Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My 'bargain' 24v

Here's another what if...

View attachment 7618

View attachment 7619

My daughter Ana 4 yrs old, she's horse riding, climbing trees, skiing, biking... What if? I'd rather she lives her life to the full, obviously, we'll encourage her to take care, but to take care doing the things she loves to do, not by not doing them.

Sounds like some of my friends daughters:
-One at the age of 2 went white water canoeing (now aged 6 she has her own kayak) with her parents on a regular basis; she also wore the bearings out on her balance bike...
-Another is 7 and competes in Team Penning over here in Aus; OK there is an adult in there with the 3 kids on horses, but there's also 30 bullocks in there with them... Last one we went to she'd stopped using her pony and was now using a full size stock horse (one of her Dad's working horses; they do contract mustering) Reggie the wonder pony was at least around her head; Buck is nearer 5'6 at the shoulders... She regularly has falls as she tries to do things on Reggie (most recently cracking a stock whip, standing on Reggie's back... bareback...) which are done in a controlled manner.

Have a read of Cotton Wool Kids; if kids don't learn how to fail/not succeed then we end up with a whole load of people who are not willing to take a risk because they afraid of failing.

Toughen up Princess, and have a teaspoon of cement in your drink!

Also remember it's not the falling that hurts, it's the stopping bit that does (ie when climbing with ropes, that moment the rope grabs the harness and you discover the leg loops weren't as tight as you thought and bits have moved and got trapped!!)

Here's another what if...

View attachment 7618

View attachment 7619

My daughter Ana 4 yrs old, she's horse riding, climbing trees, skiing, biking... What if? I'd rather she lives her life to the full, obviously, we'll encourage her to take care, but to take care doing the things she loves to do, not by not doing them.

Sounds like some of my friends daughters:
-One at the age of 2 went white water canoeing (now aged 6 she has her own kayak) with her parents on a regular basis; she also wore the bearings out on her balance bike...
-Another is 7 and competes in Team Penning over here in Aus; OK there is an adult in there with the 3 kids on horses, but there's also 30 bullocks in there with them... Last one we went to she'd stopped using her pony and was now using a full size stock horse (one of her Dad's working horses; they do contract mustering) Reggie the wonder pony was at least around her head; Buck is nearer 5'6 at the shoulders... She regularly has falls as she tries to do things on Reggie (most recently cracking a stock whip, standing on Reggie's back... bareback...) which are done in a controlled manner.

Have a read of Cotton Wool Kids; if kids don't learn how to fail/not succeed then we end up with a whole load of people who are not willing to take a risk because they afraid of failing.

Toughen up Princess, and have a teaspoon of cement in your drink!

Also remember it's not the falling that hurts, it's the stopping bit that does (ie when climbing with ropes, that moment the rope grabs the harness and you discover the leg loops weren't as tight as you thought and bits have moved and got trapped!!)

Looks like duplication gremlin is at it again!

Yes Ed, I agree. Actually Dan's post with the vid of his boy driving the 80 set Dan and me off on a tangent to this thread (notice how I managed to blame Dan for this!). But it's an interesting topic on its own IMO.

I'm wholly against forcing kids to do things they don't want to do, but I'm well in favour of encouraging them in their own pursuits and feel that it's a parents duty (and pleasure) to help them do these things in a controlled and safe manner.

I'm waiting now for the flurry of posts saying your daughter's on a horse with no helmet or protection boots, gloves and so on. OK, they may have a point, but again it's all about degrees of safety, and maybe I'm guilty of missing the mark. I've done it myself riding hundreds of kms downhill biking without a helmet and pads, stupid maybe, but that's been my choice.

But the global approach "that's dangerous, don't do it" is certainly not the answer. As a kid I was always free to go out and climb trees, build dens, dam the stream, milk crate paths to the island in the stream, all potentially lethal activities with no adult supervision whatsoever! The "guardian ever present" approach is, to me, stifling kids these days.

Accidents will happen and maybe I'll be proved wrong and regret my approach (heaven forbid) but I don't want my kid to be bound to the TV watching cartoons, just because its safer.

My wife has said to me "where's Ana?". I've replied "in the garden" then we've just looked at each other for a moment, then she's said "I suppose she's OK". Yes, she's OK, and learning far more than if I was with her guiding her how to play.

Last edited:
"milk crate paths to the island in the stream" Oh! I remember that well, . . . . . . I fell in. :laughing-rolling:

Looks like duplication gremlin is at it again!

Yes Ed, I agree. Actually Dan's post with the vid of his boy driving the 80 set Dan and me off on a tangent to this thread (notice how I managed to blame Dan for this!). But it's an interesting topic on its own IMO.

I'm wholly against forcing kids to do things they don't want to do, but I'm well in favour of encouraging them in their own pursuits and feel that it's a parents duty (and pleasure) to help them do these things in a controlled and safe manner.

I'm waiting now for the flurry of posts saying your daughter's on a horse with no helmet or protection boots, gloves and so on. OK, they may have a point, but again it's all about degrees of safety, and maybe I'm guilty of missing the mark. I've done it myself riding hundreds of kms downhill biking without a helmet and pads, stupid maybe, but that's been my choice.

But the global approach "that's dangerous, don't do it" is certainly not the answer. As a kid I was always free to go out and climb trees, build dens, dam the stream, milk crate paths to the island in the stream, all potentially lethal activities with no adult supervision whatsoever! The "guardian ever present" approach is, to me, stifling kids these days.

Accidents will happen and maybe I'll be proved wrong and regret my approach (heaven forbid) but I don't want my kid to be bound to the TV watching cartoons, just because its safer.

My wife has said to me "where's Ana?". I've replied "in the garden" then we've just looked at each other for a moment, then she's said "I suppose she's OK". Yes, she's OK, and learning far more than if I was with her guiding her how to play.

Actually I'm delighted to see your daughter on the horse without a helmet!! I've ridden horses all my life and represented my country as a junior and at university level so I know what i'm talking about too !!
I have lost several friends in falls from horses over the years and have another good friend who is paralysed from the neck down since 2007 from a fall, I can name 5without even having to think about it and of those all were wearing all the safety gear at the time because they happened racing or in other competition. If your number is up its up, a lot of horse riding safety, like most things in life is about not doing STUPID THINGS, not about rules, regulations and equipment!! And we tend to break less and heal more quickly when we are smaller, lighter children so that is the best time to learn!!

And those lessons are learnt through all that childhood trial and error, for example don't gallop your pony across the fields in snow if it has shoes on because they pack up with ice and guess what happens next....................!!

It really is like most things in life, SPEED DOESN'T KILL, its going at the wrong speed in the wrong place that kills (ie bad driving/judgement), to judge speed or anything else requires one to LEARN JUDGEMENT, something that cannot be done supervised, wrapped up in cotton wool in front of cartoons or in front of a playstation.

Oh dear Dan, sorry but we seem to have (between us somehow) hijacked your own thread. I'm sorry if I'm to blame for that! Maybe Crispin can extract these posts out from here and insert them into a new "What should we let our kids do" thread! :whistle:

Although a lot of good comments from several members, they really don't belong in the 80 Series category!

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Ed, I started a new thread on this just on case there's more to say on the subject.

Dan can have his thread back now!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

:lol: No probs lads! This isn't really a technical thread anyway? Its more me going on about how cool 80's are and such:icon-biggrin:
TBF what we've been talking about has been sort of 80 related? As in,is it safe for a 2.5YO boy to drive one? :think:

If I ever have kids they will do the exact same.
I worked on a farm when growing up and around 14 was driving tractors trailers on my own. My kids will learn very early (if they want to)
I think it's great to see. As long as the parent is fully aware what (Could) happen and ready to take control back.

Same here, grew up in uganda on a coffee plantation and it was a tractor at the age of 9/10 that i drove first.
we also had a series 1 landrover and a bsa 175 (bantam it was called i think) which we had a lot of fun with. Although i never quiet mastered the art of riding a motorbike, i don't know maybe 1 day i'll get the hang of it.

I'll second driving an 80 is cool and safe, especially in low, and I'm still not sure how he reached the pedals!

I had a BSA Bantam 125 and later a 175, heavy things for the engine size. I made it worse later by dropping the 175 engine into a Triumph TigerCub frame. Great little bike to ride! I also had a BSA C 10L (1948) and a C 11G (1952 IIRC). All my bikes were fished out of the stream and rebuilt, the C 11G was abandoned in a shed until I rescued it. They were like mint when I finished with them, wish I had them now...

315/75 GG's fitted!:icon-biggrin:
Pics to follow but yes,as expected,it does look cool!:icon-cool:
Need to shave a little off of the inner end of the front bumper end caps and maybe a little off of the mudflap on the n/s/f.Was darkby the time I finished last night and didnt have the time or inclination to fuss around with it anymore!
I did take a pic before I started of the new tyre stood side by side with a 285 BFG that came off,the GG is not on a rim:wtf:

WP_20130813_001.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the comparison pic it tells me i have absolutely no chance of getting 315/75's under my 90 :icon-cry:

am i right in thinking the 315/75 is the same as 35/12.5/16
stu

Yes Stu,thats what Im lead to believe also.
For anyone thats interested,as they sit on my truck at this very moment medium load on standard 80 rims(8j?) @38psi they measure 850mm(33.5") tall,the tread itself is 265mm(10.5") wide and overall tyre with comes in at 320mm(12.5"). There is a slight buldge at the bottom,will jack one up when I get a chance for true unladen height
I did measure the 285's earlier,off the rim and they were 800mm (31.5") tall and 270mm (10.5") wide.
Ive done about 150 miles on them so far,mixed speeds/conditions and am very happy. Quieter,smoother than the BFG's better feedback,nicer ride and they dont seem to have sapped any power,in fact it even feels livelier,dragged another 80 on my trailer today for about 45-50 miles and was very happy with how it performed,my trailer isnt light and is on the wide,low profile tyres which tend to make them feel heavy? Unloading the other 80 didnt make it feel much different,certainly didnt feel like I just taken the best part of 3t off. Have I mentioned how cool these trucks are?:clap:
Anyway,enough of that. Pics!
Opinions please too,my Mrs deemed it Ridiculous,unnecessary and totally over the top,Sucess I reckon?:dance:

WP_20130814_001.jpg
WP_20130814_002.jpg
WP_20130814_003.jpg
WP_20130814_004.jpg
WP_20130814_005.jpg
WP_20130814_006.jpg
WP_20130814_007.jpg
WP_20130814_008.jpg
WP_20130814_009.jpg

Back