• Yes, keep its racing heritage

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • No, it now a motor caravan

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Too boy racer pretentious nonsense

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Cool truck. I've seen a quite a few of these overloading campers in various places and i've had the thought of building one in mind for a while. Really looking forward to following this thread.

It looks like you've found pretty much the perfect base vehicle. 220kmp!!! thats going to be nothing short of terrifying....

However the main problem that myself and many members probably have it that there aren't nearly enough photos on this thread - Please - more photos

Epic!

Please keep the posts and pictures coming :)

Lovely!
Wait one... 16 speed manual. Did i read that right?

Yep, it has a double H pattern 4+4 and splitter for each gear.

It looks like you've found pretty much the perfect base vehicle. 220kmp!!! thats going to be nothing short of terrifying....
However the main problem that myself and many members probably have it that there aren't nearly enough photos on this thread - Please - more photos

I've done 150Kmh in it when testing offroad and that is frightening enough, especially when so high off the ground. Gotta have a screw loose to go faster.
Will be a long build, so lots more pics and tech stuff to come.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You make it sound just like flying!
Nah, flying at that speed is pretty tedious and boring.... this was bloody scary. The owner then took it and did 2 air jumps to demonstrate the suspension. Then showed it will wheel spin in all first 9 gears :wtf::icon-biggrin:

I've been having a whole heap of "interesting" discussion with the DVLA and VOSA, as it doesn't have a Tacho or a speed limiter... they can't get their heads around this fact and keep quoting regs that don't apply.

I think that if you get the basics in as a camper (bed, sink etc.), and register it as such. might make things easier.

Yep, it has a double H pattern 4+4 and splitter for each gear.

I've done 150Kmh in it when testing offroad and that is frightening enough, especially when so high off the ground. Gotta have a screw loose to go faster.
Will be a long build, so lots more pics and tech stuff to come.

so that means you've gone 20kmh faster off road than i've managed on tar in my 105!!!!! WOW

Cool blog by the way

As long as you have a sticker that marks the vehicle not for hire or reward you don't need either.

Private use runs rings around most hgv rules.

This will be interesting.... considering something similar myself... but new house is taking priority at the moment....

As long as you have a sticker that marks the vehicle not for hire or reward you don't need either.
Private use runs rings around most hgv rules.

Correct.... however to have the AVT done, it is an automatic fail without both installed regardless of private use or otherwise.... None of the exemptions apply so until it is registered as a motorcaravan (which can't happen until after the conversion) it cannot be registered without.

If anyone has any ideas on how to insure an HGV for private use, please let me know. No one wants to touch this as a private HGV.

Maybe try NFU or Footman James and describe it as a show vehicle ?

Why can't you register it as a camper and do it all after the box and everything is fitted.

Just build some kind of camper back in what there is for registering it.

Where is it registered now.

Looks awesome, looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

The 80 feels a bit worrying past 90 I bet that really feels interesting flat out.

Maybe try NFU or Footman James and describe it as a show vehicle ?
Tried both those but not interested. To be a show truck it must be a "classic". Even tried to show it as a race truck, but computer said no.

Why can't you register it as a camper and do it all after the box and everything is fitted.

Just build some kind of camper back in what there is for registering it.

Where is it registered now.
Stu, to register as a motorcaravan, you have to provide receipts for the build/parts etc etc. The fixtures must also be permanent and the box must have a door and at lest one window. Cant just bodge it and hope the DVLA fall for it.

Why can't you build it then register it?

I need to register it and insure it to drive it. I cant have it low-loaded everywhere for the next 12 months whilst it being built. It's just getting VOSA/DVLA to agree.

Back