shame your's is the 4 door SWB, and not the 5 door LWB.
Oh well.
I don't think the 80 series is that much bigger inside, and there is a hefty fuel surcharge for pushing an older 4,2L engine, when one has a newer 3.0L developing more HP, with better economy.
Times are changing , , , ,
At the end of the day, it depends on how much "hard core" off road your planning to do.
It sounds to me, that your trip will almost be tarmac 90% of the way, with some gravel thrown in.
If that's the case, then an 80 series, as good as it is, is a bit of an overkill.
The 95 series 5 door LWB Colorado's are very capable, and for me, they offer great value for money, remembering that in 2001 'sh they got the newer 120 series D4-d diesel engine.
The live front axle on yours and the 95 series is more than capable for getting you to AUS. in comfort.
The 80 series isn't going to offer the same ride quality comfort, with it having an almost same front axle as the rear axle, it's harsher on the tarmac, where you sound like you will be spending most of your travel time.
But then you already know how comfortable your 120 is any way.
I have a 50mm Iron man spring lift on mine
Also a 2kW inverter for mains fridge / freezer
Snorkel
Slightly oversize tyres 265 x 70 x R17 (here with the mud's on)
[attachment=2:kw922mce]Land Cruiser (9).jpg[/attachment:kw922mce]
[attachment=1:kw922mce]Land Cruiser (8).jpg[/attachment:kw922mce]
[attachment=0:kw922mce]Rooftent (4).jpg[/attachment:kw922mce]

Gra.

Attachments

• Land Cruiser (9).jpg
    Land Cruiser (9).jpg
    154 KB · Views: 281
  • Land Cruiser (8).jpg
    Land Cruiser (8).jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 273
  • Rooftent (4).jpg
    Rooftent (4).jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 272
You might want to get a copy of "from here to there" by Jon & jack Faine.

You can get paperback, or audiobook via iTunes

They drive a 120 from Melbourne to London, the last chapters are interesting when they reviewed what worked and what didn't also a cost analysis which is scary !

Ya they are my thoughts too so I am kind off back in favour of the 120 again.
Even though alot of my journey will be tarmac, I know anywhere along the way if I see a off road track or cross country route, I know I will instantly take it.
I am just that kind of guy who likes to explore what I can't see around the corner where most other people can't go and I will keep going until the bitter end, especially when I have a LC that is capable to go almost anywhere..
And with all the off road books and maps out there for Europe and the rest of my trip, I will hopefully explore as many as I can.
So even though most of my main route will be tarmac, all my side routes will not and some will even be snow and ice :thumbup:

Your 120 Graham is more or less exactly what I have in mind,
Any chance I could borrow it for a few months haha :lol: :lol:

AndrewT said:

They drive a 120 from Melbourne to London, the last chapters are interesting when they reviewed what worked and what didn't also a cost analysis which is scary !

Cheers Andrew I will check that out as soon as I can
The costs are looking a bit scary alright but its a once in a lifetime opportunity for me so I say why not :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
AndrewT said:
Ps. They explain how they managed to get through china.

Ya I found a web site about 3 Irish guys who drove a BMW 316i to Sydney and they said China was a nightmare for getting paperwork sorted for them and the car.
I can only travel it with a specific tour guide who must be with me at all times and they sort out hotels and your route and everything...
It will be interesting to say the least

AndrewT said:
That looks like a great read, I've just bought it for my Samsung tablet, thanks for the heads up Andrew :thumbup:

Vaughanm20 said:
Well I swear Capt. T. Kirk borrowed it for a space trip, and brought it back with over quarter million miles on the clock :thumbup:

Gra.

Graham said:
Vaughanm20 said:
Well I swear Capt. T. Kirk borrowed it for a space trip, and brought it back with over quarter million miles on the clock :thumbup:

Gra.
Only a quarter million miles, he didn't go far then :lol:

Back