Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My quest for a new 80

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Guys, thought I would start a new thread on this one seeing as funds are hopefully getting closer. Easier on iphone too not having to wade through 20 pages each time. Once more, many many thanks for all of you good wishes and offers of help.

OK to get the ball rolling, we all know the madness that is going on at the minute with Cruiser prices, but I have been watching this one since it was posted. Not a single bid? WTF?
OK it mentions it had a new box in 07. Good, then it'll be in good condition then. OK might not be, but given that these are selling with only three wheels on and no engine, what's the matter with this one, plague?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1993-TOYOTA-LANDC ... 1e61f70a1a

Look, it's got some bits and pieces to get you going but it's a K and I'd like an M, but other than that it's not a bad truck, so what's going on? Any ideas. Don't get me wrong, I am NOT going to bid on this one. So no need to start the alarms ringing. I'm just baffled. Are people waiting til last second, hoping that they can snipe it before it reaches £25,000?

Chris

For some reason I recognise the seller name on that truck - POMRACER...

Other than that, looks a nice truck.

Have you posted the same auction twice buddy

Good to hear things are moving along :cool:

It has been listed twice mate.

Some dont get bids on. Maybe people have rang and he wont take less than xxxx for it. |Who knows

karl

Chris, are you dead-set against a petrol 80? One with LPG might be bearable on running costs. I had a browse through Autotrader - not a single diesel 80 for sale by a private seller... :think: So the sharks have possession of most of the diesels for sale - some real dogs there too but all wanting proper money.

Petrols still seem to be less popular and prices reflect that. For example, there's a very clean one listed on ebay today, 100k miles on the clock '97 model. The diesel equivalent would be through the stratosphere already. Ok adding LPG costs money but I think you could still have less money in and end up with a newer, clean truck.

A lot of these ebay diesels look very sad... chances of ending up with a lemon must be getting higher by the day. Obviously we're keeping an eye out for you, so fingers crossed!

Looks well used which should keep the price down yet be ideal for someone who knows what they're doing, so long as there are no major faults.

Well, it's not that I am dead set against petrol as a means of propulsion. Nope. OK I do like the fact that oil burners are simpler, generally have more torque and run under water, but that's not it. OK, I would not run a straight petrol, that would be financial suicide for me, but the problem with LPG is that you need to put a tank somewhere. Not in the boot. Nooo waaaay. I need an 80 BECAUSE of the boot. OK so underneath? Not a chance, not if it means giving up the spare wheel space to hang the bloody thing off the rear bumper. One thing that is absolutely on my 'not a chance in hell' list, is a rear wheel carrier. I am in and out every 23.46 seconds and having to deal with that would make me MENTAL. I know many of you have them, but we all use vehicles in different ways and as a shooter with a dog, this is, for me, simply the number one 'no'.

Once we find a way if getting LPG into the sills or stored inside the spare wheel, then I shall consider a petrol.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
i think my neighbour offered 3800 for this truck last night and he turned him down

Hi Chris,

Would you consider a 120 series?
The fuel economy would surly be a consideration.
For example, if you bought a 120 instead of a 80, you could save on fuel from the minute your off.
Rough maths,
Your 80 was getting generally 24 is'h
The 120 can get generally 28 - 30 is'h
This is a better economy of around 25%
If your doing some thing like 8000 miles a year, then with the price of fuel, only set to rise, and your plans to keep the LC for a few years, you may consider to bite the bullet now, and go more economical.
334 gallons for the 80 series, 227 gallons for the 120 series
Thats about £700 a year saving, 100 gallons or about 500 liters.
Maybe driving more than 8000 miles a year, save faster.
Definatly fuel going up, save faster.

I know you had a 120 company vehicle, and I think you liked it.

Graham

Graham said:
Hi Chris,

Would you consider a 120 series?

Graham

Too many electrics.... :mrgreen:

/runs and hides

Graham I'm not sure if you need drugs or to stop taking the ones that you are on!

A 120?

I'm not even going to answer that!

Chris

Chris,

Look here

http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopi ... highlight=

HI ALL, sad to say im selling my M reg 4.2 vx auto. (uk car)
I've had the car 18months but it has been in the family 7 years, i bought it from my uncle at the start of winter 09 just to see me through the snow, what an amazing car ! ended up using it every day since but just changed my job and i've got a works motor , was keeping the cruiser but after 3 weeks and only using it once it's in the way so sadly it's time to sell.
I'm sure everyone on the site knows how good these thigns are so no point in me raving about the uses of the car on all surfaces or its ability to tow anything !

I'm the 7th owner.
MOT until Oct 2011
Taxed until end Aug 2011
Just done 201,000 miles
Had a major service inc cambelt at 191,000
4 x new tyres at start of this winter. Hankook Dynapro MT. LT265/70R16. Cost £440.00 loads of tread on these still
2 x spare tyres that came off when the new ones went on and still have loads of tread will go too.
Nice alloys.
Full leather
Rear leather seats are here in mint condition, they've not been in the car for at least 7 yrs.
Heated leather
Electric sunroof
Electric everything
A.B.S.
Brakes just stripped and serviced and a new master cylinder only last month
New exhaust section fitted last month too. ( front flexi )
All the usual Landcruiser Bits !

The car also comes with some of the usual problems you expect from this age cruiser with 200,000 miles on it.

small amount of rust on tailgate under window
rear wiper not working ( it was until about 6 weeks ago so im sure it's an easy fix)
sticky/slow electric windows.
the interior is in good condition for a 200,000 mile car i think ?
wear on steering wheel
wear on drivers seat
other than that not bad at all ! oh pass side sun visor is missing !

as for the outside of the truck there are small scuff on both sides of the front bumber
and a very small dent on off side rear quater and a small crack on off side rear wheel arch (done at same time)
other than that it looks great for a 1994 cruiser !
none of the usual rust around the wind screen or anywhere except the tailgate.

overall this is a soild, mechanically sound, super reliable truck, that is good for another 200,000 miles yet ! easily ! and i'm going to be very sorry to see it go !
And surprisingly good on juice for a big powerful truck im getting 480-500miles on a tank of derv (80litre)

I'm looking for £2500.00 for the truck and I'm near Driffield, East Yorkshire if anyone is interested please get in touch.
If i knew how to put pics on here i would but........... but if you want me to email you some i think i can do that .

Guy. cont : 07979432751.

thanks.

Hi Chris,I viewed that red cruiser about 2 months ago (pomracer)
Offered £2700 was turned down.
Speak to me I'll tell you what its like.
Andy

You probably recognise "pomracer" from the ebay auction for a Toyota dog guard which I won. The car was on site when I fetched it, so I had a good look. IMHO its a tired one,lots of money spent I grant,but with a patched sill and a small hole just below the rear o/s window you would also be constantly chasing the bodywork.
£2700 was a fair bid IMO but the 95 petrol/lpg one I bought for £3000 with half the miles conditionwise was from another planet.

Andy. I need to speak to you anyway. I shall give you a shout Friday ?

Chris

Just rang about a red N plater in Leics. Looked very nice, manual, VX 150k on the clock. £4995. Guess what, went in an hour!

I'd have considered stretching my budget for that one

Chris

Chris,

This is probably over budget but over on TLCoUK, User Gordini911 is selling his 80.

This is the ad:-

Hi all,
Time to move on, for sale my much cherished 1997 ,4.2 manual GX Amazon in red with 162000 miles.I have had this vehicle three years with no problems.2 owner car, first owner used for school run only no tow bar fitted and I have used the vehicle for my daily run around .In the last two years the vehicle has had,
new air con rad and drier,new front flexible exhaust section,full front axle and cv overhaul and two new batteries.The only problem I know of is the rear locker is erratic and the cd player is not working.I have this advertised for sale elswhere at £7999 ono. My tel no`s Mob 07730435235. work 01748822947. home01748824190.I am based in Richmond, North Yorkshire.

Back