Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My 'bargain' 24v

Captainoversteer

Supporter
Well it could of gone either way,but Im pleased with my puchase. In fact I think Im in love!
I did roadtest a few 12v's in my search but only for 5-10 miles each. Driving 250 miles home today made me realise what animals these things are!
Its not without faults,of course but for what they are and what I ended up paying, put it right isnt going to hurt too much. The Garage hadnt got round to valeting it as they were still cocking about with the brakes when I arrived this morning! I had a poke around whilst on the ramp then and came out pretty happy.

Seems someone (not the garage)has recently put 2 new calipers on,n/s/f and o/s/r. In doing this theyve decided to clamp off the hoses with a pair of mole grips (can still see the tooth marks!)and goosed the front hose causing slow application and release of the caliper. Toyota parts van turned up whilst I was waiting with what was apparently the wrong hose so I took the opportunity to look disapointed and make an offer for it in its dirty,dodgy braked state:icon-biggrin::icon-cool: You dont ask,you dont get hey? Lets just say I paid the man and took off grinning!:whistle:

So, the drive home? This thing flys! Impressed is not the word,Im glad I bought a manual but I the only time I really changed gear was to slow it up, power is sooo smooth and relentless.
Its definately seen maintainance,theres no doubt of that but the oil pressure gauge only runs a couple of mm above the first mark? Is that right?
Box is quiet,reasonably precise and easy to change gears although 3rd-2nd did catch me a couple of times but ok 95% of the time.Clutch is not the greatest. Gearbox/transfer box is dry
Theres no zero smoke, no major rattles,vibes etc.A slight 'thunk' from n/s/r over a decent sized pothole.
Engine starts as soon as you look at the key,has recent(ish) looking filters/vee belts on it.Recent looking genuine starter,very new shiny alternator,fairly new looking genuine exhaust system. On the downside PAS pump has a drip hanging off the bottom,back end of the sump is stained with oil,not enough to be damp but enough for dirt to have stuck to it over the years.
Front axle swivels are damp,nearly new discs,pads and n/s caliper. O/s cv is 'clicky' on lock,under power.
Rear axle pinion seal has just start to 'sweat',new o/s caliper.
I did briefly try the difflocks,both lights flash,front went solid after some 'rocking' back and forth,rear did not.
First big concern is it does skip a fair bit turning on hard lock in high or low,will jack it up tomorrow and investigate further.
Props have seen more than once grease in their life(a build up on the adjaceant body)
Underside of the truck is generally clean,but hasnt bean cleaned.Theres no mud jammed in orifices etc,most of the chasssis and axles still has black paint. back end of the o/s inner sill is a little flaky but solid.
Topside she is a little scruffy,mainly the bonnet(dent and a rust bubble) and scratches down the o/s as well as the rear quarter panel dent. Tailgates look to be excellent,not noticed anything around the rest of the windows or top of windscreen.
Interior is fairly grubby, steering wheel and front seats reflect the mileage rear bench is pretty tidy and 3rd row look to have never been used!
Door cards are complete and tidy enough,headlining not bad,carpets dry and everything works apart from the elec ariel and interior lights.
All in all a result I reckon?
will jack it up etc. tomorrow and take the all important pics!
Bed now,been a long,exciting day!

Sounds like a bargin to me.

Well done. Im sure the pump will be factory if theres no black smoke. They go alot better with a tweak :icon-wink:

If its binding a little where your steering it could be the VC is seized (visus coupling) in the transfer box.

defo result:dance: :clap:

PS. With the binding,did it do that when test driving. If you select low box and it hasnt got the CDL switch it will bind up.If you then put in high it could well have been stuck in when testing.

Last edited:
Will try for some underside shots too,in comparison to others ivr looked at its mint!
I'm with you on the VC Karl,will wip that out one evening.
Other potential headache is the airbag light is on,the steering wheel runs the plastic cowling when cold and sqeaks,could this be related?

Other potential headache is the airbag light is on,the steering wheel runs the plastic cowling when cold and sqeaks,could this be related?

Does the horn work???

The 'Spiral Cable Assembly' below the steering wheel carries current to the horn as well as the airbag - if the horn doesn't work the cable assembly could be faulty. (I suppose the cable assembly could just have a faulty airbag connection, but the horn test will reduce the probability of it being that).

Bob.

Possibly. Under the wheel is a airbag sensor type spool thingymajig lol. They sometimes break. Another chap had that issue not long ago he had a wheel off me air bag controll box and the bit under the wheel then sent back what he didnt need. Turned out to be control box.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You do make that 80 sound very sexy :drool: I had thought that I'd never want an 80 and if I were ever to change Fiery I'd perhaps get myself a LWB Collie, but apart from a small rear suspension tweek I'm still very happy with Fiery and see no reason to change her for the foreseeable future :icon-biggrin: Then I read your post and something inside me just went 'Mmmmmm.......that sounds nice :think: Interesting :icon-smile: I wonder if...........' Step away from the Forum Steven :icon-exclaim: :icon-biggrin: :icon-wink: :lol:

Great news! :clap:

But..............................

useless_without_pics_2gif_zps87f58bd2.jpg

You do make that 80 sound very sexy :drool: I had thought that I'd never want an 80 and if I were ever to change Fiery I'd perhaps get myself a LWB Collie, but apart from a small rear suspension tweek I'm still very happy with Fiery and see no reason to change her for the foreseeable future :icon-biggrin: Then I read your post and something inside me just went 'Mmmmmm.......that sounds nice :think: Interesting :icon-smile: I wonder if...........' Step away from the Forum Steven :icon-exclaim: :icon-biggrin: :icon-wink: :lol:

Even I'm getting tempted! :lol:

You 2 are not the only ones being tempted!

A classic case of head vs heart for me; head says "What's wrong with the 95? If does everything you want it to do (other than give 40mpg! of course)". Heart says "but just look at the 80, isn't it wonderful? ....you'd be so much happier in an 80 wouldn't you?"

:think: :icon-evil:

If I had family/people to move around, or was planning a big trip/expedition then I'd have bought the vehicle voted the best ever 4x4, The mighty 80 series! :icon-biggrin:

But being on my own, and wanting a truck just as a toy to drive up and over the gnarliest terrain I can find then I think the 70 is perfect! At the moment an 80 would be too big for my needs. :icon-twisted:

But maybe one day! :icon-cool:

80 Double Cabbed... not that uncommon in Aus... or if you really fancy luxury you can get the Lexus version of the 100 and 200 series as a Double Cab (all aftermarket conversions, but they are smart!)

Haha,have I started something here?
Horn does work btw,will the non airbag wheel off of an earlier truck fit? Whats on there is pretty minging and Id rather not have the airbag anyway.

Ben/Chad slow down there is a queue you know ..... :eusa-naughty:
Queue :icon-question: :icon-exclaim: It's starting to look more like a steeplechase to me :lol: :lol: :lol:

What's that ol' saying 'He Who Snoozes, Looses' :lol: :icon-biggrin: :icon-wink: :icon-smile:

Last edited:
80 Double Cabbed... not that uncommon in Aus... or if you really fancy luxury you can get the Lexus version of the 100 and 200 series as a Double Cab (all aftermarket conversions, but they are smart!)

Sorry Ed but in OZ there is only one cruiser I really want and thats one of the new 70 double cab pick ups! :dance:

As great as 80's are and as much as I like them, living in a country where theres so many great 70's around I doubt I will ever consider an 80.

In the UK yes definitely.

But not in OZ. I want a 70 with that nice big 4.5 V8 TD! :icon-twisted:

As for 100 and 200 there both IFS so there not tough enough for what I want. :icon-wink:

Does the horn work???

The 'Spiral Cable Assembly' below the steering wheel carries current to the horn as well as the airbag - if the horn doesn't work the cable assembly could be faulty. (I suppose the cable assembly could just have a faulty airbag connection, but the horn test will reduce the probability of it being that).

Bob.

And I was that chap. If the column cover is dragging on the back of the wheel its almost certainly because someone has had the cowl off and not lined it up properly when they've put it on - mine was exactly the same when I got it - guess in both cases someone had prodded about trying to fix the airbag, given up and just lashed the cowl back on. :? A bit of care when you line it up putting it on and it should clear by a few mil and no fouling. BTW - Thank god(s) for St Karl who got me out of the poo on that one.. without the airbag it wouldn't have passed the local vehicle import test, and going to MrT for a solution would likely mean a new mortgage!

Sounds like you've bagged a reasonable enough truck for the money though mate - pleased for you.

Oh - and the earlier wheel fits, but you lose cruise control of course....

Last edited:
Pics as promised!
Done what I could with phone camera but Im not a photographer:think:
I know I could of washed it first but I wanted to get the wheels off and have a decent look around and didnt want it dripping on me. I'll clean it off a bit tomorrow
Opinions welcome,You could count the no. of cruisers Ive been underneath on one hand but looks pretty good to me?
EnjoyWP_20130124_025.jpgWP_20130124_024.jpgWP_20130124_023.jpgWP_20130124_022.jpgWP_20130124_021.jpgWP_20130124_020.jpgWP_20130124_019.jpgWP_20130124_018.jpgWP_20130124_017.jpgWP_20130124_016.jpg

Back