Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My HJ 75 series ute

Got the old girl out today so i could clean the shed up a bit and find all my tools, turned it around so i can work on it easier,
next on the list is to sheet the roof and mount the solar panels, make the rear wheel mount & jerry can holders,
fit the airbags, lift the tray, paint the tray, install new cab mounts, will adjust the HID's once i fit the bags...still a lot of things to do but its getting closer :)
grill%20outside%20017_zps80xhs4ez.jpg

grill%20outside%20021_zpsijjvbrfb.jpg

grill%20outside%20019_zpsxyh0uysh.jpg

grill%20outside%20015_zpsciswgune.jpg

grill%20outside%20023_zpsxpfgpdwi.jpg

Got the flares on, worked all weekend, got half a day at work tomorrow then i am taking the rest of the week off to work on the cruiser :)
also working out where to mount the spare wheel and jerry cans, got one spare hanging from the rafters while i work out some bracing and brackets :)
IMG20170601180552_zpsrxfjbdtp.jpg

flare_zpsczsghcm4.jpg

IMG20170601143428_zpsidj1ezwt.jpg

rear airbags are installed, got the rear end leveled up using only 35psi will get it out of the shed for some better pics over the weekend, bags have lifted the tray about 2" giving lots more clearance, i mounted the two air valves just near the undertray toolbox out of the way and easily accessible.
bags 004.jpg

bags done 002.jpg

installed some insulation on the roof before i clad it in aluminum, also insulated both canopy doors as well.
canopy insulation roof.jpg

canopy insulation doors and roof 045.jpg

canopy insulation doors and roof 043.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
got a chance to wire up the new tail lights this afternoon, just need to drill & screw them on & tie the wiring back up out of the way in the harness now, I think i prefer these ones over the LED ones someone had previously fitted :)
Before.
grill outside 023.jpg

After
tail lights wired up 067.jpg

tail lights wired up 068.jpg

Got the roof on, used 4 tubes of sikaflex 11FC two rows of rivets where the two sheets overlap by 5" down the center, run the wiring for the solar panels through the roof sheets, mounted the rain gutter, alloy angle will cover the front and back of the canopy where the roof sheets meet the front & back of the canopy, next job will be to wire up & mount the solar panels :) still also trying to work out where to mount the spare wheel & jerry cans on the back hence the rear still being exposed so i can weld in some extra supports. & wire up the 240 volt Led lights.
canopy roof on 026.jpg

started getting the 4 x 60 watt solar panels ready to be mounted, am joining 2x2 panals together using alloy angle which will then be secured to the roof with sikaflex & tech screws, will wire them all up in parallel before screwing them down, hoping to have them all hooked up and bolted down by tomorrow night, then i can start working out how i will mount my awnings :)
solar panals 030.jpg
solar panals 031.jpg

Finally got the old girl out of the shed, gave it a quick tub & went for a bit of a cruise out towards Mudgee to get my start battery charged up again as it was low from sitting around the shed for around 12 months, the 4 x 60 watt solar panels were working great in overcast conditions, i need to read over all the redarc bms instuctions so i can get familiar with how everything works but so far so good :) truck drove really nice, might even take it somewhere for a shakedown next weekend camping somewhere to test out all the canopy power fridge lights bms etc :) still need to make the spare wheel mount & jerry can holders then hook up the 240v wiring, ( will go see an electrician tomorrow, then i can clad the rear of the canopy and finish it off, but for now its derivable & usable :)
landcruiser washed out cruising 003.jpg

landcruiser washed out cruising 007.jpg

painted the spare mount & brackets and fitted my 2.5 x 3 meter awning this afternoon
smile.png

spare wheel & awning 003.jpg

spare wheel & awning 002.jpg

spare wheel & awning 040.jpg

2.5 x 3.0 meter pull out awning fitted :)
spare wheel & awning 029.jpg

spare wheel & awning 020.jpg

spare wheel & awning 015.jpg

Reactions: uHu
Had a few days off this week & decided to head over to Burrendong dam for a few days, weather was good apart from a little wind on & off during the day yesterday, took my cattle dog "Dust" with me on his first camping trip, had him on a run for the first few hours until he settled down then let him off, he was pretty good & went swimming without being encouraged on his own, he looked like he belonged in the bush and was chasing Kangaroos around until a big red one shaped up to him and put him in his place,
The canopy setup worked a treat & the battery system did its job without any problems, the first night i started cooking late and there were lots of bugs with the white LED lights on, i ended up leaving the lights off & had a bug free remainder of a night, the bed in the canopy was comfortable & Dust had his own stretcher on the ground
smile.png

burrendong camping 307.jpg

burrendong camping 302.jpg

burrendong camping 303.jpg

The next morning i packed up & drove around looking for some deeper water as i was right at the back of the dam in the back waters, i ended up near the 2nd boat ramp which no one used while i was there, i only saw two boats on the lake in the three days i was there, i guess going during the week is good if you want to camp without the crowds
smile.png

after setting up camp at the second camp site i decided to hook up a couple of yellow LED light bars to try out that night, I was surprised to find out that the bugs completely stayed away under the yellow LED's I decided to see if it was the yellow lights not attracting the bugs and turned one of my normal led lights on, well within seconds i was swarmed by bugs again so i quickly turned the white led back off, i left the yellow ones on and had a bug free night so i am going to change all the led lights in the canopy to the yellow ones, they still throw just as much light and don't look any different when on than the white ones, just a little less bright but hardly noticeable,
did a bit of fishing and had fun catching lots of redfin during the day on light line, then just on dark i caught 5 catfish all around 1.5 to 2 kilo, had a few big hits on the yabbies and worms & then everything went quiet once the wind picked up, the water was nice and clean & i enjoyed my little break away from work
smile.png

there are electric BBQ areas throughout the park as well as amenities and hot showers, there are also remote toilet blocks in the bush off the side of the tracks, there are fish cleaning tables throughout the park located close to the boat ramps,
all in all everything was clean and a great spot to visit,
the canopy worked well and i got to find out what worked and what changes i want to make, mainly fiddly bits like the lights, i also need to get myself a table of some sort & hook up my water tank so i don't have to carry water containers, also noticed i need to make some wind shields for my gas stove as it was slow cooking with gas in the wind
smile.png

this is the second camp site i found near the boat ramp, lots of shade during the day was great.
burrendong camping 414.jpg

burrendong camping 438.jpg

burrendong camping 366.jpg
burrendong camp 2.JPG

burrendong camp4.JPG

burrendong camping 469.jpg

got lots more pics on my camera, these are from my phone and i didn't get time to resize them so i hope there not too big,
best barnsey

Very nice, it looks like you had a nice break and got away from it all for a bit.
Your truck is looking good and that second site looks lovely, so any plans to add to the truck or change anything around other than the LED swap?

Very nice, it looks like you had a nice break and got away from it all for a bit.
Your truck is looking good and that second site looks lovely, so any plans to add to the truck or change anything around other than the LED swap?
I need some work space so maybe some sort of table to clip on where the tray side boards used to mount, had plenty of storage space but need somewhere to put it all when i get it out hence the mess in the kitchen area, i will probably buy one of these to add to my awning as well as another awning for the other side with a screen enclosure :)
one of these for the fridge kitchen side.
awning mesh room.jpg

and one of these for the bed side.
awning room.jpg

Both of those look like they will do the job, it's often useful when out camping to have a little more living space, especially space that grants you a level of privacy, certainly in crowded camp sites or just to keep the insects off you.

finished making brackets for the jerry can holders, almost ready to clad the rear of canopy in alloy sheet :)
jerry can holders 013.jpg

jerry welding 033.jpg

jerry welding 032.jpg

jerry can holders 022.jpg

jerry cans mounted 008.jpg

Back